Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Some Questions...

Old 07-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
Some Questions...

I have some questions, i just got some parts installed, and i am totally new to this, so please bare with me lol. i just wanted to know if there was a website that explains, like the basics of torque, horsepower, mph, rpm.. and how they all relate to each other.. im tryna learn more about this stuff. thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
That is a VERRYYY broad subject, that could take days, weeks, months to explain (at a minimum).

Was there a particular question that you were trying to answer? Trying to understand what mods are really worth it and why?

A more precise question is much easier to answer.

Oh, BTW.. Welcome to TW!!!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i gues im tryna understand the mods i get on my car, pretty much all i know is that i gained more hp? i wanna calculate the stuff, but hell i dont know crap.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:12 AM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
There is no "calculating" hp...You have to measure it. You can't look at the box from the part you added and where it says "Adds at least 20 hp and 35lb*ft of torque" and just add that onto your window sticker hp/torque.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/horsepower.htm is a good place to start for basics. It explains horsepower pretty well and has several links to other engine performance articles.

If you want to get in deeper than that- I recommend classes at a local voc school or engine/mechanics school and lots of playing around with engines. Try to find a local shop you can intern at to try to learn the stuff...
Old 07-13-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
There is no "calculating" hp...You have to measure it. You can't look at the box from the part you added and where it says "Adds at least 20 hp and 35lb*ft of torque" and just add that onto your window sticker hp/torque.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/horsepower.htm is a good place to start for basics. It explains horsepower pretty well and has several links to other engine performance articles.

If you want to get in deeper than that- I recommend classes at a local voc school or engine/mechanics school and lots of playing around with engines. Try to find a local shop you can intern at to try to learn the stuff...
Juust to clarify...Hp IS a calculation. HP = Torque, x RPM/5250
Old 07-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Juust to clarify...Hp IS a calculation. HP = Torque, x RPM/5250
Yeah...But you gotta start with the measurement- I just meant you can't take the blinker fuild bottle that reads "ADDS 50 HORSEPOWER" and just do the math using that and the window sticker.

and it's alot easier to let the Dyno tell you...I'm stupid at math...
Old 07-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Yeah...But you gotta start with the measurement- I just meant you can't take the blinker fuild bottle that reads "ADDS 50 HORSEPOWER" and just do the math using that and the window sticker.
Chuck Norris can...
Old 07-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Doesn't he use ChuckPower?? 1CP= I bazillionHP...maybe??
Not sure about the HP gain Chuck gives, But I heard his truck round house kicked another truck in a parking lot.