1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Functional Hood Scoop?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Tugboatdude, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Jul 24, 2009 at 2:39 AM
    Tugboatdude

Tugboatdude [OP] Team Wonderbread

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Sport Long Bed
    6in Pro Comp, 17x8.5" Razor Rims, 35in BFG's, Tinted windows, Piaa lights. Magna Flow cat back exhaust.
    Hey guys, maybe someone already posted this but is it possible to make the hoodscoop actually functional? If so what do I have to do and is it worth it? Thanks.

2. Jul 24, 2009 at 4:49 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I think if you removed the plastic stopper on the hood scoop it would reverse the effect...You'd have to run your CAI up near the scoop i guess...not sure

3. Jul 24, 2009 at 5:25 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    there are a few threads about this already....That scoop is a in a low pressure area of the hood and too small/facing the wrong direction to be made truly functional.

It's likely that opening that scoop would cause air to be sucked OUT of the engine compartment- Cooling the engine bay but not providing better charge air.

4. Jul 24, 2009 at 6:40 AM
    Padilla1880

Padilla1880 "Let's Ride!"

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OffRoad V6 SR5 PreRunner
    Yeah pretty much what both said. The scoop is pretty much useless and is just for show. There have been a few who have actually made it functional, but had to do a bunch of mods to get it to work if i remember correctly.

5. Jul 24, 2009 at 6:43 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    ive seen one on here that had a divertor made that sent the air to the air filter, i wonder if it sucked air away

6. Jul 24, 2009 at 1:06 PM
    Tugboatdude

Tugboatdude [OP] Team Wonderbread

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Sport Long Bed
    6in Pro Comp, 17x8.5" Razor Rims, 35in BFG's, Tinted windows, Piaa lights. Magna Flow cat back exhaust.
    Alright thanks guys, sounds like its a no go.

Products Discussed in

To Top