Notices

Exhaust Opinions

View Poll Results: New Y Pipe or Keep Stock Y Pipe
Stock Y Pipe 4 50.00%
New Y Pipe 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust Opinions

I know everybody says, "Its your truck, do what you want"

I just want your opinions. K?

Headers came in today. I'll be going to the exhaust shop after I install them to do the rest of the exhaust. My plan was to get a whole new y pipe (maybe 2 1/2 or 2 1/4) back with 50 series and dump before the axle.

Or I could just keep the stock y pipe and weld in the 50 series.

Its a good price difference, guy quoted about $70 for 50 series and dump. And he quoted about $250 for new y pipe, 50, and dump.

So, what do you think?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Name: Pete
wilsonpj's Tacoma Gallery
Seems pointless to be getting new headers and not doing the whole exhaust. The whole point is to get the engine breathing better, after those headers, the stock y pipe will be the next thing to slow it down.

Its like doing an intake but not using a high flow air filter.

go big or go home.

2.5in
Old 07-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. Sounds good to me. Would you think 2 1/4" or 2 1/2"

The URD is 2 1/4
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260518483

I think I'm leaning to 2 1/4
Old 07-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely 2 1/4.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Depending on where you want your power band, will determine the best pipe sizing.

if you want more lowend torque, and willing to trade some top end HP, do a 2" y-pipe. if you want to make as much redline HP as possible (while sacrificing low end torque) then a 2.5" will do that.

the key is exhaust velocity. Header pipe sizing, collector sizing, collector location, and exhaust piping all contribute to the 'perfect' exhaust system. With the DTLT, you'r gonna get a great mid/high range gain. I would say 2" or 2.25" without cats would be a great addition to the headers for an N/A setup (voted for stock y by mistake d'oh).