Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Humidity = Poor performance?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Humidity = Poor performance?

What does everyone think about humidity effecting performance? It has been REAL thick here in RI these past few days and the truck seems sluggish. There have been high ozone days for the past week and it seems like the truck is a bit piggish during those days?
Any thoughts on whether the humid air is effecting my performance? Or am I just imagining things?
Old 08-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
tammikm has a spectacular aura abouttammikm has a spectacular aura about

tammikm's Tacoma Gallery
mine is the same, seems very slugish the last few weeks, and its been very hot and humid here as well, 34 - 36 C with humidex, hope thats all it is....
Old 08-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure it is. Especially if you are experiencing the same thing. Less O2 in the air means less O2 going into the engine I would think. And I never noticed it before the real humid stuff came in. We have been around 90-92 with some seriously high dewpoints. Around 70 or so I think.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb11701 View Post
What does everyone think about humidity effecting performance? It has been REAL thick here in RI these past few days and the truck seems sluggish. There have been high ozone days for the past week and it seems like the truck is a bit piggish during those days?
Any thoughts on whether the humid air is effecting my performance? Or am I just imagining things?
If it is really that kinda humid up there then-yes- it could be affecting your performance.

As humidity increases, the density of the oxygen in a given volume of air decreases because the water (humidity) takes up space. This in turn means you have less combustibles in a given air charge for your engine.

Hotter air also decreases performance because in a given volume of air the molecules are farther apart, also resulting in less to burn in a given volume.

I loved the winter in New England when I had my supercharged Dakota- The butt dyno went WILD..and I real dyno'd about 2-4 hp higher while tuning. Jet engines are FAR more sensitive to these phenomena.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Sorry I just geeked out like that...I was just studying some review stuff about this topic this past week....
No need to apologize. You are absolutely correct. Additional humidity will decrease the density of the air charge going into the combustion chamber. It can have as noticeable affect on performance as altitude or temperature.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
could effect performace enough to drop 1 or 2 mpg?
maybe the humidity is whats killing mine
past two weeks have been at least 32 up to 41*C with humidity
Old 08-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttylerr View Post
could effect performace enough to drop 1 or 2 mpg?
maybe the humidity is whats killing mine
past two weeks have been at least 32 up to 41*C with humidity
Yes.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
humidity here is terrible... good to know
Old 08-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
humidity here is terrible... good to know
Tell me about it...
Old 08-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pretty sure it is. Especially if you are experiencing the same thing. Less O2 in the air means less O2 going into the engine I would think. And I never noticed it before the real humid stuff came in. We have been around 90-92 with some seriously high dewpoints. Around 70 or so I think.

I get what you're saying, and you're right in essence, but humid conditions do not mean "less O2 in the air". It just means less oxygen gas in a given volume of atmospheric gas.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:39 AM   #12
Oh yeah!
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Yes.

You think it would make the truck seem sluggish? Truck just feels a little piggish when I srtep on the gas. Humidty is so bad up here this past
week, I could go outside and with 10mins my shirt is soaked.

Would the humid air make the engine have to work harder in accelerating?
Old 08-23-2009, 06:17 AM   #13
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
You think it would make the truck seem sluggish? Truck just feels a little piggish when I srtep on the gas. Humidty is so bad up here this past
week, I could go outside and with 10mins my shirt is soaked.

Would the humid air make the engine have to work harder in accelerating?
Yes- The humidity means that the charge air for the engine isn't as good...so the engine won't respond as fast as does in drier air.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #14
Oh yeah!
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
I hear ya. I went out this AM for a few things around 9 or so. Truck was peppy as usual, and it just so happens to have been a lot less humid this morning than it had all week by a good amount. Give it a few hours and I'll have to go out and cut it with my knife.