Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

running 93 octane

Old 06-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #21
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriley727 View Post
I don't know if late model tacomas have knock sensors or not but if they do, the computer should advance the ignition timing when 93 is used and generate a little more power.
They do, and it does.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #22
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
i only use chevron in all my cars or texaco which is the same company....since they have techron....to keep the carbon buildup off the valves and such....truck performs great with these...in the past i used exxon on vehicles but i'm not sure if it cleans the engine as good as the techron......something i have noticed on all cars is that your car seems to have a little more power when you first fill up at a gas station...i dunno if it's cuz the gas is fresh or what...lol
Old 06-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #23
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoja View Post
i only use chevron in all my cars or texaco which is the same company....since they have techron....to keep the carbon buildup off the valves and such....truck performs great with these...in the past i used exxon on vehicles but i'm not sure if it cleans the engine as good as the techron......something i have noticed on all cars is that your car seems to have a little more power when you first fill up at a gas station...i dunno if it's cuz the gas is fresh or what...lol

All gasoline sold in the united states has essentially the same level of engine cleaning power - it's federal law that they do so.

As long as you're buying gas from a reputable company (the big names), you'll be fine.

It seems, from reports on here, that Chevron, BP, and Shell consistently offer premium fuel with the lowest ethanol content though - again, assuming they aren't required by their state laws to add a certain % (many states require some portion of ethanol in gas).
Old 06-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #24
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Is it ok to use 93 octane one week and 87 another.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #25
Deckplate is just really niceDeckplate is just really niceDeckplate is just really niceDeckplate is just really niceDeckplate is just really nice

Navy: Senior Chief Petty Officer ret
Name: Jerry
Deckplate's Tacoma Gallery
I tried this with my Taco and my wifes RAV4 (4cyl). The truck seems to run a little better with the 93 and the performance/mileage did not change with the RAV. I do not shop any particular brand either.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #26
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus Truck View Post
Is it ok to use 93 octane one week and 87 another.
Per Chris 4x4, the late model Tacos need at least one tank for the computer to adjust the MAF so that the engine gets the most out of whatever fuel grade you're running. Picking a grade and sticking with it is apparently the way to go.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #27
sriley727 will become famous soon enoughsriley727 will become famous soon enough

sriley727's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, to all you brand loyal fuel buyers, I'm about to break your heart. All of the oil companies pump their fuel through the same pipelines as the rest of the oil companies. The different brands of fuel mix in the pipeline and when you go to the local exxon station to buy gas, you are actually getting a mix of exxon, shell, bp, chevron, etc. gas. You are essentially getting the same gas from every station you go to.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #28
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
How to reset the ECU? Lift the negative lead on the battery?
Old 06-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #29
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Well if the ECU is supposed to adjust to different grades of gasoline my truck definitely did not seem to take to 93 too kindly. I thought after running three tanks through it would have started to adjust if it was going to. Oh well it cost a few more dollars to try it and see...back on regular now.