1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Startedon my Headers!!!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by ETaco23, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Jul 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 [OP] Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    I decided to start on my TRD Headers today, even though it was 106 degrees outside. I almost got the stock manifolds off, in the 2 hours I was out there. I gave up trying to get the bolts off of the y-pipe, so took everyones advise and just got out the saw-all. I have one more cut to make, and the stock pipes will be out!

I would like to get the Headers in tomarrow, but we will see.... wish me luck on the rest!

2. Jul 29, 2009 at 8:58 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    'bout time! :)

3. Jul 29, 2009 at 8:58 PM
    matthew5olson

matthew5olson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 ext cab 3.4L 5spd 4x4 sr5
    K&N cold air intake, doug thorley headers, rear sensor simulator, flowmaster 40 series, magnecor plug wires, Royal Purple synthetic gear lube, airaid throttle body spacer, Hyperground system, flex-a-lite elec fan.
    so you decided to do it yourself. Awesome. Hope all goes well. If I was anywhere near you I'd lend a hand.

4. Jul 29, 2009 at 9:01 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Thanks! And Verry Funny chris!! :)

One of my dads buddy's told me that I should use copper gaskets and that they work good. Have you ever heard that chris! I know you told me OEM and thats what I got. But just curious.

5. Jul 29, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    matthew5olson

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    K&N cold air intake, doug thorley headers, rear sensor simulator, flowmaster 40 series, magnecor plug wires, Royal Purple synthetic gear lube, airaid throttle body spacer, Hyperground system, flex-a-lite elec fan.
    I just used my original gaskets from the stock manifold (they were metal) I have had no problems.

6. Jul 29, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, thats what I baught. But for some reason he prefers copper gaskets.

Well, tomarrow after work I will spend a nother couple hours out there and get the stock crap out. I gatta get more blades, I broke 2. :)

7. Jul 29, 2009 at 9:06 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I have heard of them, and used them on some engine builds, but I prefer the OEM gaskets as they are a really good quality, and less prone to leaks.

That may be the case, but its not the norm. Gaskets are cheap, and I know more people in which they have had leaks re useing the gaskets.

8. Jul 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    hmmm.... thats what I thaught too... I hope I dont have leaks down the road.

Im ganna use some RTV on everything!

9. Jul 29, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I have read tons of post talking about how hard and a PITA it is to do these. But really it isnt that bad. There are some tight spaces but there able to get to. Im a carpenter and deal with some tough shit sometimes, and this isn't that bad.

Dont know about the Install of the new stuff yet! But I hope its not too difficult to get them in.

10. Jul 29, 2009 at 9:27 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
  11. Jul 29, 2009 at 9:27 PM
    matthew5olson

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    Same as what you said. some tight spaces and a little wedging but it is doable. something else I remembered also. I moved both my breathers and a connector (both on drivers side) so that they didn't melt. Well I didn't get to the connector in time so it has turned into more of a non usable connector. took one of the brackets off holding the wires for the connector and zip tied the connector as far forward as I could. No troubles with anything else melting.

12. Jul 30, 2009 at 8:17 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Well! today I got the rest of the stock manifold off and out. Then went to start on the passenger side. But, I couldnt get the pipe in! It is a huge PITA to get up in, I have no clue how you guys got yours In! I little help or advise for getting it in would be great!

My dads buddy might be stopping by to try and help. He's a machanic.

This is really pissing me off!!!:(

13. Jul 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Now I wish I had a shop do the Install...

14. Jul 30, 2009 at 8:22 PM
    matthew5olson

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    wow I thought the passenger side was easier. Take the tranny out and everything will be real easy. hehe. Did you try it from both sides. (underneath) I'm not sure if there is room with the tranny in.
    Ah I just remembered. I had to take the studs out. Even with the tranny out I did have to take out the studs. That way you don't scratch them all up. And don't forget yours gaskets. I've done that before. then its real fun when you get to take it apart again.

15. Jul 30, 2009 at 8:25 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    So how do you get the studs off? do they just unscrew?

16. Jul 30, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I hope I didnt ruen them trying to get the Headers In. Bc that is what I was hitting!

17. Jul 30, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    matthew5olson

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    you shouldn't have. You need a reverse torques socket. They have a set of them for like 10 bucks at a parts store. (Its an inverted star socket) You shouldn't have ruined them mainly for the fact that the threads don't go all the way to the top. (because they have that star tip) If this is confusing you you'll know what I'm talking about when you look at it.
    What brand headers did you get. My doug thorley's actually gave me bolts (instead of a stud and nut system) for my passenger side. They had me take out the studs and throw them away. I bought lock washers for the bolts so they didn't vibrate loose.

18. Jul 30, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    How? I must know!!!! :)

19. Jul 30, 2009 at 8:48 PM
    matthew5olson

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
  20. Jul 30, 2009 at 8:49 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I got TRD's and I kow what your talking about. I just went out there and checked them. There good! Im ganna have to pic up a set of those sockets tomarrow. thanks a bunch! you have saved me a huge headache! I was about to through a fit! lol

I think my dads buddy might still swing by and help with the Install, so I hope we can get it done tomarrow evening.....

Products Discussed in

To Top