Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

muffler laws

Old 01-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
muffler laws

as usual, rules in this area are very unclear...i am trying to find out what the laws are in Virginia about after market mufflers. mainly regarding how loud they can be before they are illegal. any information would be a great help. also, has anyone ever had any problems with the police because of a muffler being too loud (in any state)?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
as usual, rules in this area are very unclear...i am trying to find out what the laws are in Virginia about after market mufflers. mainly regarding how loud they can be before they are illegal. any information would be a great help. also, has anyone ever had any problems with the police because of a muffler being too loud (in any state)?

i know laws are laws, but i think, with a flowmaster 40 you will be ok. i maybe could see a problem if you had it straight piped and loud as hell, but with just a muffler, im pretty sure you'd be ok. good idea to check first though.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Cburt is on a distinguished road
Cburt's Tacoma Gallery
The first mod I want to do is either a flowmaster or Toyota's high performance exhaust.
Haven't priced either one, but Tacomaman06 how does your Flowmasters sound and did you notice any performance improvement over stock?
Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
i just bought the flowmaster original 40, so i haven't put it on yet. i would advise not going for the toyota one because i have heard that it is not technically a performance muffler...it is a "sport muffler" meaning that it does not improve performance, but only increases the sound. as for the flowmaster, i just bought mine for $54. go onto ebay, and oyu can get them new, from "ebay stores". they are a lot cheaper there...if you buy from a muffler shop of other online store you can spend from $80-$120.

as for the sound, go into tacomaman06's profile (the guy who posted right before you), he has a fantastic sound-clip of a flowmaster 40 on his v6.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cburt View Post
The first mod I want to do is either a flowmaster or Toyota's high performance exhaust.
Haven't priced either one, but Tacomaman06 how does your Flowmasters sound and did you notice any performance improvement over stock?
hey cburt, i love my flowmaster. save your self some $ and just get a shop to weld in whatever muffler you want(flowmaster) and add a shiny tip to it. should cost you around $130......way cheaper than toyota's trd exhaust. bout the only difference is the trd exhasut is stainless, but i think my flowmaster sounds better, just my opinion though. as far as performance, i can tell it does breathe better, but i "get into the throttle" more now because of the sound, i dont really pay attention to mileage. here is a soundclip of my 40series.....................