Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Low end torque?

Old 07-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
The Green Machine
MiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MiikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Low end torque?

my truck is super slow during acceleration but once i get about 3500+ rpm its better. is there any way to increase my low end torque (i think thats what it is).. im not too knowledgeable with the associating the terms and what not so bear with me. Hopefully thats what it is.. but yeah, is there something i can add to increase torque? already have exhaust and CAI. soon to get DTLT headers
Old 07-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Gears.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
your low end is only gonna get weaker once u get the long tubes. all those bolt-ons u got on is mainly for mid-top end power
Old 07-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
gas pedal.

I drove about 300km the other day, very steep hills and I didn't want to slow do so much as to need 3rd gear. so I was pushing the truck in 4th at 120km/h up the hills.

I was amazed to find my mpg is no different overall than normal city/highway driving.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
02tacoma2.7 is on a distinguished road

Name: Barrett
02tacoma2.7's Tacoma Gallery
i dont know about these motors. but like on my mustang the long tube headers would make you lose a little low end toque. and i know my 2.7 dosent start wineding you till like 3000rpms or more. if that helps any.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Another thing you may consider is the NorthWest Off Road Try-Y headers. They really woke up my 2.7
Old 07-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
SLOH is a jewel in the roughSLOH is a jewel in the roughSLOH is a jewel in the rough

Name: Scott
SLOH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Gears.

what ratio would you suggest re-gearing too, 4.10? I haven't looked much in to re-gearing but my buddy got some 4.10 on his mustang and thats what initially sparked the idea. I haven't researched it much but from what i have seen so far, its been somewhat hard to find 4.10 gears for an 05+ tacoma and i don't know how involved the process is. I wouldn't want to buy something and try to throw it on my truck and get into something over my head if you know what i mean.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
I think I will be returning my DT long tubes for some DT shorties. I offroad and daily drive only, no street racing. If I would have know I would lose power and torque from stock, I never would have got the long tubes. There are mixed feelings about the low end power losses on though.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Headers will help you out man! I just put a set on last weekend and I love it. You can feel the torque and power increase. Now it gets up and goes at acceleration. Mine used to be sluggish like yours, not anymore!
Old 08-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #13
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
TRD Headers will help you out man! I just put a set on last weekend and I love it. You can feel the torque and power increase. Now it gets up and goes at acceleration. Mine used to be sluggish like yours, not anymore!
Good to know. I think the doug thorley shorties will be similar gains to what you have.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, if you go with shorty headers. LT will give more power in the high RPM range.
I personally like the power/torque in the lows, makes for good acceleration!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
yeah, if you go with shorty headers. LT will give more power in the high RPM range.
I personally like the power/torque in the lows, makes for good acceleration!
+1, and for hill climbs it would help too.