1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold Air Intake

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by silvertaco408, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Dec 30, 2007 at 2:19 PM
    silvertaco408

silvertaco408 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    17 double cab long bed 4x4 trd off road
    Pioneer Avic Z2 navigation with ipod and bluetooth, K&N 77 Series intake, DT Headers, Flowmaster 50 exhaust, All Weather Mats, Fog Light Mod, Debadged, 20% tint all around, custom blue dome, maps, steering wheel, shifter lights, and cluster, Midland CB with PA, XD Series Revolvers wrapped in BFG AT's, black mesh grillcraft grill
    I am interested in getting a cold air intake for my 2007 tacoma. I have narrowed it down to two different ones, the trd one and the K&N 63 series. Which one is better?

2. Dec 30, 2007 at 3:13 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    well, the trd intake will probably be warrantied, where as the k&n wont be. and alot of people have problems with oil from oiled filters getting on the maf sensor and throwing a cel/and or running kinda rough. dont over oil and you should be fine........so i say either will be ok, but you may wanna do a k&n hybrid intake, which uses the k&n setup with a aem dryflow filter.

i myself have the airaid intake on my prerunner, and i like the setup, but i may go with an aem dryflow filter later on.

3. Dec 30, 2007 at 3:21 PM
    AZsurfer13

AZsurfer13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Tacoma
    Total Chaos 3" Coil Over and Control Arms, 15" American Racing Mojave's, 31" BFG A/T, Doug Thorley Ceramic Coated Header, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, 20% Tint. (All work done by SDHQ Offroad, www.sdhqoffroad.com)
    I would go with an AFE stage 2 intake. It is a dry filter and you will get mor HP and Tourque, and also pay a little less. Does not mean its quality is not up to par with K&N. With them you are mearely paying for the name stamp. AFE makes an amazing product line.

4. Jan 1, 2008 at 10:57 PM
    silvertaco408

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer Avic Z2 navigation with ipod and bluetooth, K&N 77 Series intake, DT Headers, Flowmaster 50 exhaust, All Weather Mats, Fog Light Mod, Debadged, 20% tint all around, custom blue dome, maps, steering wheel, shifter lights, and cluster, Midland CB with PA, XD Series Revolvers wrapped in BFG AT's, black mesh grillcraft grill
    Thanks for the answers but i still can't make up my mind. Does anyone have the trd intake or the k&n 63 series?

5. Jan 2, 2008 at 8:09 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i personally am thinking about going w/ the volant...and then adding the scoop attachment to it. but if u go w/ k&n, i'd definately get the 63 series over the 77...and also i'd replace that filter w/ a dry one from afe

6. Jan 2, 2008 at 8:23 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I only have the URD.

7. Jan 2, 2008 at 10:37 PM
    silvertaco408

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    But doesnt the trd one already come with a dry filter. I know that if you just get the filter it comes preoiled but I think the filter that comes with the intake is dry.

8. Jan 3, 2008 at 6:20 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    I would either go with the URD or just get a high flow dry drop in filter. Just my.02

9. Jan 4, 2008 at 5:39 PM
    silvertaco408

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    ok so ive decided to go with the K&N intake but is the 77 series any better than the 63? I really need some input because I am going to order it tonight. Thanks.

10. Jan 4, 2008 at 7:24 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i would think that the 63 is better than the 77 b/c of the fact that the 77 has a metal pipe and will absorb more heat on its way to the intake vs. the plastic piping of the 63.

Products Discussed in

To Top