1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air Locker Question

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by AZ11, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Aug 18, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    AZ11

AZ11 [OP] I'd rather eat dirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    PHX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC/SB TRD Sport
    TRD CAI, TRD Cat back exhaust, OME 885 springs/N140 front struts, Toytec top plate, OME 182 rear struts/Toytec AAL rear, Total Chaos UCA's, Spidertrax wheel spacers, Black Badged, 20% tint in front, 5% in back, Viper two way alarm/remote start, PA15-TOY iPod interface
    I have an 08 PreRunner (2wd) and I'm thinking about getting the ARB air locker. I don't plan on doing any crazy rock crawling or mud bogging but i want to know how the off road capabilities of a 2wd with air locker and a 4wd without rear dif locked compare. I know how awesome the 4X4 is :thumbsup: and how some of you with 4X4 like to think nothing compares, but i really need some honest feed back about this before i drop $800+ on an air locker. Thanks for your help!

2. Aug 18, 2009 at 8:17 PM
    MsTRD

MsTRD hell yes i love my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Samantha
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 White Prerunner TRD Sport
    ARB's are an awesome, proven locker. Number one in my book

3. Aug 19, 2009 at 5:34 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    For a 2WD a locker is a great investment. With enough practice/driving skill you can get just about anywhere that a 4x4 can. I prefer 4x4 so that's all I've ever driven, but I've seen guys do great work with a 2WD.

4. Aug 19, 2009 at 5:46 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What's there to *question*??

Are you considering trading in your truck for a 4WD?

If no....then definately get the ARB and have fun with it. Definately get professional installation and don't skimp on the quality of the other parts (air source & installation).

If yes..... then I would just get a 4WD. Why? Because honestly? If you're thinking about putting an ARB in your 2WD truck, then you're thinking about tackling the trails. Eventually, you're gonna be kicking yourself to get a 4WD anyway and tackle even more terrain. It's a disease man...I've been there. You live in Arizona and from what I've seen - there's shitloads of trails and stuff out there.
    Go 4 the 4WD!! You won't regret it!!

5. Aug 19, 2009 at 5:49 AM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    A good driver in a 2WD with a locker can go anywhere an idiot with 4WD can go.

Remember 2 x 0 = 0 = 4 x 0

6. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    AZ11

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    PHX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD CAI, TRD Cat back exhaust, OME 885 springs/N140 front struts, Toytec top plate, OME 182 rear struts/Toytec AAL rear, Total Chaos UCA's, Spidertrax wheel spacers, Black Badged, 20% tint in front, 5% in back, Viper two way alarm/remote start, PA15-TOY iPod interface
    Thanks for the replys fellas! When it comes time to buy a new Tacoma, I am going 4x4. I just fell in love with this one at the dealership and I got a serious deal on it. All I've ever owned were 2wd tacos and they've gotten through some crazy stuff for me so feel confident. I'll get the ARB after the OME lift!

7. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:46 PM
    AZ11

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    PHX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    And janster...thanks to you too sista!

8. Aug 20, 2009 at 4:46 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    :cheers::proposetoast:

Good strategy!!