Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Melted my 2 catalytic converters...

Old 07-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Ballsyone is on a distinguished road
Ballsyone's Tacoma Gallery
Melted my 2 catalytic converters...

I've got 40,000 miles on my Super Charger with JBL Titanium Ceramic headers and stainless steel exhuast. Wife was driving it and the truck just stopped while driving down the highway. I was out of town and had to have the truck towed to the Truck Shop in San Diego. The super charger belt was broken AGAIN, this one lasting only 5,000 miles, but also the catalytic converters were melted completely and were not allowing any exhaust thru. I was not aware that these things melted like that. My first super charger belt lasted about 15,000 miles. The second latesed about 7,000 and this one lasted about 5,000. I was getting concerned about the belts lasting shorter and shorter, but, with the super-grip pulley, I thought that was the price to pay for the extra performance. The smaller pulley has sharp slots which help prevent slipping and the smaller size allows me to get up to 9.5 - 10 psi. The increasing back pressure as the converters clogged up more and more were making the super charger work harder and harder to force the air thru. Needless to say the truck hauls ass! Now I am facing having to buy 2 new converters at about $700 each. The thing is, I don't want to keep buying those every 40,000 miles ESPECIALLY knowing that they are slowly melting and clogging my exhaust. I will most likely mount them for smogging and then removing them every other year when it is time for smogging again.

Has anyone ever heard of converters melting completely like this? What about installing some heavy duty converters??? And/or is that even an option? And does anyone know of a "shop" in Vegas that does smogging for guys like me?

TIA...
Old 07-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
lilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to behold

lilgerber's Tacoma Gallery
wow never heard of that happening. sorry really cant help.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
bass mechanic has a spectacular aura aboutbass mechanic has a spectacular aura about
bass mechanic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
9.5-10psi.. Wow,That's alot of air moving through there. What's the cfm on your stock cats compaired to the 4.0L? It might do the trick.How about the 4.7L? Yep..more cfm home work.
if i had to guess your truck is running WAY TOO LEAN!
to melt a cat like that
Old 07-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
if i had to guess your truck is running WAY TOO LEAN!
to melt a cat like that
I was also thinking the same thing. Is that not why there is a 7th injector kit (but I admit that I don't know how it works) and higher flow fuel pump? Curious if those items are also installed in this setup.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Didn't see the first time:He is also running water meth.inject.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't have fuel mods it will run very lean and over temp the cats in boost.

The belt should last a very long time with the URD pulley. If it is snapping suddenly with no unusual signs of wear, then that is likely the known problem with the belt slipping off the tensioner pulley. URD has a fix for that with our tensioner pulley that has the tall ears on it.

Now if your belt is breaking because it is wearing out and dusting badly, that is a problem with angular miss alignment of the supercharger pulley in relation to the other pulleys in the belt drive. The fix for that is to take the belt off and loosen the supercharger and shift it around until it is lined up properly with the rest of the pulleys.

This is like having a bad alignment with your front end and the tires will wear out very quickly because they will scrub going down the road.

On my 4Runner with the TRD supercharger and the URD pulley I had my supercharger belt on for over 90,000 miles and not one bit of unusual wear.

Feel free to give me a call at URD tech support if you want 877-887-3872 x3

Gadget