Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Drop in Air Filter

Old 11-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
NORCAL Tacoma is on a distinguished road

NORCAL Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Drop in Air Filter

I'm looking for a recomend on a dry drop-in air filter to replace the stock one.

I've seen a few here that use the oil variety, but doesn't that run the risk of clogging the MAF sensor.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i think most on here would agree in the AFE dry filter...so oil, so no chance in the clogging
Old 11-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
yeah,the afe dry filter is probably the most popular here. the oiled filters arent that bad though.....just clean them on a normal basis,and dont over oil them.......and the maf will be good to go.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #4
NORCAL Tacoma is on a distinguished road

NORCAL Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Afe

AFE sounds like the way to go. Thanks guys.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:57 AM   #5
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I would definitely go AFE dry foam, but I didn't find one for my truck until after I had ordered an oil-gauze one.

The oil-gauze filters can leave oil deposits on you MAF sensor, but it is easily cleaned. Still - go with a dry filter.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:17 AM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

anyone have an idea if the afe will fit on my airaid intake in place of the oiled filter i have now?? just wondering.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^You need to know what size piping you have where the filter attaches, most likely 3", but that will tell you what cone filter you need. BTW, you can also go with the AEM Dryflow. I used it on my Altima and was pleased with it. There is no Dryflow for the drop-in crowd (like me) as of yet.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
^You need to know what size piping you have where the filter attaches, most likely 3", but that will tell you what cone filter you need. BTW, you can also go with the AEM Dryflow. I used it on my Altima and was pleased with it. There is no Dryflow for the drop-in crowd (like me) as of yet.

maybe the dryflow is the one i was thinking about. i'll measure the opening later. i do think it is 3 inches though. i lile my airaid filter, but cleaning it, drying it, the oiling it/reoiling it gets kinda old sometimes. i think the dryflow would be a good timesaver.