Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Testing exhaust system flow?

Old 07-14-2009, 02:29 AM   #1
dwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura about
Name: Kevin
dwntwnall4u's Tacoma Gallery
Testing exhaust system flow?

Is there a way to test the actual flow of a given exhaust system?
Old 07-14-2009, 04:44 AM   #3
branct06 has a spectacular aura aboutbranct06 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Thomas
branct06's Tacoma Gallery
i know when i was looking for the right sound exhaust for my truck i cut the stock muffler off and then just held up multiple mufflers to the pipe and i got a basic idea on sound
Old 07-14-2009, 05:26 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
A buddy of mine fabbed up this rig useing a small leaf blower. He measures the amount of curant draw on the motor, and the air velocity at the end of the pipe. Now, This isnt the most scientific way, AND, being as it is not a pulse like an engine produces, you cant measure scavenging, BUT it does seem to give an idea of what flows better than another.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Sited from http://www.broaderperformance.com/mu...flow_tests.htm

Quote:
This is a chart of popular performance and a few stock type mufflers I have tested on our flow bench. These were all the most popular mufflers sold and installed at a local exhaust shop. Straight pipes have been tested and are used to compare these mufflers to "potential" flow of a muffler. When running a performance muffler on the street there are many more things to consider then just good flow. For instance pleasant tone and enough sound reduction to avoid any "unwanted" attention from local authorities. One thing to keep in mind is how restrictive tailpipes are. You can have a great flowing muffler but if your tailpipes are restrictive you may not be getting any gain from loud, high flow, and not to mention sometimes "expensive" mufflers.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
dwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura about
Name: Kevin
dwntwnall4u's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
A buddy of mine fabbed up this rig useing a small leaf blower. He measures the amount of curant draw on the motor, and the air velocity at the end of the pipe. Now, This isnt the most scientific way, AND, being as it is not a pulse like an engine produces, you cant measure scavenging, BUT it does seem to give an idea of what flows better than another.
Sounds like a cool idea, because I wanted to build an exhaust system but how do you really know what it flows when complete?
Old 07-15-2009, 05:25 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwntwnall4u View Post
Sounds like a cool idea, because I wanted to build an exhaust system but how do you really know what it flows when complete?
The best way is tto learn how an exhaust affects the engine, before you do anything. Bigger isnt Better. Then, in my case, it was trial and error. You should dyno your set up to be able to see what works and such.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
TRON is on a distinguished road

TRON's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post

those are interesting numbers.... would the 3 inch urd CBE be the best route if you are supercharged.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRON View Post
those are interesting numbers.... would the 3 inch urd CBE be the best route if you are supercharged.
It would be a good option for sure. Can't really say anything is better then the other with numbers to back it up.

But under boost, more volume will help.