LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Mufflers: Choices

Old 07-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #1
IndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to behold
IndigoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mufflers: Choices

I've searched and searched, and posted on the end of old threads, but nothing really has answered my questions. I'm looking for a low growl out of a new muffler, but when I'm cruising around, or on the highway, I don't really want it any louder than stock (esp. in the cab). However, when I stomp on it, or get it up around 3-3500 rpm's, I want to know its there. What are my options? I've been debating on the Flowmaster 50 SUV, Magnaflow (what size is best for this? Bigger, say the 22/28"? or smaller?), and the TRD catback. I like the stainless options of the TRD and magnaflow, and have heard of the issues regarding rust w/ flowmasters. If i got 3-4 years out of the flowmaster before it rusted, I'd be happy. Thanks guys for your input. I have a 07 V6 Sport Access Cab 6speed.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
I have a magnaflow (Just the muffler) and I love it, great sound not to loud in the cab till you step on the gas (the growl your'e looking for). What I like most about it is dosen't sound like a ricer. by the way it's a straight through muffler hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:08 AM   #3
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
Well I have the flowmaster so I guess I am biased. It performs exactly the same as what you are looking for. However if you decide magnaflow, when picking your size just remember the smaller the muffler the louder and larger, the quieter. Good luck buddy

EDIT: Oh and remember that flowmaster is baffled therefore you may loose a few HP (nothing noticeable, just worth mentioning) and magnaflow is straight through design as mentioned above.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
I have the TRD catback and love it. It's unobtrusive at idle, almost as quiet as stock. When you get above 2500 RPM you and those next to you in traffic know it is there. 3500 RPM and higher sounds like a fucking F-15.

This may just be my experience, but I found it to sound different with different fuel grades. 87 gave me a more traditional "gurgly" rumble, while 93 gives a smoother, lower tone. I prefer 93.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
O.F.
bb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: JFK Center, Fort Bragg, NC
bb609's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed Flowmaster duals on my '09 this morning and not all that crazy about the way it sounds. Hopefully, it grows on me. I had a Gibson on my '03 and really liked it, not ricey at all and not too loud but you knew it was there.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Self-proclaimed TW Greenhorn
spitwad75 is on a distinguished road

spitwad75's Tacoma Gallery
It's my first post here but I thought I could chime in since I threw on a Flowmaster 40 series just this morning. Considering it's piped up to a 6-banger it sounds pretty good, a little ricey but not too bad. Probably not what you're looking for because it's much louder then I expected and you can definitely hear it in the cab on the highway. For $125.00 installed I'm happy with it but can't say I'd do it again. I say go for the TRD cat-back. Take this advice with a grain of salt, after all I'm a Taco Verde/Greenhorn/n00b.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Be a thinker, not a stinker
usctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

usctacoma's Tacoma Gallery
If you want it quiet in the cab, then cross Flowmaster off your list.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
IndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to behold
IndigoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
TRD catback is growing on me. I wanna free up the exhaust sytem a little, help for better flow, and maybe get another mpg out of it. What kind of price is the TRD goin for?