Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

cold air intake newbie

Old 12-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
kona2chris is on a distinguished road
kona2chris's Tacoma Gallery
cold air intake newbie

Hey there, I am new to the Tacoma World and certainly to the Modification area, but I am seriosly considering a Cold Air Intake and was wondering if there is a huge difference in the performance of them. I notice a lot of people mention the K&N version which seems to be about $250, but there are others out there for as low as $90. Is there a big difference in the brand names or is K&N the most expensive for a reason. If anyone has an alternative for less I would appreciate that

Thanks
Old 12-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
different people will say different things about cai's!! heres what i can tell you. i have an airaid intake on my 06 prerunner(got it on ebay for $215.....been a good while now however, they have gone up about $15 since then) and i like it. good sound, and maybe a bit of performance(breathes better at higher rpms). its just my opinion, but i dont think you will really see a big difference just from an intake....maybe "seat of your pants dyno", but a major difference,probably not really.......just because the really start working at higher rpms. alot of people dont like the k&n because of oil on the maf sensor issues, which is basically due to over oiling the filter media. i can probably say that the k&n isnt the most expensive however. there is the urd tcai(which is probably gonna be the one of the better intakes you can get). you can also do as alot of folks have done, and go with the k&n setup, but use an aem dryflow filter....so you dont have to worry about overoiling the filter. hope this helps.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
My URD is great, although they are not for everybody.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:40 PM   #4
spencer_hong is on a distinguished road
spencer_hong's Tacoma Gallery
k&n's are amazing. but damn whatever is selling for 90 bucks is a big NO.
go with a k&n 63 series.. make sure its the air charger. that intake is bomb
Old 12-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
Oregon Alliance: Founder
A1CGuches is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Need to now situation
A1CGuches's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to A1CGuches
Well i went a different route when i started doing my intake system because i wanted to incorperate both cool air and a snorkel....after research and trial and error i found that volant is the most expensive and best performing so far.
http://www.volant.com/idetail.asp?ID=104
After installing i took a few different ideas from my buddies at TTORA and mad it the least restrictive as possible and allowing me to keep both my cool air and my snorkel. By far VOLANT is the best adn as far as i can see the most expensive
Old 01-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
Mean Green Machine
98yota is on a distinguished road

98yota's Tacoma Gallery
well i got my option racing CAI off of ebay for 50 bucks and it was in perfect shape. i could tell a lil difference in performance, but i def. got better gas mileage though
Old 02-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
SophT is on a distinguished road
SophT's Tacoma Gallery
Well I'm a CAI noobie too. I have a (seemingly) simple question: Why would a cold air intake be louder than a stock intake.

I know on a fan the higher the rpm the more cfm it can move and therefore the louder it will be, but it seems the cai is just more surface area causing a higher cfm throughput. So what's causing it to be louder.

Also, how much louder are we talking about (compared to stock)?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
K&N is a good amount louder. It's a great deep tune to it, makes it sound more like a Corvette, nothing like a rice rocket. I'm talking about the 63 Series Air Charger btw.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
Toyota_hic is on a distinguished road
Name: Grant
Toyota_hic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Toyota_hic
ok i had kinda a dumb question....does it matter wut kind of intake u have if u get a MAF Sensor Calibrator, or do u have to get the URD intake with it?
Old 02-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
As long as theres a place to mount the sensor on the intake, which most have, its fine. Make sure the screws on the MAFS line up with the tubing on the intake so it all works out.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
1killerkaw will become famous soon enough

1killerkaw's Tacoma Gallery
Just get the URD Preset MAF sensor calibrator and leave your intake alone.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
Toyota_hic is on a distinguished road
Name: Grant
Toyota_hic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Toyota_hic
well wut i was going to do is get a new K&N intake, but i plan on putting headers and a new exhaust on in the future, so i wanted to get the MAF so that i could ajust the air and fuel ratio...would it just be esier to get the URD intake or would the K&N work just as well...????
Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
MaGuyver is on a distinguished road

MaGuyver's Tacoma Gallery
I like my True Flow XDI
Old 02-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #14
FJ FTW!
southern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

southern_x's Tacoma Gallery
AFE dry filter system FTW!!! i say nay to any oil filters unless you want to mess up your maf sensor
Old 02-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #15
Spyder327 is on a distinguished road

Spyder327's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Spyder327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota_hic View Post
well wut i was going to do is get a new K&N intake, but i plan on putting headers and a new exhaust on in the future, so i wanted to get the MAF so that i could ajust the air and fuel ratio...would it just be esier to get the URD intake or would the K&N work just as well...????
The URD intake would most likely produce more power than the K&N setup, but installation is also more complex
Old 02-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #16
vivafire is on a distinguished road

vivafire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder327 View Post
The URD intake would most likely produce more power than the K&N setup, but installation is also more complex

? on the URD filter how do you clean it . I been wanting to get one but I don't see on their web site how you clean it.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:05 AM   #17
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery

The service life of AMSOIL Air Filters can be extended indefinitely when the following instructions are performed. For normal driving conditions, service AMSOIL Air Filters every 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

1. Remove air filter from air filter housing.
2. Wipe housing free of dirt and debris.
3. Carefully remove polyurethane foam from metal cage of AMSOIL Air Filter (Note: foam is not removable on planar-style filters).
4. Wash polyurethane foam in detergent and water or in parts cleaning solution. Rinse in clean water and allow foam to dry completely.
5. Apply AMSOIL Foam Filter Oil liberally on polyurethane foam. Squeeze foam repeatedly until oil penetrates its entire thickness. (AMSOIL Foam Filter Oil is specifically formulated for AMSOIL Air Filters and is designed to trap and hold dirt effectively, even in temperature extremes.)
6. Blot excess oil from polyurethane foam and reinstall foam on metal cage.
7. Reinstall AMSOIL Air Filter into air filter housing. Be sure the label is attached to the outside of the filter housing.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:38 AM   #18
vivafire is on a distinguished road

vivafire's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Isocoee for the link and the tip!
Old 02-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #19
HarborWhaler is on a distinguished road
HarborWhaler's Tacoma Gallery
Is the Toyota TRD Cold Air Intake a dry filter system? Or do you have to oil the filter during cleaning? Thanks.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #20
HarborWhaler is on a distinguished road
HarborWhaler's Tacoma Gallery
I also see the the warning about Warranty Void issues. Isn't the TRD cold air intake system a Toyota part?? Why would you have a Warranty problem?