LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

to flow XDI or not?

Old 12-14-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
kona2chris is on a distinguished road
kona2chris's Tacoma Gallery
to flow XDI or not?

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of installing a true flow XDI vs a CAI or are they essentially the same thing? I am thinking about installing one of the 2 and have read a bit about excessive noise, heat suck, oil problems, and water issues. Not sure how many are relevant. New to the truck modding think so my knowledge is limited. The true flow looks pretty sweet, but will it void any warranty or is it even legal, will it affect my air care (i am up in BC canada) and we have to have our vehicle emissions tested every 2 years.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Dirty South Division
Stumeister is on a distinguished road

Stumeister's Tacoma Gallery
Not many people on here have installed the true flow, so it is hard to tell you. I do have the true flow though and I love it. I don't think there is excessive noise with it, I actually love the sound. You don't really hear anything until you hit 2000 RPM. Other times there will be a low hum around 1500 when it shifts, which I think sounds awesome cause it is nice and deep. You will probably have more heat with the true flow because it is metal, while the K&N is plastic. I think people worry about that because the colder the air the more horsepower. I live in FL where the air is HOT and I haven't had any problems with the true flow...but I just put it on a week or two ago. The K&N doesn't have any shielding on the top of the filter, which is why some people worry about water I think. I don't think you have to worry about this unless you take your truck through some serious water and mud. My bro has the K&N and he took it mudding with no problem. If you oil the K&N right you shouldn't have any problems (that is what my bro says but not what I have read).
Old 12-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
Thanks for your response, it was very helpful, one last question, If it gets noisy at 2000 rpms do you find any excessive cab noise at highway speeds say at about 70 - 80 mph?
Old 12-15-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Dirty South Division
Stumeister is on a distinguished road

Stumeister's Tacoma Gallery
No. Once you stop accelerating you can't really hear anything. I don't really notice any cab noise and I usually go 80 on the freeway every day pretty much.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Cool I think I'm in for one!!