Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

best Air intake

Old 08-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
lennythetaco is on a distinguished road

lennythetaco's Tacoma Gallery
best Air intake

hey i am looking to get a new air intake and i dont no which one to get. Im am currentaly looking at the:
K&N 77 Series High-Flow Performance Kit
TRD cold air Intake
AEM cold Air intake

If you could help that would be great thanks
lenny
Old 08-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
TRD. I just installed one. I findk a crisper response and a sucking like slight growl sound. If that makes sense.

Not bad looking.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb11701 View Post
TRD. I just installed one. I findk a crisper response and a sucking like slight growl sound. If that makes sense.

Not bad looking.
How's install on those things? Im pretty car retarded and was planning to get one but dont know if I should attempt an install. I just put my HiD's on this week and did my first oil change, thats quite an accomplishment for me...lol
Old 08-15-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
walker_txranger is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
walker_txranger's Tacoma Gallery
urd cant beat it
Old 08-15-2009, 03:08 AM   #5
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
How's install on those things? Im pretty car retarded and was planning to get one but dont know if I should attempt an install. I just put my HiD's on this week and did my first oil change, thats quite an accomplishment for me...lol
The install went fine, once the filter box is installed you will need to kinda lift it/move it to get the cover on. I think when tightening down the box the shape changes making the cover difficult to get on. I had to lift mine up from the rear of the box after it was installed to get the cover on right.

But I would put it on the level of an oil change. Pretty easy.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:33 AM   #6
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
The TRD and AFE are the best designed intakes out there, hands down.

I'm running the K&N, and I like it alot. I have had to modify it slightly to get better performance out of it, but as of now, my MAF accuracy is damn near perfect.

I would not recommend the URD intake.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I found a used one that Im thinking of buying. its got quite a bit of miles on it though (probably really dirty) and I was thinking of just replacing the cone filter. Will replacing the cone filter make it (practically) brand new? Or are there others parts that need cleaning too?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #8
Hi
bump cuz Im holding out on a sale depending on the answer ^^
Old 08-18-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
Newbie Status
TRlPPlN is a jewel in the roughTRlPPlN is a jewel in the roughTRlPPlN is a jewel in the roughTRlPPlN is a jewel in the rough

TRlPPlN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
I would not recommend the URD intake.
just out of curiousity, why would you not recommend URD?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #10
Oh yeah!
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
I found a used one that Im thinking of buying. its got quite a bit of miles on it though (probably really dirty) and I was thinking of just replacing the cone filter. Will replacing the cone filter make it (practically) brand new? Or are there others parts that need cleaning too?
You will either need to clean the filter or get a new one. IF the intake is cheap enough, get a dry filter. No need to oil. No risk of over oiling.

The rest of the intake can be lown out with compressed air. Push a microfiber towel through it to pick up any dirt/dust. Hit all the outside parts with a mild cleaner and shine them up with a good protectant. (303 brand or better). If the clamps and screws are dingy looking, you can always get replacements for it them. Make sure the MAF filter gasket is in good shape as well. And as long as the pieces don't have any cracks I would say your good to go.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:22 AM   #11
Oh yeah!
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlPPlN View Post
just out of curiousity, why would you not recommend URD?
Alot of people say the location of the filter could be prone to water etc etc. I guess it could. A pre-filter screen could be used, I just can't comment on how it would reduce performance. The only other down side I saw was cutting though the metal to get the pipe through. Kinda hard to make it go back to 100% if ever needed. Outside of that, I thought it looked good. I like the URD MAF cailbrator better though. I want one bad.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #12
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
What mods did you make to the K&N? I just installed a 63 serires in my truck and idk if i like the performance? I have an 06 pre-runner 4L.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #13
Love My Taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Love My Taco's Tacoma Gallery
don't mean to threadjack

Don't mean to threadjack, but I'm interested in any K&N mods too. How do you tune the MAF?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I have the TRD intake on my '05, my friend has the K&N. I don't really feel a whole lot of difference between the two as far as slight power increase/throttle response goes, but I can definitely say my TRD is louder. It rumbles very nicely all of the way through the bottom of the RPM range, and just screams for air under heavy acceleration. If you were looking for some throttle response, but don't want all of the racket, I would go with the K&N. Personally, I still like my TRD.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #15
svelez is on a distinguished road
Name: Santiago
svelez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I have the TRD intake on my '05, my friend has the K&N. I don't really feel a whole lot of difference between the two as far as slight power increase/throttle response goes, but I can definitely say my TRD is louder. It rumbles very nicely all of the way through the bottom of the RPM range, and just screams for air under heavy acceleration. If you were looking for some throttle response, but don't want all of the racket, I would go with the K&N. Personally, I still like my TRD.
I just installed the TRD intake on my '09, when I went to the shop, the Toyota guy told me that the TRD intake is actually a K&N custom made for Toyota, without K&N's logos. I don't know how true this is, but if it is, the performance should be very similar... I think.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #16
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelez View Post
I just installed the TRD intake on my '09, when I went to the shop, the Toyota guy told me that the TRD intake is actually a K&N custom made for Toyota, without K&N's logos. I don't know how true this is, but if it is, the performance should be very similar... I think.
There is probably some truth to that. If you look at both of them installed side by side, they look very similar, as do most CAI systems. If you go for a ride in my truck and then in my buddies, you won't feel a bit of difference. I kind of like the MAF location a bit better on the TRD as well as the sound, especially with the cover off, is very different. It would be kind of interesting to see if there is any truth to the fact that it is just rebadged. If so, you and I are esentially paying a premium price for just a logo.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelez View Post
The TRD is made by AFE.
The only "Cold Air intakes" I have seen give a gain in performance are the TRD, and URD. Everything else, pulls hot air from the engine bay.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #18
svelez is on a distinguished road
Name: Santiago
svelez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
There is probably some truth to that. If you look at both of them installed side by side, they look very similar, as do most CAI systems. If you go for a ride in my truck and then in my buddies, you won't feel a bit of difference. I kind of like the MAF location a bit better on the TRD as well as the sound, especially with the cover off, is very different. It would be kind of interesting to see if there is any truth to the fact that it is just rebadged. If so, you and I are esentially paying a premium price for just a logo.
Haha! Indeed we are!!! Victims of yet another marketing strategy... The only reason why I went with the TRD is because I have an extended warranty on my Taco, so I didn't want to void it so soon...
Old 01-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #19
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
virgilus11's Tacoma Gallery
My friendly suggestion would be to save your money and spend it on something that would really help an (or) improve your performance.

I spent $350 and then I give it away for free. All you will see is,,, little bit more noise at 2500 rpm and a lot more dust behind the filter.
This is a big engine and it needs a lot more then just a bigger filter.

Again ,, if this is what you want ??? then go ahead and follow your heart but, you will be disappointed after spending the money. I know, I was.

Good luck.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #20
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery

i really love my aem, i really am not disappointed in what i got, when you get on it its got a nice rumble, and theres an amazing throttle response difference.

plus its CARB legal