Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

turbo or s/c for offroad

Old 07-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
tacoman68 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
tacoman68's Tacoma Gallery
turbo or s/c for offroad

i want more power out of my 4.0 v6 but i dont know what to get turbo or s/c i do mostly off roading and soon to get long travel so i need some help what would be better for me.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
I would guess supercharger man. More torque earlier in the RPM range. I don't know much about off roading, but I'd figure you'd spend more time in the lower half RPM range.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

cjimenRR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjimenRR
Neither, spend your money on getting a rear locker or regearing if you do a lot of off road. S/C or turbos would do no good for what you say you do
Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
The s/c gives you even power throughout the rpm range while the turbo is more for the higher end. I'm going with the s/c about nov, until then I'm saving my pennies. Also might want to add the headers and Y- pipe to open up the exhaust up and get a few more ponies out of there.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
The x-1 gives you a power increase, but nothing like adding a s/c. This wouldn't really help you with a power increase you would notice offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
The maf cal is a joke really. You'll get maybe 10-15 horses out of it if that even. It helps with your mpgs sort of, and if you have the x-1 this is worthless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty's Taco View Post
The s/c gives you even power throughout the rpm range while the turbo is more for the higher end. I'm going with the s/c about nov, until then I'm saving my pennies. Also might want to add the headers and Y- pipe to open up the exhaust up and get a few more ponies out of there.
Completely agree with this statement. Trubos are great for top end. When offroading you would want all the low rpm torque you can get. S/c is the way to go!
Old 07-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
tacoman68 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
tacoman68's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guys but i dont know really what kind of gears and locker i would use i already have headers, exhaust system, intake. if you guys could give me some more info. on gears that would help.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Exclamation Believe what you want:

I mean some members will give advice about products they have never owned or maybe JUST have a personal prefrence.

I will tell you neither.

Offroading does not require the amount of power you will gain from a SC or turbo for the 1GR Tacoma. It is a light truck, and IS packed with enough power.

The members suggesting lockers and gears, are on point.

When at URE, I never depended on throttle power and RPM ranges, LOL...

I was worried about clearance and traction.

Take it for what it's worth..
Old 07-29-2009, 12:01 AM   #9
08AVTACO is a jewel in the rough08AVTACO is a jewel in the rough08AVTACO is a jewel in the rough08AVTACO is a jewel in the rough

08AVTACO's Tacoma Gallery
go with the s/c buddy of mine has a s/c 3.4 w/ lt fully caged ect.. couldnt imagine that thing doin 100 in the desert 0r even 50 in the desert w/o the charger pushin the extra weight and 35" tires. low end torqe deff helps to get it sideways in the dirt, assuming that you are planning on doing some desert running with it.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 AM   #10
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
I mean some members will give advice about products they have never owned or maybe JUST have a personal prefrence.

I will tell you neither.

Offroading does not require the amount of power you will gain from a SC or turbo for the 1GR Tacoma. It is a light truck, and IS packed with enough power.

The members suggesting lockers and gears, are on point.

When at URE, I never depended on throttle power and RPM ranges, LOL...

I was worried about clearance and traction.

Take it for what it's worth..
This is the correct answer. All of it.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #11
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
There is a lot of bad information here and some good. The whole "turbos are for high end" is WRONG. WRONG. You could be at full boost at 2000 rpm if you wanted to, if you spec the turbo for your aplication. No diff. for a supercharger. There are superchargers that will give you no low end and a HUGE high end pull. They are speced for drag racing. Our trucks with a small turbo would have no lag and a great power band.

You could do a home brew t3 kit and it would kick ass for off road. Keep the boost below 6psi and you wouldn't need an intercooler. No low piping to worry about.

Do you need either for a nice off road rig? No, but it would be fun.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I've always run out of suspension and traction long before running out of engine. As most have already said, that cash would be better spent on lockers, gears, skidplates, sliders, and tires.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #13
jpg366 will become famous soon enough
jpg366's Tacoma Gallery
4-low in a '57 Willis would crawl anything the tires could bite on, with a tiny 4-cylinder engine. It's all about gearing. But if you want torque, drop a diesel in it.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on what kind of off roading you do.

My off road truck is a 96 4Runner and I have a TRD Supercharger on it (Serial number 299).

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=MVI_0766.flv

I travel all over to go wheeling. Been to Moab, Framington NM, Hot Springs AR, Paragon and Roush Creek PA, and lots of places in VA.

The only time I have ever seen boost when 4 wheeling is when I was doing something very stupid. One of those "hold my beer; watch this" moments. With the kind of off roading I do it is all about gearing and traction, not tons of HP.

If you are using the boost from a modified roots supercharger while wheeling low and slow, you are about to break something very expensive and ruin your day.

Now if you were off road racing like the Baja 500 or something like that, whole different story. I would go something that gives you lots of power in the upper RPMs like a custom turbo system or a URD supercharger system.

In the end for the type of wheeling most of us do, boost is not needed and will rarely ever be used off road. You should focus on gearing and traction not boost.

Now getting there is half the fun and I use boost all the time on the roads!!!

You may see my 4Runner blowing down I-81 and I-40 going to Hot Springs for the TTORA Take over event this week.

Gadget
Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk35 View Post
The maf cal is a joke really. You'll get maybe 10-15 horses out of it if that even.
I will have to disagree with you on that statement. There is no joke about it.

There is nothing out there in this price range in a programmable calibration unit that can unleash the hidden power in your engine. For $250 we usually do see around 15 RWHP with better driveability and better MPG.

Remember that other things that cost way more advertise crank HP gains and if you directly compare results to cost, the URD MAF Sensor Calibrator is an extremely good performance value and the one thing is certainly is not is a joke.

G