Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

AFE Pro Dry Question (2nd Filter)

Old 08-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

IrishPilot's Tacoma Gallery
AFE Pro Dry Question (2nd Filter)

Ive got an AFE Pro Dry showing up today that Im going to put in based on several recommendations from the forum, and I keep reading about guys pulling the "second" filter.

Should this be done?
Is it "safe"?
What would be the potential benefits?
What are the potential risks?

Apologies for my lack of knowledge...I could explain the mechanical technicalities of my aircraft at work to every minute detail, yet I have no idea how to even install a new air filter on my new truck lol. Learning as I go...
Old 08-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Its safe, the only reason it is there for Cali regs to capture any intake gas emissions from what I can gather.

It is a restriction to the air flow, so removing it allows the truck to breath better with stock set up. Air filter is a breeze to change, and taking out the secondary isn't too hard. Mine was gone the first week I owned the truck. I went from a AFE drop in to a AFE intake, back to Stock filter and my mpg have been the best with the AFE drop in or stock filter.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
Its safe, the only reason it is there for Cali regs to capture any intake gas emissions from what I can gather.

It is a restriction to the air flow, so removing it allows the truck to breath better with stock set up. Air filter is a breeze to change, and taking out the secondary isn't too hard. Mine was gone the first week I owned the truck. I went from a AFE drop in to a AFE intake, back to Stock filter and my mpg have been the best with the AFE drop in or stock filter.
Thanks bud. So would you suggest removing the second one?
Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #4

EDIT: For those sifting through this thread, I also just found this one that is helping...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...r-removal.html
Old 08-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
when i installed my cai I noticed that there was mud sucked through my primary filter, this made me think twice about removing the secondary, seems to be there for a reason. But then again I now have neither the primary or the secondary.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPilot View Post
EDIT: For those sifting through this thread, I also just found this one that is helping...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...r-removal.html

Because you have a V6, I suggest not removing the 2ndary air filter. The only trucks, from what I have read in different threads, the 4 bangers are the ones that benefit from this MOD. If you want to remove it, I suggest taking the filter off carefully. If you do remove it and don't notice a performance you can put the filter back in place.

BTW, I had my aFe Pro Dry Filter for over and year. It is a great filter!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 4.0L and an AFE prodry. I don't have a 2nd filter. I removed that over a year ago. Haven't noticed any problems, but then again....I never ran the AFE with it still in there so I don't know what to compare it to.

I haven't seen any benefits to either other than very slightly quicker throttle response.

I like being able to clean the filters.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #8

Threw it in today. It seems like the truck has more pep to it now. Cant say it sounds different...and Ill be testing for any MPG change. Definitely enjoy the pep though.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpilot View Post
threw it in today. It seems like the truck has more pep to it now. Cant say it sounds different...and ill be testing for any mpg change. Definitely enjoy the pep though.
Sweet, update us after a couple tanks of gas.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
No better friend,No worse enemy...
InfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant future
Marines: iKill
Name: G
InfidelTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I exchanged my K&N for AFE pro dry s and love it. When i installed it, i also deleted the secondary filter. I also did the elbow mod several months back. She idles alot better, better response to throttle and is a beast in high rpms. In fact, she sounds so good that i cant even tell you about MPG bc of the way ive been driving. So if u want to save gas, DONT DO IT!! You'll love it too much to care.

Seriously though, it is worth it.

G
Old 08-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #11
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the afe pro dry in for about 30k miles--Didn't remove secondary and only noticed better throttle response. No change in mpg. Tossed my kn filter for fear of MAF issues.