Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Louder Setup

Old 08-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
spjm1992 is on a distinguished road
spjm1992's Tacoma Gallery
Louder Setup

I have a flowmaster 10 series muffler and a trd cold air intake on my 4.0 v6 tacoma and I am still looking for something louder, does anyone have any ideas maybe headers or straight pipes.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
I'm a TW addict!
BIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to behold

Name: Luke
BIGLuke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spjm1992 View Post
I have a flowmaster 10 series muffler and a trd cold air intake on my 4.0 v6 tacoma and I am still looking for something louder, does anyone have any ideas maybe headers or straight pipes.
At one point I cut off my rear cats, did 2.5" duals coming out on the side of the cab with 3.5" tips. The setup was crazy loud for my liking so i chaged it, but you might like it. I would just try cutting off the rear cats and running duals all the way to the back that might be louder than what you got now.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
if the rear cats are removed does the check engine light come on?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Yes.
No They Don't. The rear O2 sensors are before the Cats.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:35 AM   #6
how much louder would it be if the rear cats are removed, and are the rear cats neccessary or are they just there for emmissions or smog purposes.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
I'm a TW addict!
BIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to behold

Name: Luke
BIGLuke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
how much louder would it be if the rear cats are removed, and are the rear cats neccessary or are they just there for emmissions or smog purposes.
To my understanding the rear cats are for emissions and/or smog purposes, i could be wrong. I'm 100% possitive that the check engine light won't turn on since the sensor is before the cat. As to how much louder it would be after the cats are removed its hard to describe since there is nothing i can really compare it to. When I did mine it was obnoxiously loud in my opinion thats why I got rid of it. For example whenever I was inside the house with all windows closed, and one of my parents started the truck outside which was parked on the street i could hear it roar at start up and hear it idle very clearly. Hope that helps.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
thanks bigluke. does anyone else have any opinions on removing rear cats or any other ideas for more sound?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
thanks bigluke. does anyone else have any opinions on removing rear cats or any other ideas for more sound?
I cant say how it would sound with stock manifold, But they do sound a lot more aggressive removed when you have a set of short tube Headers.

I'm thinking with stock manifold, maybe just a bit louder than stock.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
does doug thorley long tube headers increase the sound any?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Enjoying my addiction

Thumbs up

Quote:
does doug thorley long tube headers increase the sound any?
Saying yes would be an understatement

But YES, Headers will wake up the performance and sound of your exhaust without a doubt
Old 08-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
My truck. Before and After Headers. (Before is already with TRD intake and TRD Exhaust)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQIYQqOGWzY
Old 08-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
those thorley headers sound pretty good and performance gains too, nice! How much do they cost?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #14
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
those thorley headers sound pretty good and performance gains too, nice! How much do they cost?
515. URD was running a deal with O2 sim and gaskets included. O2 sim is so that you don't throw a check engine light. These headers are illegal because you lose your front 2 cats and unless you have a O2 simulator you will throw a check engine light and will not pass emissions. The reason why you don't throw a check engine light when people were talking about cutting off your cats before was because they were talking about cutting off your rear 2 cats, after your headers on your Y-Pipe. That is still illegal technically but I think you will still pass.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
Enjoying my addiction

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by socolax91 View Post
515. URD was running a deal with O2 sim and gaskets included. O2 sim is so that you don't throw a check engine light. These headers are illegal because you lose your front 2 cats and unless you have a O2 simulator you will throw a check engine light and will not pass emissions. The reason why you don't throw a check engine light when people were talking about cutting off your cats before was because they were talking about cutting off your rear 2 cats, after your headers on your Y-Pipe. That is still illegal technically but I think you will still pass.
All true, But I will like to add, as long as you don't face strict emission testing ie... sniffer test, you should pass an inspection with at least 2 of the 4 Cats... Now if the Tech is an ass and knows your specific Veh, they will crawl under your truck and count, LOL...

OBDII scan is a go with O2 sim, or X-1.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #16
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
All true, But I will like to add, as long as you don't face strict emission testing ie... sniffer test, you should pass an inspection with at least 2 of the 4 Cats... Now if the Tech is an ass and knows your specific Veh, they will crawl under your truck and count, LOL...

OBDII scan is a go with O2 sim, or X-1.
Learned from the best rox
Old 08-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #17
Taco Lover
tegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tegdog's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know how losing front or rear or all cats will affect fuel economy? I am really thinking about DT long tube up front then cut out rear cats and a DT or Borla cat back exhaust.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #18
thanks for the info i live in new hampshire so i think i could get away with passing emmissions i could always take it to a friend or something. And if the tech hears the headers he will probably want them for his vehicle.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #19
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdog View Post
Anyone know how losing front or rear or all cats will affect fuel economy? I am really thinking about DT long tube up front then cut out rear cats and a DT or Borla cat back exhaust.
Ask roxspin about borla he has it w/ DTLTH.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #20
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by socolax91 View Post
Learned from the best rox
I try... Thanks to the great folks on TW, XRU, and great guys like Gadget, Mike, Sonny... I would still be that guy asking a gazillion ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdog View Post
Loosing front Cats will affect fuel economy some what. Your truck will run like crap. See, the front O2 sensors are actually A/F sensors. Thats how your ECU controls the fuel curve that is stock from the factory: which runs rich BTW. The rear sensors are true O2 sensors. They will report if your front Cats are doing their job, and will then in turn start affecting your trucks performance due to the ECU trying to make corrections.

This is why you need the O2 Simulator. It will not allow this to happen by tricking the ECU into thinking all is correct. The APR X-1 does this also via a specific MAP that is preprogramed per your setup that is noted upon purchase.

Rear Cats = No affect...

You will however see a decrease in MPG due to the Heavy Right Foot Sydrome: HRFS. The increased exhaust volume and agressive exh note is known to cause this.

Quote:
thanks for the info i live in new hampshire so i think i could get away with passing emissions i could always take it to a friend or something. And if the tech hears the headers he will probably want them for his vehicle.
You will love DTLT Headers...