Fuel Gauge Reading

View Poll Results: How many miles on 1/2 tank
100-150 61 22.85%
150-200 145 54.31%
200-250 52 19.48%
250-300 9 3.37%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #41
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
I don't understand. Fuel guage says I need fuel I get some, divide miles travelled as reported by trip meter divide by gallons used. What is the point of comparing how many gallons per increment on the fuel guage that was designed only to meet the need to know when to get fuel?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #42
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
I don't understand. Fuel guage says I need fuel I get some, divide miles travelled as reported by trip meter divide by gallons used. What is the point of comparing how many gallons per increment on the fuel guage that was designed only to meet the need to know when to get fuel?
This

It's really not that difficult
Old 05-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #43
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Due to the arc of the sensor arm, you will not get an acurate reading of fuel.
Exactly correct. You will never have a linear fuel level change.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #44
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
based on markings
1/4 is 5 gallons
1/2 4 more
3/4 4 more
Light on at about 17 gallons.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #45
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Miles depends on fuel consumed and that depends on the model, engine, transmission, 2WD or 4WD (weight, friction).

What is in the tank per the gauge marks:

FULL TANK= 21 gallons
3/4 Line= 16 gallons (5 to fill)
1/2 Line= 12 gallons (9 to fill)
1/4 Line= 8 gallons (13 to fill)
Low Light= 4 gallons (17 to fill)
E Line= 3 gallons (18 to fill)
Old 11-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #46
Socalrider600rr is on a distinguished road
Army: Son of Benning
Socalrider600rr's Tacoma Gallery
Don't mean to necro-post but I'm thinking of taking my new Taco back to the dealer to see if they can fix this problem. Once I get down to 3/4 on the gauge, it drops faster than Obamas approval rating after 0bummercare. Has Toyota come up with a solution for this yet? Is it worth taking to the dealer?
Thanks
Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #47
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalrider600rr View Post
Is it worth taking to the dealer?
No
Old 11-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #48
2012TACOMABOY is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Matt
2012TACOMABOY's Tacoma Gallery
Just a quick question. Is it normal that when I start my Tacoma it shows that I have a lot less gas then I remember having after my last drive. then it slowly goes up after I start driving?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #49
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012TACOMABOY View Post
Just a quick question. Is it normal that when I start my Tacoma it shows that I have a lot less gas then I remember having after my last drive. then it slowly goes up after I start driving?
I'd say not uncommon..my wife's 96 did that.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #50
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012TACOMABOY View Post
Thermal resistance has a bit to do with this. It is normal. My 97 does it, and almost every other vehicle I have ever owned does it. Also depending on if where you park is level when you start your truck. At the shop I park on a slight incline. When I start my truck it may show say 1/2 tank. Then when I pull out and start driving down a semi level road, the fuel level usually settles at an 1/8 tank higher.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #51
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
While it's not the same thing exactly, my first car (79 Stang) would drop quick once I got to half a tank. That was due to me backing into something and denting the tank however.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #52
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KingKoda's Tacoma Gallery
I gave up caring about the MPG, I've already bought the truck (MPG decision) and a few extra bucks here or there on gas isn't going to break my wallet. If it needs gas, I put gas in it. Some months I may get 18 mpg, some weeks I may get 12 mpg, I don't know. In the end, it doesn't matter, and if I did, I should have never bought the truck.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #53
TyNeumann110 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
TyNeumann110's Tacoma Gallery
Driving 40 years beyond my age I read 160-170 at half a tank. How are you guys averaging 20 mph? New spark plugs + air filter maybe?

Another fuel gauge related question - when the gas light is on.. and has been on for a couple days, what's the farthest you've gone before stopping for gas? I've had my 2011 v6 4.0 taco almost two months now and already put 4k miles on it but I haven't gone over 30 miles with the light on. When I went thirty miles it took 18.8 gallons to fill up so I'm sure I could've gone further. Anybody?
Old 12-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #54
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyNeumann110 View Post
Driving 40 years beyond my age I read 160-170 at half a tank. How are you guys averaging 20 mph? New spark plugs + air filter maybe?

Another fuel gauge related question - when the gas light is on.. and has been on for a couple days, what's the farthest you've gone before stopping for gas? I've had my 2011 v6 4.0 taco almost two months now and already put 4k miles on it but I haven't gone over 30 miles with the light on. When I went thirty miles it took 18.8 gallons to fill up so I'm sure I could have gone further. Anybody?
I fill up when the light comes on I might drive a few miles past but normal that's just what it takes me to get to a pump once it turns on. It may be a myth or an urban legend or something like that But I've herd that the reasoning for the light coming on at 17 gallons is to try and keep the fuel pump submerged and there for operating at a cooler temperature extending its life. Again could just be propaganda but who cares.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #55
This We'll Defend
YankeeVol is on a distinguished road

Army: Drill Sergeant, Fox Company, 2nd BN, 60th INF REGT
Name: Darrell
YankeeVol's Tacoma Gallery
A little more than 150
Old 12-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #56
TyNeumann110 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
TyNeumann110's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
I fill up when the light comes on I might drive a few miles past but normal that's just what it takes me to get to a pump once it turns on. It may be a myth or an urban legend or something like that But I've herd that the reasoning for the light coming on at 17 gallons is to try and keep the fuel pump submerged and there for operating at a cooler temperature extending its life. Again could just be propaganda but who cares.
Ah, I see. Well I definitely want to prolong fuel pump failure so I'll keep that in mind next time I think about stretching a tank of gas. Thanks for the info! (my fuzzy math shows anywhere from 50-80 miles on the light, 80 being @ steady <1500rpms lol)
Old 01-02-2014, 06:09 AM   #57
Matt is on a distinguished road

Matt's Tacoma Gallery
I got 324 but noticed the tires had more PSI than they should have.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #58
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is the truth. The fuel is the lubricant for the pump. Also dissipates the heat from the pump. Simple thermodynamics. Run the pump dry and it will cause a tiny bit of damage. The more and more it done, the more the damage increases.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #59
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
That is the truth. The fuel is the lubricant for the pump. Also dissipates the heat from the pump. Simple thermodynamics. Run the pump dry and it will cause a tiny bit of damage. The more and more it done, the more the damage increases.
In agreement with Tor here.

I never run the truck past 1/8th unless Im in a bad situation.... I also have a master tech friend who confirms and has replaced many a fuel pump due to people religiously trying to get every last cent out of each tank.