Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Performance Chips / Programmers 08 Tacoma

Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
phantasm is on a distinguished road

Name: Austin
phantasm's Tacoma Gallery
Performance Chips / Programmers 08 Tacoma

2008 TOYOTA TACOMA SR5 PRERUNNER DBL CAB NO TOW PACKAGE (I ADDED THE HITCH)
1. Anyone know of a good performance chip?
2. Anyone know of a good programmer?

Please help me sort this all out. I know (very little actually) about how they work. I do know in Diesel applications they are proven and in some case by case with certain Manufacturers of gas engines the chips work.

I really need some help in determining what exactly I need to buy I have lost substantial money by the loss of my job and moving into Florida (lower wages here). So I need a real option for lowering my fuel bill in my Tacoma.

I know a combination of upgrades will also be needed IE exhaust , cold air intake etc. But I would like to think alot of the bang for my buck will be with a PERFORMANCE CHIP..

HELP ME PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE........ BE GENTLE IM A NOOB

Old 08-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
No chips.
URD Maf calibrator, or the APEX-1 (I think)
Old 08-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Tape a bag of these to the intake.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
These are the only 2 I recommend:

URD MAF Calibrator

APR X-1
Old 08-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
URD MAF Calibrator

APR X-1
THATS IT! The "APR X-1" dam dislexia......thanks, Roxspin.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
Navy: Lead PO Submarine Reactor Control Dvision
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
Jeez - give the guy a break.

If you are in a money crunch, forget everything and just use a light right foot.
The money you spend chasing a few added miles per gallon will take years to pay off as the return is VERY minimal. Diesals and gas are way differant; chips are a scam and the ones that work are really expensive.

If you are really in a bind park the truck and try public trans. That will cut your ins way down also.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasllc View Post
Jeez - give the guy a break.

If you are in a money crunch, forget everything and just use a light right foot.
The money you spend chasing a few added miles per gallon will take years to pay off as the return is VERY minimal. Diesals and gas are way differant; chips are a scam and the ones that work are really expensive.

If you are really in a bind park the truck and try public trans. That will cut your ins way down also.
X2.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
Slvr_DblTaco is on a distinguished road

Slvr_DblTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Try adding a drop-in K+N air filter, and stay out of the throttle as much as you can.
Sorry, not much more you can do.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr_DblTaco View Post
Try adding a drop-in K+N air filter, and stay out of the throttle as much as you can.
Sorry, not much more you can do.
A K&N isnt gonna help much. A light foot on the throttle is the best advise.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
phantasm is on a distinguished road

Name: Austin
phantasm's Tacoma Gallery
I am very conservative when driving any of my vechicles. I never lead foot it and my mileage is above average. I WANT BETTER

So if I were to spend good money is there a worth while performance chip or not?

URD MAF Calibrator <-------- What is this exactly a programmer?

Honestly K&N filters = entry level changes this much I know its more like a combination of many changes. Then you may see a bigger difference.

Kinda said as well as TOYOTA TACOMA sells in the US and NO-ONE makes a real performance chip worth a crap ??????

Let's assume I have tons of money for a top of line performance chip point me in the right direction.

DO THEY WORK OR NOT?

SOmeone said they will if you PAY enough..
Old 08-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantasm View Post
I am very conservative when driving any of my vechicles. I never lead foot it and my mileage is above average. I WANT BETTER

So if I were to spend good money is there a worth while performance chip or not?

URD MAF Calibrator <-------- What is this exactly a programmer?

Honestly K&N filters = entry level changes this much I know its more like a combination of many changes. Then you may see a bigger difference.

Kinda said as well as TOYOTA TACOMA sells in the US and NO-ONE makes a real performance chip worth a crap ??????

Let's assume I have tons of money for a top of line performance chip point me in the right direction.

DO THEY WORK OR NOT?

SOmeone said they will if you PAY enough..
Like mentioned above, it would take a few years before you saw a financial savings.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
The URD MAF calibrator DOES work. It is more affordable, and works by adjusting the fuel trim.

The APR X-1 is a complete systems controller, and WILL provide you more power, and more control over tuning.

Both of those units are proven.