Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Question about aftermarket mufflers and tq loss

Old 07-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
09WhiteTaco4x4 is on a distinguished road

09WhiteTaco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Question about aftermarket mufflers and tq loss

I wanted to hear from people who have installed a TRD, magnaflow, borla, etc. muffler on their 4.0L's.

My first vehicle was a Ford F-150 with a 5.0 V8 and I had a 40 Series Flowmaster muffler installed. I noticed some definite low-end tq loss with the muffler. I seemed to gain more sound than performance from the muffler. But what a sound it was--I had dual turndowns so when I stomped on it, it was a symphony to my ears!

My next vehicle was an '02 Ford Ranger FX4 with a 4.0 V6. I decided to go with a magnaflow muffler for that truck and noticed a bit of off-the-line power loss but a nice little bump in mid-range "seat of the pants" power. Exhaust note was nice, sporty without being "raspy or ricey".

I'm very happy with my Tacoma's off the line pep and I don't want to sacrafice any of that with an aftermarket muffler. And now that I'm a bit older, I don't need car alarm inducing sound. I just want performance and mpg increases. Can anyone chime in as to whether they have experienced a difference in off-the-line performance with aftermarket exhaust, either positive or negative? Thanks!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Not to be an asshat, but try the search function. There are many threads covering your questions.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
if you want that off the line torque, then what you need to do is speed up the exhaust velocity at lower RPMS.

Backpressure and smaller exhaust piping will achieve this. With our trucks the exhaust is pretty well tuned from the factory. I wouldn't expect much of a change in performance from swapping out mufflers, more of a sound change.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #4

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09WhiteTaco4x4 View Post
Thanks!
Hey man the dynomax muffler is the best for yielding results and not being obnoxiously loud. You will actually se no losses in power with it
Old 07-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
HOSS454 is on a distinguished road
HOSS454's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Hey man the dynomax muffler is the best for yielding results and not being obnoxiously loud. You will actually se no losses in power with it
agreed... i got a dynomax catback exhaust part number WLK-19447. if you want just the muffler, i believe the part number is wlk-17219 from summitracing.com. Not much people run these but the ones that do like em.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #7

^ ^^ Thanks! I'll look into the Dynomax muffler. How is the tone of the Dynomax? I'm going for "quality" over "quantity" in terms of sound.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
I run one and love it. No power loss. Sounds nice at idle, barely louder then stock but deeper. Through the rpm's it's nice and deep with out rasp or too much noise. Under normal acceleration, you can have a conversation with out talking over the exhaust.
If you want loud, this is not for you.