1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Melted my 2 catalytic converters...

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Ballsyone, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Jul 25, 2009 at 4:57 PM
    Ballsyone

Ballsyone [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner
    Cold air intake, TRD Super Charger with 2.1 URD Super Grip Pulley, Water Methynol Injection, Titanium Ceramic Headers, Total Chaos Long Travel front suspension, etc. etc. etc
    I've got 40,000 miles on my Super Charger with JBL Titanium Ceramic headers and stainless steel exhuast. Wife was driving it and the truck just stopped while driving down the highway. I was out of town and had to have the truck towed to the Truck Shop in San Diego. The super charger belt was broken AGAIN, this one lasting only 5,000 miles, but also the catalytic converters were melted completely and were not allowing any exhaust thru. :) I was not aware that these things melted like that. My first super charger belt lasted about 15,000 miles. The second latesed about 7,000 and this one lasted about 5,000. I was getting concerned about the belts lasting shorter and shorter, but, with the super-grip pulley, I thought that was the price to pay for the extra performance. The smaller pulley has sharp slots which help prevent slipping and the smaller size allows me to get up to 9.5 - 10 psi. The increasing back pressure as the converters clogged up more and more were making the super charger work harder and harder to force the air thru. Needless to say the truck hauls ass! Now I am facing having to buy 2 new converters at about $700 each. The thing is, I don't want to keep buying those every 40,000 miles ESPECIALLY knowing that they are slowly melting and clogging my exhaust. I will most likely mount them for smogging and then removing them every other year when it is time for smogging again.

Has anyone ever heard of converters melting completely like this? What about installing some heavy duty converters??? And/or is that even an option? And does anyone know of a "shop" in Vegas that does smogging for guys like me?

TIA...

2. Jul 26, 2009 at 6:19 PM
    lilgerber

lilgerber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 off road Speedway blue
    Front: Total Chaos 3.5 4x4 LT kit, Engage off-road one piece hood, Caged front end, TC gussets. Rear: Fiberworks fenders, King 14" 3.0 triple bypasses, boxed/braced frame, extended brake lines, 63" chevy leaf springs, U bolt flip kit, TC lower shock mounts. Preformance: URD intake, Doug Thorley headers, Flowmaster 40, 2.5 tubing. Interior: Weather techs, LED's, Double DIn, kicker 10" subs, Kicker componet speakers, Exterior: Method wheels with OMF beadlocks, Custom made bumpers, Retro headlights.
    wow never heard of that happening. sorry really cant help.

3. Jul 27, 2009 at 4:43 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Never mind.:D See below.

4. Jul 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    if i had to guess your truck is running WAY TOO LEAN!
    to melt a cat like that

5. Jul 29, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I was also thinking the same thing. Is that not why there is a 7th injector kit (but I admit that I don't know how it works) and higher flow fuel pump? Curious if those items are also installed in this setup.

6. Jul 29, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Didn't see the first time:He is also running water meth.inject.:notsure:

7. Aug 2, 2009 at 6:36 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    If you don't have fuel mods it will run very lean and over temp the cats in boost.

The belt should last a very long time with the URD pulley. If it is snapping suddenly with no unusual signs of wear, then that is likely the known problem with the belt slipping off the tensioner pulley. URD has a fix for that with our tensioner pulley that has the tall ears on it.

Now if your belt is breaking because it is wearing out and dusting badly, that is a problem with angular miss alignment of the supercharger pulley in relation to the other pulleys in the belt drive. The fix for that is to take the belt off and loosen the supercharger and shift it around until it is lined up properly with the rest of the pulleys.

This is like having a bad alignment with your front end and the tires will wear out very quickly because they will scrub going down the road.

On my 4Runner with the TRD supercharger and the URD pulley I had my supercharger belt on for over 90,000 miles and not one bit of unusual wear.

Feel free to give me a call at URD tech support if you want 877-887-3872 x3

Gadget

Products Discussed in

To Top