1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD CAI Install

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by rb11701, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Aug 10, 2009 at 12:07 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    So, I installed the CAI I got last week today. Taking off the old air filter assembly was fairly easy. The tricky part came trying to piece the CAI together. In itself, it is not a hard install. The problem I ran into was poor build quality IMO. I came across two instances of this that were a realpain the ass.

#1 After you install the air filter housing (Big box air filter sits in) you have to install the filter adapter. basically all this is is a piece of tube that connects the filter housing to the intake tube. There are 3 holes in the filter housing and 5 threaded holes on the filter adapter. Put the adapter inside the housing and screw it down. Right easy? Well, it would be that the holes that were predilled into the housing didn't match up to any of the 5 threaded holes. I then had to take the housing out again and match up 2 holes and 1 that was the closest and kinda chew away at the hole with a a drill bit to open it up a bit. After that, that went easy. Trying to put the screws in before making this adustment results in dropping 3 screws into the engine bay and 1 was never recovered, Went all the way done.

#2 After the CAI was in, you put on that TRD silver cover. Cool looking cover. Well, the air filter housing is not the exact size as the cover. It took me putting in 1 screw and then pushing/pulling on the housing to line up another etc etc. The last screw I don't know how it would have ever lined up. But seeing that I never found that screw (they are the same for #1 PITA above) I had to just leave it. it is the screw all the way inthe back on the left.

Just some observations:

The stock tube that comes from the fender panel seemed better art getting the air from the hole in the fender panel. it actually went in. The CAI has a rubber seal type piece that goes over the inlet on the housing. Once you install the bolts, it just presses up against the panel. Have no idea if this makes a big deal or not.
    Also, lineup the intake tube kinda is a pain. You have install the mounting rod off the stock assembly to the new CAI so that the engine cover goes back on (it is for one of the screws). Takes some fiddling around with so that the tube is in the right place and the gaskets are on the throttle body and the housing correctly. Not as hard as #1 or #2 above, just needs some attention.

Impressions: Well, the truck has a different sound to it. It is not so much loud as it is a little throaty. Only at certain RPMS do I notice so far. There might be a wee bit of a drone at say 1500-1800 RPMS. When you get on it, it sounds pretty good. It reminds of my buddies SC thunderbird (minues the takeoff speed). The way it sucks in the air I guess. I have to say that there is a little more cabin noise than before. Not so much loud but not stock. I have yet to decided if I like it.
    The biggest thing I have noticed is the ticking from the valves is louder now that the stock assembly is gone. When I put the engine cover back on, the left of my engine bay looked empty! The old housing is quite large and covers all valves on that side.

Performance: Well, I am not sure if this a placebo-type feeling I have or not but I feel a crisper response when stepping on the gas. Below 2k, I can't say yet if I feel that. Need more time to test. I can't say that I feel more power at all, but it does seem to shift better (AT) and it 'seemed' to get up to 80MPH much easier throught the rpm range. Again, more testing for me to fully decide.

Final thoughts: I am torn between liking the response I have now and not sure if I like the extra sound. With the radio on or driving on the highway it didn't seem that noticeable. But I was only on a quick cruise. A nice drive with the wife will be the tell-tale.
    I am a bit surprised (well maybe I shouldn't be) about the build quality. I could see the filter adapter. It was off not that much. But the cover not fitting the assembly easily left me left in awe. At first I thought I had the wrong filter housing. But once it got in there it looked right except for that 1 screw. Dunno.

Anyways, jjust my recent experience, hope it helps someone.

2. Aug 10, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Just and update. I was able to get that cover on this time around easier than the first. it took less manipulation than before. I will have to find a replacement screw though now. Perhaps the heat helped lossen the plastic but it fits right now. Still think it was too much of a PITA for a brand name like TRD but all went well I guess.

Now just have to decide if I really like it.

3. Aug 14, 2009 at 10:24 PM
    car15

car15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 X-Runner
    I just almost finished installing the TRD CAI. I had the same problem but worse with the metal filter cover. It does not fit due to it being different shape than the filter box cover cutout. Three off the screw holes on the cover do not match the holes on the filter box. Also the rubber seal that is supplied and has to be installed in the intake side of the filter box is too short thus leaving a three inch gap when installed. This gap will let hot air from the engine compartment into the filter box. I will have to go to Lowes tomorrow and get a piece of plexiglass and make a cover for the filter box. I will also look for the same type filter box intake seal but longer so it will seal better on the fender.

What a PITA!!:mad:

4. Aug 15, 2009 at 2:37 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    For the seal, I found to be a pain as well. Mine started that large but after pulling and stretching I got it to less than 1/2". As for the cover, isn't it crazy? I found that when tightening up the filter box enough so it isn't loose changes the shape of the plastic. So, I started with one screw in the corner. I then lifted the actual box up with my hand as much as I could from the rear (side closest to firewall). This actually puts the box back to almost original shape. At this time, you should be able to line up another screw holle. Try and go for an screw onthe opposste side. Just keep at it. By lifting the back of the box you will be able to maniplulate the cover to go on. I was able to get all screws in this way.

But. it was a PITA. Once I got it in, I thought it too be pretty good. Just keep lifting that box. And be careful with the screws. The top looks like it will scratch very easy.

5. Aug 15, 2009 at 6:53 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    How about some pics of the CAI mounted?

6. Aug 15, 2009 at 7:11 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
  7. Aug 15, 2009 at 7:51 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Got it all in nice.

IMG_6003_ab60eedada8db6d0144a7fe01dc82296d99f5ff9.jpg

IMG_6010_ae6b600cafb3c43a9f85df8d149941830e7799d6.jpg

Just needed a hand to get it all in place.

8. Aug 15, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    Looks good! Nice clean engine bay too!

9. Aug 15, 2009 at 8:44 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    I had the exact same problems with my afe which is the same intake, bolts did not line up with the holes, which made it difficult to get it together, then the metal plate didnt fit right because the whole intake is twisted due to unalligned holes.

10. Aug 15, 2009 at 5:51 PM
    r12rex

r12rex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
    Maybe bad batch? I just installed a TRD intake and everything lined up fine except ONE hole on the silver TRD plate. That was remedied with just slight pulling on the plastic box.

I too noticed the seal being a bit short...I don't think the gap is large enough to make a big difference. I'm sure it will be fine.

Noticed a bit of a difference. I'm happy with my $225 purchase. ;)

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

11. Aug 15, 2009 at 10:01 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!

12. Aug 15, 2009 at 10:13 PM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    I made some acrylic covers for these. I made the first one like the metal cover and it looked like crap. Then I made another one and cut it to fit the box, which is not square.

caicover026_3155e2ccfde5dfac62d66174b90558f7af17b340.jpg

13. Aug 15, 2009 at 10:28 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Cool design. Is that a stick on or cut into the acrylic? The X-runner TRD logo I mean.

14. Aug 16, 2009 at 6:25 AM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    It is laser etched into the acrylic. I also made one of these.

JCS017_e157f4af6f420db8e1a77a03fcd52e3894dd7144.jpg

15. Aug 16, 2009 at 10:07 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Thats nice work. I am actually selling my CAI. I know I know...I just installed it but it is not what I was looking for. I just re-installed the stock housing today and after a real quick drive I am much happier. The sound just wasn't for me. Which answers my question about getting an exhaust. All stock for me baby! lol

16. Aug 17, 2009 at 10:58 AM
    car15

car15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 X-Runner
    I did the box pulling technique and was able to get all of the screws in. I also am not too happy with the new sound. What exhaust mod should I do?

17. Aug 17, 2009 at 3:32 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    I felt any exhaust mod will make that noise more evident. It wasn't that I wasn't happy with sound, I just like to stock sound better. I felt if I wanted all that roar I would have gotten a V8. Outside of the sound, my gains were in a RPM range that I really don't drive in. If I had a manual, I would see those RPM's often. But 3k? I gotta be at highway speeds for that. I try to keep it around 2k-2.5k for my normal driving. Plus, I also felt the URD MAF calibrator was something I would have to look into to fully get the performance out of the CAI or exhaust. And that mod I am waiting till I am out of warranty before I splice into the ECU. If you are not happy with the sound of the CAI, an exhaust will make it worse.

18. Mar 26, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    ramon20

ramon20 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 07 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    TRD Cold Air Intake, Borla Exaust, 20 inch BBS rims, roof racks,
    How much would you charge to make me one with the TRD emblem?

19. Mar 26, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    $110 shipped with the logo not painted.

$120 shipped with the logo painted.

20. Nov 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM
    tribum

tribum Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 LB Tacoma
    ARB Bumper, winch, Camburg UCAs, DR coilovers, 18x9 KMC Black Rockstars, Nitto Grapplers, Rigid LED lights (small driving lights, and 10" bar), Pioneer Nav System, Kicker Speakers, WeatherTech floormats, Leer shell, BedRug, Gibson Catback exhaust, Volant Cold Air Intake, Rear add-a-leafs

Products Discussed in

To Top