Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

running 93 octane

Old 06-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
running 93 octane

I had a road trip with around a thousand miles so I thought I would put the 93 octane to the test in my truck.('09 access cab v6)

It seemed very sluggish and passing on the highway could get pretty iffy with the truck feeling like it was dragging an anchor. I hated it. Acceleration almost non-existent. I was using 93 octane from Chevron and others. Not sure if it had any ethanol in it or not. Gas mileage was not any better either. Inside of exhaust pipe outlet was covered with black soot where before it was relatively clean.

So I spent about 25 to 30 cents a gallon extra and I am going back to regular unleaded. My truck just runs better on regular.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
I highly doubt one tank of gas caused your exhaust to gunk up.

Chevron doesn't use ethanol, at least not around here. If your truck runs better on 87 then go for it! It is cheaper anyway haha
Old 06-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
I used over three tanks. Going back to regular. My truck ran like shit on 93 octane.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by commtrd View Post
I used over three tanks. Going back to regular. My truck ran like shit on 93 octane.
That is interesting. The compression of our engines is supposed to perform better with higher octane. Not to mention chevron provides one of the highest quality gases you can easily get.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have never liked Chevron. My Trucks seems to not like Chevron, or Mobil....
Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I have never liked Chevron. My Trucks seems to not like Chevron, or Mobil....
Thats very interesting because my truck seems to thrive on it. Its the only chain i have found that my truck seems to like
Old 06-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Thats very interesting because my truck seems to thrive on it. Its the only chain i have found that my truck seems to like
I think it has more to do with where th agasoline comes from, than it does the chain. Out here, We have 2 fuel distributers, that deliver the gas to the chains. We have Union, and Firebird. Fuel from Union seems to suck, while fuel from Firebird seems to give good performance.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I think it has more to do with where th agasoline comes from, than it does the chain. Out here, We have 2 fuel distributers, that deliver the gas to the chains. We have Union, and Firebird. Fuel from Union seems to suck, while fuel from Firebird seems to give good performance.
Good to know!
Old 06-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
commtrd
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
I filled up at several different stations (not exclusively Chevron) twice at Valero stations once at an HEB and the rest at Chevron. I really don't feel like it is Chevron gasoline per se rather that the engine in my truck is not high enough compression to really need a slower burning gasoline. The results I got seem to bear that out. I have a Pro-Dry drop-in filter, Magnaflow muffler, 265/70/R17 tires and 5100's all around with the fronts set on 1 notch up so the lift is not excessive. In other words, the truck is not radically altered from stock. So my results did not indicate (to me) that it is a benefit to use 93 octane gasoline. Someone else may get better results on the higher octane from their truck which I cannot explain. All I can say is for the considerable higher cost of premium, the benefits were not there. It would be very interesting to know for sure what the control algorithms are implemented in the computer(s) for the 4.0 litre V6 engines. Also what the actual compression ratio is supposed to be in the V6. 93 octane is primarily there for use in higher-compression engines (and air-cooled etc.) to help prevent detonation due to higher compression and/or hotter running (air-cooled). Usually a higher-compression engine is said to be running well over 10 : 1 compression ratio.

BUT if someone else's truck seems to run better on 93, then pay up! I am looking forward to getting all that 93 out of my tank so my truck will accelerate again.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
commtrd
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe the 4-cylinder engines do run better on the higher octane gasoline. When I had my 2000 model with a 22RE 4-cyl. it ran like a top on regular. It REALLY hated any ethanol though...
Old 06-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Maybe the 4-cylinder engines do run better on the higher octane gasoline. When I had my 2000 model with a 22RE 4-cyl. it ran like a top on regular. It REALLY hated any ethanol though...
He's talking about a V6.

My 4 banger seems to do pretty good for me with 91, don't have 93 around me.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
Rude Boy |><|
Phantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Phantom_X-SP's Tacoma Gallery
My truck kicks ass on 93 octane. I use Shell V-Power only.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Mine ran great on 92 octane. 23 MPG.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom_X-SP View Post
My truck kicks ass on 93 octane. I use Shell V-Power only.
I have been running both BP and Shell 93 and my truck feels so much better on it.

It is very noticeable over the 87 I was using.

I could even tell the difference between the BP 93 and the Shell V-Power. Shell will get my business!

As for MPG, I am only getting about 1.5 mpg better. I am stretching my test over 5 tanks and have 2 more to go.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #15
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had a road trip with around a thousand miles so I thought I would put the 93 octane to the test in my truck.('09 access cab v6)

It seemed very sluggish and passing on the highway could get pretty iffy with the truck feeling like it was dragging an anchor. I hated it. Acceleration almost non-existent. I was using 93 octane from Chevron and others. Not sure if it had any ethanol in it or not. Gas mileage was not any better either. Inside of exhaust pipe outlet was covered with black soot where before it was relatively clean.

So I spent about 25 to 30 cents a gallon extra and I am going back to regular unleaded. My truck just runs better on regular.
I had the same experience--Ran 91 for awhile, then 87. With the 91 it felt like driving with the e-brake on. I ran it down to near empty and filled up with 87 and it ran sooo much better. Much more responsive and better MPG. What gives??
Old 06-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #16
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Going from 87/89 octane to 93 isn't going to make the truck perform badly. In most cases you won't see a difference running a higher octane, unless you are custom tuned, knocking, or running more spark advance then normal.

You said that the tail pipe had a lot of black build up which tells me it was probably running rich. That seems to be your issue, not the octane level. Octane levels won't dictate what you AFR will be unless you custom tune it, or put the ECU into its low octane mode (I forget the technical name). If that's the case, then resetting the ECU will set it right.

I would be willing to bet if you reset the ECU and continue to run the 93 it will run the same as it did before.

You are correct with the purpose of higher octane, and you are correct that the 1gr is a 10:1 CR motor.

During summer heat I highly recommend higher octane to protect the motor.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:05 AM   #17
dwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura about
Name: Kevin
dwntwnall4u's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
Mine ran great on 92 octane. 23 MPG.
Did you get 92 in San Diego? Where?
Old 06-25-2009, 03:52 AM   #18
Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?
coma09 will become famous soon enoughcoma09 will become famous soon enough
coma09's Tacoma Gallery
87 has more 'power' than 93. The higher octanes are for higher compression engines, and don't detonate (ping) as easily as loer octane rating. The common misconception is 93 gives more power ... only if the engine has the higher compression (high performance engine, eg) So sports cars/'race' cars use 93 .. but not because it's more powerful fuel
Old 06-25-2009, 04:42 AM   #19
Rude Boy |><|
Phantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Phantom_X-SP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coma09 View Post
87 has more 'power' than 93. The higher octanes are for higher compression engines, and don't detonate (ping) as easily as loer octane rating. The common misconception is 93 gives more power ... only if the engine has the higher compression (high performance engine, eg) So sports cars/'race' cars use 93 .. but not because it's more powerful fuel

Old 06-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #20
sriley727 will become famous soon enoughsriley727 will become famous soon enough

sriley727's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if late model tacomas have knock sensors or not but if they do, the computer should advance the ignition timing when 93 is used and generate a little more power.