Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Answer this chris

Old 08-11-2009, 02:19 AM   #21
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
fuck when will this nite end
Old 08-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #22
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
When I go to bed...which I should do. Damn.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #23
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
oops def. meant to post in the UPT
Old 08-11-2009, 02:23 AM   #24
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

delete! delete!!! lol
Old 08-11-2009, 02:24 AM   #25
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
whatever
Old 08-11-2009, 02:26 AM   #26

we can make this the new UPT! Until someone gets pissed and we go back on topic.
lol
Old 08-11-2009, 02:27 AM   #27
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
i think the thread has been pretty well discussed... i see no need to return
Old 08-11-2009, 02:28 AM   #28

mhm...mhm...we'll see about that tomorrow. haha
Old 08-11-2009, 02:30 AM   #29
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
we will see... tomorrow
Old 08-11-2009, 05:59 AM   #30
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
I just realized, an "answer this chris" section would be cool! haha

THAT is not the point of this thread.
Warning: these questions may be dumb.
Flaming will result in a $250,000 fine.

OK! so I'm sitting here talking about how my buddy just got a cold air intake for his old civic for 40 bucks from a pick a part, Then I realize, it's not cold at all... it has a power gain because it get's more air because of the cone rather than a box, but if anything it's hotter because the air is coming from the engine compartment rather than the wheel well. answer it.

Why doesn't the intake run to beside the radiator and point straight out the front? the air would be forced in the faster you go, and it would be colder than the engine compartment.

thanks!
Many car companies DO run the intake to the front of the vehicle for a "Ram air" affect. My Wifes Honda, My neigbors Mitsubishi, and PackerfanXD's Mitsubishi all have the intake air inlet at the front of the vehicle in a nice high pressure area.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #31
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
The only CAI I think I have seen that grabs air from the outside is URD. It goes through the front of the truck and sits in front of the rad. The other CAI (true CAI) have the airbox right next to hole using a gasket to kinda make tight. The stock actually went into the hole. Not sure if this matters or not. Ther filter is in that box. I would imagine that the air should come in fine.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:02 AM   #32
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoholic View Post
I did this research cause there is a NEVER ENDING argument on which intake is better, Short Ram or Cold Air, on the Mazda forums and the most straightforward way of putting it is a ram air is a short tube usually run for about a foot away from the throttle body and into a conical filter in the engine bay behind the radiator where hot air is abundant but traveling at speed air is forced into the filter. There is a TQ gain over a HP gain with a ram air and it usually isn't good for city driving.

Cold Air is mounted out in front of the radiator behind the grille (for these trucks it seems) but for most passenger cars they run a pipe from the throttle body down to the inside of the wheel housing black plastic (whatever it's called) where it connects to a conical filter. Usually you get a higher HP gain than TQ because you are sucking in cold air from the wheel well instead of forcing it in through the radiator which produces a more efficient burn.

The massive downside to a CAI is that you can hydrolock...the massive downside to a ram air is that you suck in hot air and get less power and fuel economy. Still don't know which one is worse but they both provide a slight power gain in their own way.

Personally I would go for a CAI over a ram air but I'm too scared of hydrolocking. So I just stay stock.
Hydrolock is a risk any time you put ANY intake in water. If you take your stock truck and drive it into a lake and leave the engine running- stock intake or any CAI you'll probably hydrolock. If you are driving into water like that you need a snorkel. If you are not- Then you would probably be fine with a CAI...