Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

oil filtration bypass

Old 07-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
oil filtration bypass

I just finished installing the bypass filter and doing the first oil change. Used 10W-30 Amsoil (6 qts.) since the bypass filter holds 1 qt. Now I will do a complete oil change about every 40,000 miles. Every 3000 miles I will change the bypass filter element (toilet paper roll) and put in a new qt. of oil. So the additives remain good. I used the same bypass filter housing on two Dodge with cummins turbodiesels and two of my previous toyota tacomas. Combined mileage over 300,000 running extended drain with synthetic oil (Amsoil). Many years ago all cars were sold with oil bypass filters. This filtration will get down to under a half a micron as well as catching any entrained moisture, acids, etc. The regular filter cannot come even close to micro-polishing the oil like that.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
commtrd
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
is this a kit or did you make it yourself?
i'd be interested in doing something like this sooner or later...
i've seen these 'toilet paper' roll bypass filters on tons of heavy trucks before
Old 07-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
how much did this run you, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 07-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
commtrd
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
I think this one was around $120 with the hoses, clamps, filter housing and fittings included. I am not sure if he is still selling them or not. The guy's name is Ralph Woods. Note that this filter setup DOES NOT ELIMINATE THE REGULAR OIL FILTER. It utilizes a pancake valve housing (pictured) to divert a slip stream of oil to the bypass which then returns it to the regular oil circuit. If the bypass was to plug off completely for some reason the engine will still get a full supply of oil. I got the pancake diverter device from Jegs. Would not run extended drain intervals without using some kind of bypass filtration. I also used a needle valve to regulate the flow to the bypass since it will tend to squeal with excessive flow and can hear it inside the cab. That would not hurt anything but it gets to be irritating after a while. I took this housing and diverter off the '07 before trading it in on the '09 so this housing is almost three years old. The way they did the oil filter location on the second gen trucks makes it real easy to do the install.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to look into this. I wonder if there is a pancake diverter that will fit the 2.7L
Old 07-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
commtrd
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Yes there is. I did one on my 2000 model regular cab. It wasn't quite as easy to install as the oil filter hangs down on the passenger side if I remember correctly. Jegs has several different diverter assemblies available; I think the universal is the one I used for both the I4 and the V6.