Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Do or don't do K & N Drop In Air Filter Replacement??

Old 12-14-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
khfactor is on a distinguished road

khfactor's Tacoma Gallery
Question Do or don't do K & N Drop In Air Filter Replacement??

I am considering replacing the factory installed air filter with the drop-in type of K & N air filter for my 2007 V-6 4x4 Sport pkg. I have had a K & N drop in type filter for my ol' 2002 Ford Ranger 4.0 FX4 and it gave me a couple of more horses.

Any of you have had this installed and experience any enhancement? Would you consider this a "waste" for a meager enhancement?
Old 12-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
My butt dyno tells me I got more power when I put mine in, but I think its worth it if not just that It will last the life of the truck, and all I've got to do is clean and oil it.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
its not bad...but if i'd have read up on things, i'd have gone w/ the AFE dry filter instead...also, read up on the removing the secondary air filter post to open it up a lil more
Old 12-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I used them for years and I believe (can't prove it) that K&N filters destroyed MAF's on two different vehicles. I personally wouldn't use them again. I also don't believe that a drop in filter will make much of a difference with these vehicles considering they basically already have a CAI as it is.

Like above, remove the secondary filter and you'll notice a definite improvement. I shot some air through it with my compressor and you can barely feel it on the other side.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Remove the secondary air filter, and then go with the AFE Pro dry-s drop in. That is what I am using now the the VPE test concluded, and while I have only preliminary observations from it and no hard solid confirmed numbers yet. I can say that there was a butt dyno improvement, and for a tank that has been mostly just around town driving I am still looking at an average of 17.7 MPG according to the scangauge right now, and that is pretty close to my mixed highway and city tanks before this filter went in.

Check this link for the particulars.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOTaco View Post
My butt dyno tells me I got more power when I put mine in, but I think its worth it if not just that It will last the life of the truck, and all I've got to do is clean and oil it.
Same here... Clean it regularly (once-twice a year) and do not over-oil it and you should be fine.
I've had K&N's in multiple vehicles for years.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:36 AM   #7
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
and then go with the AFE Pro dry-s drop in
Where did you get yours? I've been looking and unable to find it.

Honestly, when you can use a dry filter, like the AEM Dryflow (no drop in for ours yet), I don't know why anyone would actually take a chance using a K&N. Technology has advanced and so should K&N. We don't use 8 tracks anymore so why use ancient filter tech?
Old 12-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Where did you get yours? I've been looking and unable to find it.

Honestly, when you can use a dry filter, like the AEM Dryflow (no drop in for ours yet), I don't know why anyone would actually take a chance using a K&N. Technology has advanced and so should K&N. We don't use 8 tracks anymore so why use ancient filter tech?
http://www.ultimatetruck.com/product...93&model=21226

You may have to re-enter your vehicle information, as it doesn't seem that that info holds when it is linked, *shrug*

Remember to use 2006 as your model year as their database is not updated to include 07 or 08, but i've got mine in an 07 and have no problems.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
Bill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the rough

Bill in Ky's Tacoma Gallery
I just called and ordered one. Thanks for the link Maverick491
Old 12-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #10
AZsurfer13 is on a distinguished road

AZsurfer13's Tacoma Gallery
Afe

Dont bother with K&N. Get an AFE (Advanced Flow Engineering) Filter. Cost Less and most of the time give more horse power.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #11
Kylie's dad

Thanks, Maverick. Much appreciated.

And get out of South Jersey quick. I did.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
thanx for the link maverick
Old 12-16-2007, 06:13 AM   #13
khfactor is on a distinguished road

khfactor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
http://www.ultimatetruck.com/product...93&model=21226

You may have to re-enter your vehicle information, as it doesn't seem that that info holds when it is linked, *shrug*

Remember to use 2006 as your model year as their database is not updated to include 07 or 08, but i've got mine in an 07 and have no problems.
Hello Mav491,

Is this also a life time filter with no oiling and stuff? As you said a few weeks back when I was getting my Taco truck, I am sucked in now. Like the Borgs in Startrek next generation TV series, "Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated," I am hopelessly sucked into this MOD disease... It's all your fault (my wife says all the time ). She says, Mod here Mod there, then what ?

Well, I am not telling her some of the secret mods I am cooking up, so let the MOD disease spread like the California wild fire, I say !!
Old 12-16-2007, 07:06 AM   #14
Towing Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfactor View Post
Hello Mav491,

Is this also a life time filter with no oiling and stuff? As you said a few weeks back when I was getting my Taco truck, I am sucked in now. Like the Borgs in Startrek next generation TV series, "Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated," I am hopelessly sucked into this MOD disease... It's all your fault (my wife says all the time ). She says, Mod here Mod there, then what ?

Well, I am not telling her some of the secret mods I am cooking up, so let the MOD disease spread like the California wild fire, I say !!
WAIT A MINUTE!!!

YOUR wife says it's MY fault?????? Now that's not cool, I get enough blame from my own wife. LOL.

To answer your question.

Yes, this is a lifetime filter as well. When it gets dirty, they say you can bang it out to restore 50% of its flow ability, vaccume it out for 75% of it's flow ability, or hose it out to restore it to 100% of it's flow ability, but if you hose it out it needs to dry for about 5 hours before you put it back in the truck, which I guess is why hey give you the other two methods.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:43 AM   #15
My goodness, my Guinness!
NVR_QUIT has a spectacular aura aboutNVR_QUIT has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: something between the lines of devine and killing machine
Name: Lloyd Christmas
NVR_QUIT's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation STOP...NO...and DON'T

Don't swap out your air filter for a K&N...

K&N filters claim to add more horsepower by letting in more air to your engine... This IS true

But how? You ask yourself do they let in more air than other filters. Well, the answer is very simple... They let in more air because they are more porous thus while they let in more air they also let in twice as much dust.

Now, I don't think you race your truck and that you need the 1/100's worth of a second differance to beat someone. If you think you need it just remember that you're going to ruin your truck in the long run.

My father works for NAPA and I've gone to some of this company demonstrations where they show the pro's and con's of all competitive filters (air and oil) and K&N has given the most power, but at a very high cost (your engine).

Just my .02
Old 12-16-2007, 08:49 AM   #16
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
NVR quit said it best, too much investment for too little return.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:55 AM   #17
Yeah
willard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud of
Name: Luke
willard417's Tacoma Gallery
and the AEM Dryflow won't do the same thing?
Old 12-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #18
My goodness, my Guinness!
NVR_QUIT has a spectacular aura aboutNVR_QUIT has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: something between the lines of devine and killing machine
Name: Lloyd Christmas
NVR_QUIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by willard417 View Post
and the AEM Dryflow won't do the same thing?
I'm saying, your OEM filter is just fine...
Old 12-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #19
ellsworth is on a distinguished road
ellsworth's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVR_QUIT View Post
Don't swap out your air filter for a K&N...

K&N filters claim to add more horsepower by letting in more air to your engine... This IS true

But how? You ask yourself do they let in more air than other filters. Well, the answer is very simple... They let in more air because they are more porous thus while they let in more air they also let in twice as much dust.

Now, I don't think you race your truck and that you need the 1/100's worth of a second differance to beat someone. If you think you need it just remember that you're going to ruin your truck in the long run.

My father works for NAPA and I've gone to some of this company demonstrations where they show the pro's and con's of all competitive filters (air and oil) and K&N has given the most power, but at a very high cost (your engine).

Just my .02
CORRECT, YOUR RELYING ON THE OIL TO TRAP PARTICULATES...ON MY MOTOCROSS BIKE THERES A PREFILTER FOR A REASON...ALSO, OIL ON THE THROTTLE PLATE THAT GETS DRAWN IN TURNS TO CARBON ON THE BLADE AND BORE FAST..DONT OVER OIL IF YOU RUN AN OILED AIR FILTER
Old 12-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #20
BlueTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police - Dog handler
BlueTaco's Tacoma Gallery
dang, wish I would have read this first before I bought my K&N filter, waste of $50 =( oh well, least i have a chance to fix this problem