1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

to flow XDI or not?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by kona2chris, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Dec 14, 2007 at 7:49 AM
    kona2chris

kona2chris [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 Tacoma Doublecab SR5
    FX Pro Wheels (Dark Gunmetal Grey Gloss) Falken WildPeak AT AT3W 265/70R17 OME 2" Lift kit Kenwood DNR1007XR - 10.1" GPS / Multimedia W/backup Camera Remote starter and CompuStar alarm Baja Design Squadron Sport Fog Pocket Light Kit (Wide cornering) Leer canopy Bedrug Thule Roof Kayak Racks Thule Swing away bike rack Engine 2.0 installed at 270k
    Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of installing a true flow XDI vs a CAI or are they essentially the same thing? I am thinking about installing one of the 2 and have read a bit about excessive noise, heat suck, oil problems, and water issues. Not sure how many are relevant. New to the truck modding think so my knowledge is limited. The true flow looks pretty sweet, but will it void any warranty or is it even legal, will it affect my air care (i am up in BC canada) and we have to have our vehicle emissions tested every 2 years.

2. Dec 15, 2007 at 9:32 AM
    Stumeister

Stumeister Carolina Alliance: Dirty South Division

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner sr5 4x4
    Not many people on here have installed the true flow, so it is hard to tell you. I do have the true flow though and I love it. I don't think there is excessive noise with it, I actually love the sound. You don't really hear anything until you hit 2000 RPM. Other times there will be a low hum around 1500 when it shifts, which I think sounds awesome cause it is nice and deep. You will probably have more heat with the true flow because it is metal, while the K&N is plastic. I think people worry about that because the colder the air the more horsepower. I live in FL where the air is HOT and I haven't had any problems with the true flow...but I just put it on a week or two ago. The K&N doesn't have any shielding on the top of the filter, which is why some people worry about water I think. I don't think you have to worry about this unless you take your truck through some serious water and mud. My bro has the K&N and he took it mudding with no problem. If you oil the K&N right you shouldn't have any problems (that is what my bro says but not what I have read).

3. Dec 15, 2007 at 10:12 AM
    kona2chris

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    FX Pro Wheels (Dark Gunmetal Grey Gloss) Falken WildPeak AT AT3W 265/70R17 OME 2" Lift kit Kenwood DNR1007XR - 10.1" GPS / Multimedia W/backup Camera Remote starter and CompuStar alarm Baja Design Squadron Sport Fog Pocket Light Kit (Wide cornering) Leer canopy Bedrug Thule Roof Kayak Racks Thule Swing away bike rack Engine 2.0 installed at 270k
    Thanks for your response, it was very helpful, one last question, If it gets noisy at 2000 rpms do you find any excessive cab noise at highway speeds say at about 70 - 80 mph?

4. Dec 15, 2007 at 7:06 PM
    Stumeister

Stumeister Carolina Alliance: Dirty South Division

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner sr5 4x4
    No. Once you stop accelerating you can't really hear anything. I don't really notice any cab noise and I usually go 80 on the freeway every day pretty much.

5. Dec 16, 2007 at 2:37 PM
    kona2chris

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    Cool I think I'm in for one!!

Products Discussed in

To Top