Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Header Install (Moved) Need Help Please!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:24 AM   #1
cshoe98 is on a distinguished road
cshoe98's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cshoe98
Header Install (Moved) Need Help Please!

Truck:
1998 2.7L 4cyl. 4wd

I recently found a crack in my exhaust manifold. So I plan on buying a pacesetter header for $199.00 is this a good deal?? Sounds like it comes with the gaskets and an adapter to attach it to the stock exhaust.

What I am really wondering is this:
I plan on doing the swap myself... and spent a little bit of time looking at the setup and it looks as if I would have to remove the transmission dipstick to allow enough room to pull the old manifold off and insert the header. How do I remove the dipstick? I was able to take off the mounting bracket that was at the top of the dipstick but still got no play with it. I noticed there was a second mounting bracket on the dipstick but would this give me enough play?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshoe98 View Post
Truck:
1998 2.7L 4cyl. 4wd

I recently found a crack in my exhaust manifold. So I plan on buying a pacesetter header for $199.00 is this a good deal?? Sounds like it comes with the gaskets and an adapter to attach it to the stock exhaust.

What I am really wondering is this:
I plan on doing the swap myself... and spent a little bit of time looking at the setup and it looks as if I would have to remove the transmission dipstick to allow enough room to pull the old manifold off and insert the header. How do I remove the dipstick? I was able to take off the mounting bracket that was at the top of the dipstick but still got no play with it. I noticed there was a second mounting bracket on the dipstick but would this give me enough play?

Thanks for the help.
removing the second bracket should give you enough play to remove the header. just a quick tip........when you put the new header on, be sure to use a torque wrench so everything will be where it needs to be.

as far as the pacesetter header, the price may be ok, but check ebay, as you may find either that header or another good one a bit cheaper.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
cshoe98's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help....

Will the header come with Torque specs and all of that? I was browsing my Haynes Repair Manual and did not see anything listed as far as Torque specs.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshoe98 View Post
Thanks for the help....

Will the header come with Torque specs and all of that? I was browsing my Haynes Repair Manual and did not see anything listed as far as Torque specs.

whatever header you get should come with torque specs. however, in this day and age where they forget to put things like instructions in with something you buy......you will probably be able to find it doing a google search or something. there is probably some listings online for different headers for your truck.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
cshoe98's Tacoma Gallery
Ha very true....

I hope to do this job right.... found it really weird for my manifold to crack, I have a feeling that maybe it was off at one point in time and then not torqued down correctly.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i'm not sure in the execution of ur question, but i bought a pacesetter ceramic armour coated and had it crack on me while just driving down the road. i did gun it, but cmon....the stock 4 cyl was 120hp so after mods i was looking at maybe 150 if that...sucked ass too
Old 12-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
cshoe98's Tacoma Gallery
That does suck.....

Yeah my stock exhaust manifold has cracked... but I have no idea when or how, just noticed the leak.

I was going to buy a pacesetter header, just painted. Not the ceramic or chrome.

Might as well start upgrading ya know?