Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Getting Headers!!!

Old 12-19-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
AZsurfer13 is on a distinguished road

AZsurfer13's Tacoma Gallery
Getting Headers!!!

I'm getting some Doug Thorley headers this month I am sooo Stoked! They add about 20hp according to the dyno results.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
New Hedders

Cool man, with the other mods you allready have intake/exhaust,hedders will be a good addition too.I dont have hedders on my Tacoma, but on my fullsize domestic (K1500 -`93), I picked up 2mpg.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I'm so jealous. I wish Santa brought me some, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:00 PM   #4

Whats funny is I bought this truck as a work truck and I am slowely making it into a rocket. I should be able to get twice the work done now right!?
Old 01-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
biorunner1 is on a distinguished road
biorunner1's Tacoma Gallery
Me Too

So I just got those same headers. I also had them add a Flowmaster 70Series and already had AFE Intake.

I've tried to feel the gain but Im not sure if I am happy with the headers yet. Strait off the line I feel some punch but it seems to sag at 1500 rpm's. I suppose thats the Torque I gained, but is not too impressive. Around 3700 Is where the Intake kicks in and it gets loud but was like that before the other Mods.

I saw those power gains too on the Doug Thorley web site but i just don't feel it. Im wondering if I need to do some tuning or do I really need a chip. That Unichip seems to be the only thing available but I didnt want to have to drop another 800 just to benifit from those headers.

Anybody else have an Idea of what I can do or what others can expect if they get headers?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
Big Guns is on a distinguished road
Big Guns's Tacoma Gallery
I was considering headers on my prerunner to go along with my exhaust/intake combo. I saw the 31hp gain dyno sheets online and got excited, but after talked to a couple gear heads ad truck shops, even with exhaust, intake, headers, your only looking at about 10-13hp gains overall. You will prob feel a diff in low end torque gains, but you will not get that 50hp gains that online dynosheets claim without some major overhauls. HP is expensive.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by biorunner1 View Post
So I just got those same headers. I also had them add a Flowmaster 70Series and already had AFE Intake.

I've tried to feel the gain but Im not sure if I am happy with the headers yet. Strait off the line I feel some punch but it seems to sag at 1500 rpm's. I suppose thats the Torque I gained, but is not too impressive. Around 3700 Is where the Intake kicks in and it gets loud but was like that before the other Mods.

I saw those power gains too on the Doug Thorley web site but i just don't feel it. Im wondering if I need to do some tuning or do I really need a chip. That Unichip seems to be the only thing available but I didnt want to have to drop another 800 just to benifit from those headers.

Anybody else have an Idea of what I can do or what others can expect if they get headers?
Yeah I know what you are talking about with the intake at about 3700rpm's. I felt a significant change in my truck from about 2000 to 4000 I can feel where the header unleashes its power. I can def feel it on the freeway too, I can pass people a heck of a lot easier now. When I visit back home Im getting my truck dyno tested so I'll know for sure then what Im getting
Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Guns View Post
I was considering headers on my prerunner to go along with my exhaust/intake combo. I saw the 31hp gain dyno sheets online and got excited, but after talked to a couple gear heads ad truck shops, even with exhaust, intake, headers, your only looking at about 10-13hp gains overall. You will prob feel a diff in low end torque gains, but you will not get that 50hp gains that online dynosheets claim without some major overhauls. HP is expensive.
I do think to get the maximum hp out of them there needs to be some tuning done, but I felt the power gain for sure. I can spin my 31 BFG's A/T with ease and chirp in 2nd