Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

weird smell after new muffler was installed

Old 07-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
weird smell after new muffler was installed

i got my new flowmaster muffler put on 2 days ago and when i got home after the installation it was really smoking and smelt terrible but i figured it was just the smoke from the welds still being hot. But after the past two days of driving the smell has decreased definently but after i drive for an extended period i notice it still smells a little when i'm walking away from the truck.....i just hope nothing is wrong
Old 07-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
i'd think it's just the metals and crap inside the muffler burning off. the sound will change a bit too as this happens
Old 07-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGus View Post
i got my new flowmaster muffler put on 2 days ago and when i got home after the installation it was really smoking and smelt terrible but i figured it was just the smoke from the welds still being hot. But after the past two days of driving the smell has decreased definently but after i drive for an extended period i notice it still smells a little when i'm walking away from the truck.....i just hope nothing is wrong
nothing to worry about....just the muffler getting hot and breaking in.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Mine did this a little bit too. Eventually it went away completely. I don't think it's something too be super worried about. You could take a close look under your truck to make sure all is well though--For peace of mind.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the advice guys! I figured it may just have been the muffler breaking in a little bit but i've never had a new muffler put on before so i didn't know for sure. And the truck has seemed to get a bit of a deeper tone and louder at idle but i like it
Old 07-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
09WhiteTaco4x4 is on a distinguished road

09WhiteTaco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I've noticed this both times I've gotten new mufflers. Sometimes they paint the pipe around the welds to clean up the look a bit. I don't know if they painted around the welds for yours, but it could just be the paint fumes burning off (I suspect but could very well be wrong). Mine lasted a few days and eventually went away completely, too.