Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Gas Mpg

Old 12-29-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
Whitesux420 is on a distinguished road
Whitesux420's Tacoma Gallery
Gas Mpg

I have a brand new 2006 trd sport. I was wonder what if anything would be the best or most economical investment to increase my mpg. I drive 85-90 miles a day round trip and summer gas prices are coming soon. The truck only has 600 miles on it so far and it is barely broken in.

Will a stock K&N filter help anymore.

I heard a cold air intake helps, but there are so many to choose from.

Any advice will help.

Thanks

2006 TRD SPORT
Old 12-29-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
You have a cover on it yet? Tonneau covers help the mileage by reducing the drag from the bed...
Old 12-29-2006, 04:56 PM   #3
ImInLoveWithMyTruck has a spectacular aura aboutImInLoveWithMyTruck has a spectacular aura about
ImInLoveWithMyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Something I overlooked:
A increase in HP is a decrease in MPG.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
Whitesux420 is on a distinguished road
Whitesux420's Tacoma Gallery
BED Cover

I've seen an episode of mythbusters where it was proven that putting gate down or using net in bed had not differance in mpg.

I am curious if anyone out there has experienced an increase by adding one of these.

I have a friend w/ a 2003 f-250 turbo diseal w/ chip,cold air intake and exhaust who gets the same mpg as me.

Keep me posted if anything comes up.

Also has anyone installed a turbo yet in a 2nd generation tacoma? I am curious to know about the performance increase.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
My first truck was an 85 F150 that got 11MPG so I decided to try running without a tail gate for a while. My gas mileage dropped to 7MPG...needless to say the gate was put back on.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #6
keith1 is on a distinguished road
Army:
keith1's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to keith1 Send a message via AIM to keith1
An Airaid Cold Air Intake will help. Make sure you drive with the tailgate up. With it up the gate creates a bubble that holds air and forces more air over the truck increasing mpg.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion.

Tonneau covers do very little for gas milage, I haven't noticed a signifigant improvment in mine since I got the ARE LSII (well it does keep things in the bed dry).

Tailgate down, No help whatsoever (drove from Portsmouth, VA to Indianapolis, IN and back with tailgate down) no change in gas milage.

Air intakes, No personal experience with one yet but if you do get one I suggest going with the TRD one or Volant and from what I've read from other people experience stay away from K&N intakes and filters. They deny it but there have been quite a few people that have lost MAF sensors due to the oiling of the filters and one person lost an engine due to poor filtration.

If you do get an intake consider getting an exhaust, doesn't help when you can inhale easier but can't exhale easier.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #8
topdec will become famous soon enoughtopdec will become famous soon enough
topdec's Tacoma Gallery
Coming from riding motorcycles, I used to NOT glide/idle so much when slowing down. Rather, I'm used to slowly letting off the throttle, then right away, but slowly and gradually, applying the brakes.

Recently, I tried gliding/idling after letting off the throttle, applying the brakes much later. It took a little patience because I'm used to pressing on either the gas/brake pedal. But it works for me. I went from 16.5 mpg to 18 mpg, driving my V6 DC-LB in the city. I go thru 19 stoplights on my way to work, averaging 45 mph.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #9
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
...Air intakes, No personal experience with one yet but if you do get one I suggest going with the TRD one or Volant and from what I've read from other people experience stay away from K&N intakes and filters. They deny it but there have been quite a few people that have lost MAF sensors due to the oiling of the filters and one person lost an engine due to poor filtration.

I am looking into intakes for the 2.7L. Do you have a good website for getting deals on either TRD or Volant (I won't do a K&N because of an experience with a Turbo Diesel)?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
yotaman is on a distinguished road
yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
Only thing you can do is pretend there is a egg under the gas pedal and remove all unneccessary weight out of the bed. or you can get a small used car that gets 40mpg and drive that.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:32 PM   #11
Steve762us is on a distinguished road
Steve762us's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesux420 View Post

2006 TRD SPORT
Your OEM intake is a CAI, unlike the cone filters pulling underhood air.

The two biggest things that will affect your mileage are how you drive (lead foot or easy going/anticipate stops, etc...your choice) and tire pressure. Air `em up within 10% of sidewall max pressure; you might not like the ride, but you'll get more MPG.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:53 PM   #12
billbob is on a distinguished road
billbob's Tacoma Gallery
hey just remember you can buy a lot of gas for the money you'd spend on parts trying to increase fuel economy. just make sure your estimated fuel savings will cover the cost in parts in the end...unless you're just doing it for the environment.

it is said that headers offer the biggest fuel savings (and power gains) but they are pricy. a less restrictive exhaust also helps. i've read that newer toyotas (2002 and up, i think), already have quality mandrel-bent stainless exhaust tubing and all that is helpful is to upgrade to a less restrictive muffler which can be had for pretty cheap.

my bed cap increased fuel economy by .01 mpg, not worth it except it too keeps the tools dry. anyone know if smaller, unaggressive tires would lower the vehicle enough to make a differance? i know the overall air displacement as the truck moves is a major factor in fuel economy. good luck! i'll let you know what i find out, too
Old 05-22-2007, 09:31 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by t(ack)oma View Post
anyone know if smaller, unaggressive tires would lower the vehicle enough to make a differance? i know the overall air displacement as the truck moves is a major factor in fuel economy. good luck! i'll let you know what i find out, too

The drag effect on the truck is substantial. I've been driving a Subaru WRX--not a particularly streamlined AWD car--for four years, and I noticed it immediately in my 07 2WD Prerunner. I can coast down an exit ramp and strongly decel just from air resistance, even in neutral...compared to the WRX, where I'm downshifting and braking, and dealing the AWD drivetrain drag, too.

Lighter tire/wheel combos will help mileage and acceleration. OTOH, if you do a lot of interstate speed driving, larger diameter tires can give sort of an overdrive effect, lowering your RPMs at speed...how much either would help I can't say, but I'd bet the lighter wheel/tire set up would be the more effective.

On the aerodynamic angle...can bug deflectors improve the aerodynamicity (is that a word? ) of the vehicle? They get the air moving up over the windshield...so they're simulating (as far as the airflow is concerned) a more angular, wedge-shaped vehicle, as opposed to a "box (cab) on top of a box (hood/engine compartment)".
Old 06-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
robert is on a distinguished road
robert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesux420 View Post
I have a brand new 2006 trd sport. I was wonder what if anything would be the best or most economical investment to increase my mpg. I drive 85-90 miles a day round trip and summer gas prices are coming soon. The truck only has 600 miles on it so far and it is barely broken in.

Will a stock K&N filter help anymore.

Any advice will help.

Thanks

2006 TRD SPORT
I watched muthbusters and they showed that if you take you tail gate off IT WILL increase your MPG. They also showed that bed covers, tail gate down. does not help
Old 06-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #15
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
yeah..they drove identical trucks w/ same weight in them and same gas and the truck w/ the tailgate up went 30 miles further. something about the tailgate up creates an air pocket in the bed and it forces the air coming off the cab to blow over the tailgate. the tailgate down created drag from the air coming over the cab hitting down on the tailgate. dunno how true, but its what i saw the other night on a rerun
Old 06-16-2007, 01:52 AM   #16
robert is on a distinguished road
robert's Tacoma Gallery
<PG

yea that show is pretty good. sometimes they are pretty stupid for some of the things they do. Does anyone have any information on the "Tornado" air intake devise????? I need help on MPG. and does anyone have any idea on what the MPG should be on a 07 4.0 tacoma 4+4 ? ? ?
Old 06-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #17
The "Tornado" would fall into your category of pretty stupid things to do.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #18
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
from my personal experience with trying to increase my mpg in the past couple months this is what worked for me

got a K&N CAI and it boosted mpg by a little more than 1 and had noticeable throttle response increase...
Flowmaster exhaust did nothing, but sounds great....

always made sure tires were inflated properly and a little high which increased my mileage by about .5 mpg but ride is rougher

BIGGEST HELP-use premium gas. Started doing this and my mpg went up about 2, yes you are spending more initially but when you figure it out your paying the same price per mile, BUT you get more miles with the premium rather than regular. Plus you get more throttle response and your truck will run better longer

I get about 20mpg average city, and 24-25 highway and i have 31 inch tires and my truck is leveled
Old 08-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #19
MRCapps is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: M.R. Capps
MRCapps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGus View Post
from my personal experience with trying to increase my mpg in the past couple months this is what worked for me

got a K&N CAI and it boosted mpg by a little more than 1 and had noticeable throttle response increase...
Flowmaster exhaust did nothing, but sounds great....

always made sure tires were inflated properly and a little high which increased my mileage by about .5 mpg but ride is rougher

BIGGEST HELP-use premium gas. Started doing this and my mpg went up about 2, yes you are spending more initially but when you figure it out your paying the same price per mile, BUT you get more miles with the premium rather than regular. Plus you get more throttle response and your truck will run better longer

I get about 20mpg average city, and 24-25 highway and i have 31 inch tires and my truck is leveled
What do you mean leveled? That is really good gas mileage!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCapps View Post
That is really good gas mileage!
He's showing a 2004 four cylinder model in his info.