1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New exhaust system

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by riggsjt, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Jul 22, 2009 at 3:10 PM
    riggsjt

riggsjt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Meridian,MS
    Vehicle:
    11 FJ Cruiser
    I am new to the forum and I was wondering what you guys thought about the TRD exhaust? Is it worth the money or should I get a new muffler, and if so what muffler do you have?

2. Jul 22, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    to me....no catback system is worth what they cost, and the gains,if any,are very minimal. i would just go with the muffler of your choice and have it welded in...in place of the stock muffler....alot cheaper and essentially the same thing.

i have a dynomax super turbo muffler, and i like it alot.........actual gains from it, and it isnt annoying.

3. Jul 22, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    I've heard a lot of good things about the TRD exhaust. If I were you i'd check out the sound clip thread, and pick the exhaust sound that you like the most, and go that route.

Sound Clip thread --> http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/14558-sound-clip-compilation-thread.html

Here is a sound clip of my exhaust. I love the sound of the Aero Turbine muffler. B

Doug Thorley headers, with an Aero 2525XL muffler clamped in with a turn down, and stock y-pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbZ2eiJIIpU

4. Jul 22, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    wilsonpj

wilsonpj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC, SB, OR
    OME 3in Lift, LR UCA's, 33in DuraTracs, All-Pro Full Skids, TRD CAI & Cat Back, 16x8 KMC Enduros
    I'm in the same boat. A lot of people just say get a muffler (flowmaster, magnaflow or what ever) and have a local shop weld it on. I think the TRD is the same pipe size as stock. You can find it online for about 350. The one benefit is, there won't be any warranty issues with the TRD. That could be nice if you have the extended 7yr 100k plan. The TRD is of nice quality, the thing to look for is any gaps in the welds. A co-worker has it and is very pleased with it. No too loud at all but you can def hear it when he gets on the throttle.

You get what you pay for. On a diff car I bought a cheap system and ended up switching it out a few years down the road. I wish I had just dropped a few more buck and got the quality exhaust. Would have been cheaper in the long run.

5. Jul 22, 2009 at 3:26 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Just get the Muffler of your choice: Aero Turbine muffler & Maganaflow, seem to have alot of good feedback. Some prefer FLowmaster.

I have a Borla Catback. And now running DTLT headers, Ive welded in a resonator, and hacked off the tip to dump it right past the axel. So why in the hell did I pay $400-$525 for an Catback that I now changed up:eek:

Pay the $100 - $200 on a muffler that provides the sound you are looking for, and put the rest of that money elsewhere.

I learned the hard way:cool:

Oh yeah, Xrunnit: Your truck sounds Damn SWEET...

6. Jul 22, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    edc

edc Well-Known Member

Member:
    ILLINOIS
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd crew cab 4x4
    rcd 4.5" lift,relentless fab front bumpers,trd cai,17x9 motometal955,flowmaster40 muffler,cobra sxt cb,k2motor headlights,kl71 kumho tires
    Got flowmaster 40 and chrome tip of my choice for $140.00 installed.i like the growl on this thing.

Products Discussed in

To Top