Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Choosing the TRD

Old 07-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Bashlin is on a distinguished road
Bashlin's Tacoma Gallery
Choosing the TRD

I am buying a new Tundra and I don't know about the TRD. Is it worth the money? I don't do trails or a bunch of off roading. I do hunt, fish and other out door activities. What is the big difference between TRD and no? If i don't get it is it hard on it to do outdoor things?
Would any of you choose it?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashlin View Post
I am buying a new Tundra and I don't know about the TRD. Is it worth the money? I don't do trails or a bunch of off roading. I do hunt, fish and other out door activities. What is the big difference between TRD and no? If i don't get it is it hard on it to do outdoor things?
Would any of you choose it?
-The TRD will have a locker in the rear diff... It makes it a hell of alot more off road capable, plus skids plates, upgraded suspension etc...I think its worth the investment...I bought my Tacoma w/ the TRD package
Old 07-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Get it, if you don't use it then fine but if you dont get it then it's a PITA
Old 07-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
MASTER KNUCKLE BLEEDER
TRDATER will become famous soon enough

TRDATER's Tacoma Gallery
trd package

Lockers are useless unless you are rock crawling, the truck must be in low lock to engage. If you know how to drive a limited slip is acceptable and very functionable, i have never used a locker for mudding.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
My Tacoma doesn't have TRD, but did come with skid plates.

I do not have any problems towing a boat without it. To me for what I use my truck for, TRD wasn't worth the 3k extra. I don't offroad.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDATER View Post
Lockers are useless unless you are rock crawling, the truck must be in low lock to engage. If you know how to drive a limited slip is acceptable and very functionable, i have never used a locker for mudding.
You are completely wrong, hell just the other day, I was crossing a ditch on an angle and had my front left and right rear up in the air, was getting no traction, I engaged the locker and walked right outta there...

TRD will also give you a better resale value.... so buy it, if you don't use it, who cares, you'll get the money back when/if you sell..
Old 07-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
MASTER KNUCKLE BLEEDER

TRDATER's Tacoma Gallery
Trd

Buy the stickers , the cheesy bilstein so called offroad shocks and locker or learn how to drive and save some money.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDATER View Post
Buy the stickers , the cheesy bilstein so called offroad shocks and locker or learn how to drive and save some money.
why do you hate on the trd's so much? wish you had one? cause they're better than what you got?

The locker is a nice option that has helped me(and many others) lots with all different types of 4x4ing...
Old 07-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #10

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
so? it still has a trd option....
Old 07-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #11
Be a thinker, not a stinker
usctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

usctacoma's Tacoma Gallery
If I had the extra money when I bought my truck, I definitely would have gotten one with a TRD package and 4x4 if I could find it. Just get the TRD if you can afford it, especially since you hunt.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #12
MASTER KNUCKLE BLEEDER

TRDATER's Tacoma Gallery
trd package

I have a 2009 fj trd 4x4 lifted 7 inches and a 2009 tacoma trd 4x4 lifted 3 inches.love em can do better though factory offroad packages are way overated.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
so? it still has a trd option....
There's no locker in the TRD package for the Tundra.
In fact, the TRD package is significantly different between models.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #14

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
oh.. well my mistake, if there is no locker, buy the sr5 or whatever, and upgrade the suspension yourself
Old 07-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
To the OP: If I were you-I'd get into the Toyota site and check the differences between the packages to make your decision.

All the stuff people posted here is good info- But it's YOUR money and you gotta decide where the value is for you.
I bought the TRD Sport Taco-mainly for the front seats and cause they cut me a deal cause the truck I wanted was on the lot. I probably should have gotten a TRD Offroad cause I'd rather have the locker than the LSD (I'll be swapping out soon). but it had the majority of what I wanted- and that's the important part.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #16
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
There's no locker in the TRD package for the Tundra.
In fact, the TRD package is significantly different between models.
what he said...

tundy = no locker
Old 07-20-2009, 01:35 AM   #17
09WhiteTaco4x4 is on a distinguished road

09WhiteTaco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
why do you hate on the trd's so much? wish you had one? cause they're better than what you got?
Dude, have you seen the pictures of his truck??? It's pretty badass!! I don't think he's jealous of much!

TRDATER: your truck is sick! Kinda makes me wish I had gotten the grey.

OP: Since you said you don't do much off-roading, I don't think a locker is that important. It's not as if having a 4x4 is useless--it'll get you through most, if not all, of what you'd encounter during your hunting and fishing excursions I'd imagine.