LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Tips On Doug Thorley Headers for 4cyl

Old 08-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
Tips On Doug Thorley Headers for 4cyl

i am planning on getting a set of DT headers in the future but i don't know what to go with, short or long. I'm looking for more low end HP not so much in the higher RPM range, also i'm looking for the best place to get them? Anyone know who has the best deal?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Check out North West Off Road. They sell a Try Y header that gives GREAT results.

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/triheaders.html
Old 08-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Check out North West Off Road. They sell a Try Y header that gives GREAT results.

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/triheaders.html

I've never heard of these guys before but they seem like high quality stuff, i may have to give them a call sometime next week and see what they run and the other details

thanks for the tip tho chris...
Old 08-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGus View Post
I've never heard of these guys before but they seem like high quality stuff, i may have to give them a call sometime next week and see what they run and the other details

thanks for the tip tho chris...
I ran their Header on my 2.7, and it was a huge improvement. Let me know what they say.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #5

they say the headers "quiet" the truck down, i have a flowmaster and i really like the sound as it is, but you don't think it would affect that would it?

and i'm looking for a low to mid-range RPM gain is that what it did for you? and how much do you think? haha sorry for all the questions and thanks again chris
Old 08-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #6

Quote:
they say the headers "quiet" the truck down, i have a flowmaster and i really like the sound as it is, but you don't think it would affect that would it?

and i'm looking for a low to mid-range RPM gain is that what it did for you? and how much do you think? haha sorry for all the questions and thanks again chris
It will have no affect on your sound from the muffler. IIRC, I got about 14 hp or so from the header. Low and mid gains were very impressive. Top end was slightly better than stock.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #7

wow a 14 hp gain on an engine that's only running around 150 stock would be very noticeable! i'm likin the idea of the North West Off Road headers now haha
Old 08-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
wow a 14 hp gain on an engine that's only running around 150 stock would be very noticeable! i'm likin the idea of the North West Off Road headers now haha
It supprised me too. When I would be in 5th gear, it felt like I was still in 4th. Very well made header, too.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #9

also what year was your 4cyl chris? cuz on their website it says the headers are for the 96-01 tacos, but i don't see why they wouldn't fit the same engine
Old 08-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #10

Quote:
also what year was your 4cyl chris? cuz on their website it says the headers are for the 96-01 tacos, but i don't see why they wouldn't fit the same engine
Mine was a 2000. Call them and see if they will fit. I dont know what the reason they would fit would be.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #11
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Chris has you on the right track. I installed my Doug Thorely long tubes a few days ago. I feel like I lost a wee bit in the low range, but got a nice gain at 1500 and above
Old 08-14-2009, 04:24 AM   #12
Phightin Phils 2008 Champs
Niknaq will become famous soon enoughNiknaq will become famous soon enough

Air Force: 1A3
Name: Nick
Niknaq's Tacoma Gallery
Chris 4x4 or anyone please answer my three questions.

1. How much does it cost to get installed at a average local exhaust shop?
2. How will gas mileage improve or will it not?
3. How does this affect my warranty if it does at all?
4. Should I buy a y-pipe or short or long headers and why?

Thanks
i know its 4
Old 08-14-2009, 06:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niknaq View Post
Chris 4x4 or anyone please answer my three questions.

1. How much does it cost to get installed at a average local exhaust shop?
2. How will gas mileage improve or will it not?
3. How does this affect my warranty if it does at all?
4. Should I buy a y-pipe or short or long headers and why?

Thanks
i know its 4
Not sure of the install cost
I didnt notice an increase in MPG
It shouldnt affect the warranty
No Y pipe needed on the 2.7.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:04 AM   #14

Niknaq's Tacoma Gallery
thanks chris 4x4
Old 08-14-2009, 06:05 AM   #15

Quote:
thanks chris 4x4
Old 08-14-2009, 06:08 AM   #16

Niknaq's Tacoma Gallery
so short or long headers?
Old 08-14-2009, 06:11 AM   #17

Quote:
so short or long headers?
I havent tried different lengths on the 2.7. I have found that the Tri Y desigen gives much more bottom and midrange than the "regular" 4 into 1 headers.

Products Discussed in this Thread