Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Launching in 4wd

Old 07-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #1
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Launching in 4wd

I was watching pinks all out and a guy had a dodge diesel that ran like 11's or something. They were saying he launches in 4wd then shifts it back to 2 down the track.

I was curious if anybody has tried this in a taco. Would this break anything cuz I would Imagine that would be an extreme amount of stress on the transfer case. Being floored on a sticky surface.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have done it on a track a few times, and when its raining, pulling away from an intersection. Never had an issue. DONT take turns on the street when in 4 wheel drive.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
Did you go all out and floor it?
On my first gen, I did quite a few 5K rpm clutch drops....On the Dodge, being an automatic, I would just punch it off the line.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
dixiedeerslaya is on a distinguished road
dixiedeerslaya's Tacoma Gallery
ive done it a few times.... but have always worried i was gonna break something....
Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
There is a 4wd auto double cab in AZ that races his truck at the track, runs low 13's, launching in 4wd with a bunch of weight reduction. He does that under boost as well.

Launches 4wd, switches to 2wd. He hasn't had any issues to my knowledge.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
I took the 4runner to the 1/8 mile track the last two weeks for a test and tune, launched in 4wd both time, just left if it 4wd. my only get up to like 70mph. so it aint that bad i wouldnt think.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
On my first gen, I did quite a few 5K rpm clutch drops....On the Dodge, being an automatic, I would just punch it off the line.
Geez, you ran your trucks hard, atleast at the strip. Now I know that I don't have much to worry about.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Geez, you ran your trucks hard, atleast at the strip. Now I know that I don't have much to worry about.
And my First gen was SC'ed.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Nice. Why did you sell that? I'm suprised you didn't take she sc off and figure out some way to install it on your 2nd gen.
A guy offered me the right amount of money. I miss it, but money talks.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
djs05tacoma will become famous soon enough

djs05tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
why would he go back to 2wd? When I made passes in my dodge diesel I always did it in 4wd but did the whole run in 4wd.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs05tacoma View Post
why would he go back to 2wd? When I made passes in my dodge diesel I always did it in 4wd but did the whole run in 4wd.
Reduced drive train drag
Old 07-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
djs05tacoma will become famous soon enough

djs05tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
ahh, never even thought about that.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #17
j_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant future

Name: catdick
j_cyrus's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know about doing this in a Tacoma... I guess it would work.

On the diesel trucks you built boost to about 20lb and just let off the brake.... It was fun. 0-60 in no time.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #18
j_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant future

Name: catdick
j_cyrus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Reduced drive train drag

I know on the Ford diesel's if you had the 4x4 switch on the dash it was useless to try and put it back into 2wd, it wouldn't ever disengage.

I don't know about Dodge and Duramax.

The only way I would think it would go back into 2wd would be with the 4wd pole on the floor. And from the times I have seen it done you have a lot of backlash through the drivetrain..

I would personally just leave it in 4
Old 07-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #19
HOSS454 is on a distinguished road
HOSS454's Tacoma Gallery
i have done it in my taco going down the strip. i run at my local track every month and have tried it a couple of times just for kicks cuz i have seen the supercharged truck do it. i would launch in 4wd and then turn it back to 2wd for the rest of the way down the 1/4. my truck is an auto so it doesnʻt burn out in 2wd, so i just leave it like it is. the times i run were pretty much the same 2wd and 4wd. if anything 4wd was a few hundreths slower than 2wd. i donʻt have the timeslips with me at the moment. hope this helps.