1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

turbo or s/c for offroad

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by tacoman68, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Jul 22, 2009 at 8:14 PM
    tacoman68

tacoman68 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Rio rancho nm
    Vehicle:
    4X4 08 Tacoma with ENGAGE long travel
    O8 Tacoma with Engage long travel front and rear 2.5/12 with resi and 2.0 bump stops up front with engine cage have bed cage with king 2.5/16 with resi and 61.5 deavers and 13in. Shackles with 2.0 bumps as for engine have douge thorny headers cold air intake and short shifter installed in tranny have racing seats with 4 point harness full alpine sound system
    i want more power out of my 4.0 v6 but i dont know what to get turbo or s/c i do mostly off roading and soon to get long travel so i need some help what would be better for me.

2. Jul 22, 2009 at 8:19 PM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    I would guess supercharger man. More torque earlier in the RPM range. I don't know much about off roading, but I'd figure you'd spend more time in the lower half RPM range.

3. Jul 22, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    cjimenRR

cjimenRR Be Good or Be Good At It

Member:
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12' Sport DC,LB, 4x4
    Neither, spend your money on getting a rear locker or regearing if you do a lot of off road. S/C or turbos would do no good for what you say you do

4. Jul 22, 2009 at 8:30 PM
    Ty's Taco

Ty's Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner SR5 Sport Pearl Black
    Ask visa or my wife. They both constantly remind me how much I've got left to spend.
    The s/c gives you even power throughout the rpm range while the turbo is more for the higher end. I'm going with the s/c about nov, until then I'm saving my pennies. Also might want to add the headers and Y- pipe to open up the exhaust up and get a few more ponies out of there.

5. Jul 22, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    The x-1 gives you a power increase, but nothing like adding a s/c. This wouldn't really help you with a power increase you would notice offroad.
    The maf cal is a joke really. You'll get maybe 10-15 horses out of it if that even. It helps with your mpgs sort of, and if you have the x-1 this is worthless.
    Completely agree with this statement. Trubos are great for top end. When offroading you would want all the low rpm torque you can get. S/c is the way to go!

6. Jul 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    tacoman68

tacoman68 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Rio rancho nm
    Vehicle:
    4X4 08 Tacoma with ENGAGE long travel
    O8 Tacoma with Engage long travel front and rear 2.5/12 with resi and 2.0 bump stops up front with engine cage have bed cage with king 2.5/16 with resi and 61.5 deavers and 13in. Shackles with 2.0 bumps as for engine have douge thorny headers cold air intake and short shifter installed in tranny have racing seats with 4 point harness full alpine sound system
    thanks guys but i dont know really what kind of gears and locker i would use i already have headers, exhaust system, intake. if you guys could give me some more info. on gears that would help.

7. Jul 25, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    The engine on our trucks is strong enough. I would look into other aspects. For the 3k you were gonna spend you could do all sorts of things. Regear, lockers front and back, winch.

8. Jul 25, 2009 at 8:30 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    I mean some members will give advice about products they have never owned or maybe JUST have a personal prefrence.

I will tell you neither.

Offroading does not require the amount of power you will gain from a SC or turbo for the 1GR Tacoma. It is a light truck, and IS packed with enough power.

The members suggesting lockers and gears, are on point.

When at URE, I never depended on throttle power and RPM ranges, LOL...

I was worried about clearance and traction.

Take it for what it's worth..

9. Jul 29, 2009 at 12:01 AM
    08AVTACO

08AVTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    debadged, limo front& back
    go with the s/c buddy of mine has a s/c 3.4 w/ lt fully caged ect.. couldnt imagine that thing doin 100 in the desert 0r even 50 in the desert w/o the charger pushin the extra weight and 35" tires. low end torqe deff helps to get it sideways in the dirt, assuming that you are planning on doing some desert running with it.

10. Jul 29, 2009 at 12:24 AM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    This is the correct answer. All of it.

11. Jul 29, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    There is a lot of bad information here and some good. The whole "turbos are for high end" is WRONG. WRONG. You could be at full boost at 2000 rpm if you wanted to, if you spec the turbo for your aplication. No diff. for a supercharger. There are superchargers that will give you no low end and a HUGE high end pull. They are speced for drag racing. Our trucks with a small turbo would have no lag and a great power band.

You could do a home brew t3 kit and it would kick ass for off road. Keep the boost below 6psi and you wouldn't need an intercooler. No low piping to worry about.

Do you need either for a nice off road rig? No, but it would be fun.

12. Jul 29, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    I've always run out of suspension and traction long before running out of engine. As most have already said, that cash would be better spent on lockers, gears, skidplates, sliders, and tires.

13. Jul 29, 2009 at 7:56 PM
    jpg366

jpg366 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner SR5
    4-low in a '57 Willis would crawl anything the tires could bite on, with a tiny 4-cylinder engine. It's all about gearing. But if you want torque, drop a diesel in it.

14. Aug 2, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    It all depends on what kind of off roading you do.

My off road truck is a 96 4Runner and I have a TRD Supercharger on it (Serial number 299).

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/Gadget2317/?action=view&current=MVI_0766.flv

I travel all over to go wheeling. Been to Moab, Framington NM, Hot Springs AR, Paragon and Roush Creek PA, and lots of places in VA.

The only time I have ever seen boost when 4 wheeling is when I was doing something very stupid. One of those "hold my beer; watch this" moments. With the kind of off roading I do it is all about gearing and traction, not tons of HP.

If you are using the boost from a modified roots supercharger while wheeling low and slow, you are about to break something very expensive and ruin your day.

Now if you were off road racing like the Baja 500 or something like that, whole different story. I would go something that gives you lots of power in the upper RPMs like a custom turbo system or a URD supercharger system.

In the end for the type of wheeling most of us do, boost is not needed and will rarely ever be used off road. You should focus on gearing and traction not boost.

Now getting there is half the fun and I use boost all the time on the roads!!!

You may see my 4Runner blowing down I-81 and I-40 going to Hot Springs for the TTORA Take over event this week.

Gadget

15. Aug 2, 2009 at 2:27 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    I will have to disagree with you on that statement. There is no joke about it.

There is nothing out there in this price range in a programmable calibration unit that can unleash the hidden power in your engine. For $250 we usually do see around 15 RWHP with better driveability and better MPG.

Remember that other things that cost way more advertise crank HP gains and if you directly compare results to cost, the URD MAF Sensor Calibrator is an extremely good performance value and the one thing is certainly is not is a joke.

G

Products Discussed in

To Top