Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

What tools do you use?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
Ty's Taco [OP] Ty's Taco is offline
Senior Member
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of
 
Ty's Taco's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Mar 2009, #15107
Location: Sweet home Alabama
Age: 42
Gender: Dude
Posts: 247
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
What tools do you use?

Let me start this thread by saying that I hate my local dealership. Two weeks ago I went in for and oil change and decided since they had it on the rack that I would go ahead and let them rotate the tires as well. Today I was going to paint my rear rotors because they are rusting and look bad not to mention there is rust all over the lugs. I started to take of the lugs and have a small air gun on 120 psi and only got 2 of the 6 lugs off. When I went to get the other 4 off with a breaker bar the splind key broke on the first one and rounded off my lug. Also I noticed one of my lugs up front on the passenger side was missing so from now own I'm the only one working on this machine and I wanted to ask.

1. What is the best floor jack for working on a 3" lift since my floor jack is almost to short for my lift.
2. What are the best torque wrenches for the job since that seams to be the best way to do this job and not over tighten them like this gorilla with the pneumatic gun.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,863
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer a Craftsman torque wrench, and I use a 3 ton floor jack that has 21" lift.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
I'd rather be diving than working..
UpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
UpstateTacoma's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2009, #18385
Location: Greenville SC
Gender: Male
Posts: 276
UpstateTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty's Taco View Post
Let me start this thread by saying that I hate my local dealership. Two weeks ago I went in for and oil change and decided since they had it on the rack that I would go ahead and let them rotate the tires as well. Today I was going to paint my rear rotors because they are rusting and look bad not to mention there is rust all over the lugs. I started to take of the lugs and have a small air gun on 120 psi and only got 2 of the 6 lugs off. When I went to get the other 4 off with a breaker bar the splind key broke on the first one and rounded off my lug. Also I noticed one of my lugs up front on the passenger side was missing so from now own I'm the only one working on this machine and I wanted to ask.

1. What is the best floor jack for working on a 3" lift since my floor jack is almost to short for my lift.
2. What are the best torque wrenches for the job since that seams to be the best way to do this job and not over tighten them like this gorilla with the pneumatic gun.
Sounds like they didnt use a torque stick with their guns. I have seen fellow mechanics tighten down without a torque stick and it over tighten the lugs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Ty's Taco [OP] Ty's Taco is offline
Senior Member
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of
 
Ty's Taco's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Mar 2009, #15107
Location: Sweet home Alabama
Age: 42
Gender: Dude
Posts: 247
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I prefer a Craftsman torque wrench, and I use a 3 ton floor jack that has 21" lift.
Thanks, I knew chris would have the answer. Also i've heard that craftsman wasn't as good reciently as the have been in the past, any truth to that?

Also what amount of torque is needed?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,863
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty's Taco View Post
Thanks, I knew chris would have the answer. Also i've heard that craftsman wasn't as good reciently as the have been in the past, any truth to that?

Also what amount of torque is needed?
I dont know. They seem to work well for me. Lug torque is 85 lb- ft.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
BakoTruck's Avatar
Name: Herbie Hancock
Joined: May 2009, #16674
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,853
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty's Taco View Post
Thanks, I knew chris would have the answer. Also i've heard that craftsman wasn't as good reciently as the have been in the past, any truth to that?

Also what amount of torque is needed?
I haven't heard anything on the Craftsmen doing that but as long as you get it as close to the recommended torque rating you should be fine. If it is off a few pounds of torque it's not a big deal, just as long as you don't over torque it. I think the recommended rating out of the manual was 110 foot pounds for the 6 lug, and the 5 lug could be different. Just double check the back of the manual to make sure I'm right on the torque rating and make sure you crisscross the pattern like a star. Also just make sure you don't go too low or too high, some guys go down to 80 foot pounds too. Just stay within 80-110 foot pounds.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Ty's Taco [OP] Ty's Taco is offline
Senior Member
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of
 
Ty's Taco's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Mar 2009, #15107
Location: Sweet home Alabama
Age: 42
Gender: Dude
Posts: 247
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, looks like my next mod is to update my gear. I'm a crasftsman guy with the few I have and the tool thing is like every other debate. You have people with brand loyalty that put down other brands so I'm not worried about my craftsman tools failing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:39 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Janster's Avatar
Name: Jandy
Joined: Mar 2007, #1138
Location: Lancaster, PA
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,862
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a Harbor Freight near you, get a set of their 12ton jackstands.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34924
Well worth the money!! We have two sets.

If you're looking for a hydraulic jack - I'd stick with a good name brand like Craftsman. Our craftsman has been a workhorse for 10 years.
Don't buy a Harbor Freight hydraulic jack. We bought a mini sized one and it failed.

Torque wrenches - can't beat Craftsman. I'd start off with the 1/2". We actually have both 3/8 & 1/2". Always remember to put them back to ZERO when you're finished.

You may also want to think about a Torque Stick for torquing lugnuts. Use this with your impact gun and you can get the torque close to where you need to be. I always go back with a regular torque wrench to check them all. A torque stick comes in various lb ratings. We have a 100lb (grey) one. Love it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
Ty's Taco [OP] Ty's Taco is offline
Senior Member
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of
 
Ty's Taco's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Mar 2009, #15107
Location: Sweet home Alabama
Age: 42
Gender: Dude
Posts: 247
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you have a Harbor Freight near you, get a set of their 12ton jackstands.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34924
Well worth the money!! We have two sets.

If you're looking for a hydraulic jack - I'd stick with a good name brand like Craftsman. Our craftsman has been a workhorse for 10 years.
Don't buy a Harbor Freight hydraulic jack. We bought a mini sized one and it failed.

Torque wrenches - can't beat Craftsman. I'd start off with the 1/2". We actually have both 3/8 & 1/2". Always remember to put them back to ZERO when you're finished.

You may also want to think about a Torque Stick for torquing lugnuts. Use this with your impact gun and you can get the torque close to where you need to be. I always go back with a regular torque wrench to check them all. A torque stick comes in various lb ratings. We have a 100lb (grey) one. Love it

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I have a cousin that lives in Memphis that owns his own snap on tools truck but their prices even with a price break are outrageous. I don't mind paying for quality but what I need is something that will last me a long time and is for the weekend warrior type.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
Senior Member
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
Joined: Dec 2008, #11412
Location: San Antonio, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,201
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend a Torin Big Red pro series jack if you plan on keeping it for any period of time. The jack is rebuild-able, and highly reliable. I have had one for years and it just keeps on going.

As for a torque wrench, Craftsman has some reasonably priced, quality torque wrenches that will suffice for what you are doing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
Senior Member
L8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant future
 
L8Rmike's Avatar
Air Force: Retired
Joined: Mar 2008, #5162
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Gender: Dude
Posts: 251
L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
I use a craftman 3-ton floor jack. I got it a number of years ago w/2 jackstands. The jackstand are to small for the tacoma, but I have 4 larger one form harbor freight. I recently got a red Tourqe Stick, it's set for 90 foot pounds. I can live with the 5 extra pounds of tourque. I can't wait to use it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
Ty's Taco [OP] Ty's Taco is offline
Senior Member
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of
 
Ty's Taco's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Mar 2009, #15107
Location: Sweet home Alabama
Age: 42
Gender: Dude
Posts: 247
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would recommend a Torin Big Red pro series jack
I've heard good things about them. The craftsman 3 ton I've read up on it and it has some possible problems with it lasting a long time and the craftsman 4 ton is junk. The reviews on the craftsman 4 ton is that after about a year the thing leaks oil bad and only has a 1 yr warranty. Check it out:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0P#reviewsWrap
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
Ty's Taco [OP] Ty's Taco is offline
Senior Member
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of
 
Ty's Taco's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Mar 2009, #15107
Location: Sweet home Alabama
Age: 42
Gender: Dude
Posts: 247
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The jackstand are to small for the tacoma, but I have 4 larger one form harbor freight.
Looks like I'm going to be going to harbor freight next pay check. You are the second person that liked the harbor freight stands so that's good enough for me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:30 AM   #15
Member
ccs368 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Nov 2008, #10931
Location: MA
Gender: Male
Posts: 46
ccs368's Tacoma Gallery
I can comment on the Craftsman floor jack that I have. It's a 3 ton jack similar to #50139 on their website. There's a very good view of the release mechanism via geared wheel. For trucks, I believe you should be looking at 3 ton and higher as my other 2 ton cheapie jack is very scary and feels like it will break free any moment even though I always use jack stands in conjunction. Here's the negative feedback in that the #50139 release valve design is piss poor and when under load, very awkward to release. I have to carefully nudge the wheel slowly with a drift in order to drop the vehicle at a safe speed. Even though it's a nuisance, the floor jack does work OK but please compare the various Craftsman valve designs when making a decision.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #16
Ty's Taco [OP] Ty's Taco is offline
Senior Member
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of
 
Ty's Taco's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Mar 2009, #15107
Location: Sweet home Alabama
Age: 42
Gender: Dude
Posts: 247
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I can comment on the Craftsman floor jack that I have. It's a 3 ton jack similar to #50139 on their website. There's a very good view of the release mechanism via geared wheel. For trucks, I believe you should be looking at 3 ton and higher as my other 2 ton cheapie jack is very scary and feels like it will break free any moment even though I always use jack stands in conjunction. Here's the negative feedback in that the #50139 release valve design is piss poor and when under load, very awkward to release. I have to carefully nudge the wheel slowly with a drift in order to drop the vehicle at a safe speed. Even though it's a nuisance, the floor jack does work OK but please compare the various Craftsman valve designs when making a decision.
That's what I was reading about them. I still don't know what would be the best floor jack because there is always one review that states that each model has flaws.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #17
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Janster's Avatar
Name: Jandy
Joined: Mar 2007, #1138
Location: Lancaster, PA
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,862
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccs368 View Post
. Here's the negative feedback in that the #50139 release valve design is piss poor and when under load, very awkward to release.

It is hard to release....and sometimes goes down too fast - but I don't consider this an issue.

My husband doesn't have any problems - as he has more arm strength than I do. I'll use a set of channel locks and grab the handle with it and that gives me the 'torque' I need to loosen the handle slowly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #18
Senior Member
L8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant future
 
L8Rmike's Avatar
Air Force: Retired
Joined: Mar 2008, #5162
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Gender: Dude
Posts: 251
L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...criptionAnchor

Above is the set I bought back in 1998, but it was sold under the craftsman name back then. Other than the decal it looks exactly like the one I have and I have no complaints about the jack. The Harbor Feight jack stands I use are 6-ton and a very ugly orange color. Hope this helps and good luck dude.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #19
Ty's Taco [OP] Ty's Taco is offline
Senior Member
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of
 
Ty's Taco's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Mar 2009, #15107
Location: Sweet home Alabama
Age: 42
Gender: Dude
Posts: 247
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Above is the set I bought back in 1998, but it was sold under the craftsman name back then. Other than the decal it looks exactly like the one I have and I have no complaints about the jack. The Harbor Feight jack stands I use are 6-ton and a very ugly orange color. Hope this helps and good luck dude.
I appreciate everybody's help on this one. When you google floor jack it only comes up with the name brands that are out of my league or cheaper ones with bad reviews so that is why I wanted to see what everyone used. Thanks guys and gals!!!
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Must Have Tools teamfast Garage / Workshop 147 04-16-2014 05:29 PM
Club Tools........ surfsupl Off-Topic Discussion 19 05-28-2009 06:07 PM
Tools spaghettiedy Garage / Workshop 32 05-04-2009 08:31 AM
Where are the tools? Toyhauler 2nd Gen. Tacomas 12 08-07-2008 12:05 PM
tools help? tacomaman96 1st Gen. Tacomas 3 03-15-2008 10:04 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.