1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intake and Exhaust upgrade

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by SpecialED, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sep 8, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    SpecialED

SpecialED [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Southtern MD (Chuck County)
    Vehicle:
    06' Tacoma Double Cab
    N/A
    Has anyone here upgradedthe intake, and exhaust, to include headers and exhaust. When I had my F250, the HP increase in just that upgrade was out of this world. I'm just wondering if if would make a huge difference on the 6 cyl 4.0 engine. If it gives me 30-40HP I might go for it?

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!:D

2. Sep 8, 2009 at 4:26 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    If you do intake, headers, catback, and then tune the truck for the mods, you can see up towards 30-40hp.

I've seen an N/A truck dyno almost 300lbs of torque at the wheels (about 70rwtq gain, also had over 50rwhp gain), with intake, headers, exhaust and the X-1 (ECU controller). I have seen trucks with intake, headers and exhaust dyno 30hp over stock as well (untuned).

The key to getting the most out of your mods is to tune to them.

3. Jun 22, 2016 at 11:03 AM
    Xzyk

Xzyk (bochok)

Member:
    First Name:
    Tiano
    Palm Springs, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma AC 4x4 M/T 2.7L
    Access LE, Pop&Lock, Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX
    Hmmm... Now I'm confused. I was told that the Tacoma's ECM cannot be reprogrammed so there's nothing else to do but slap in the replacement exhaust. So which is it?

4. Jun 22, 2016 at 1:22 PM
    southerntacolover

southerntacolover New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2012 White Tacoma DC
    I am wondering the same thing. How and where to get a tune. But more importantly, do these mods truly void my warranty?

5. Jun 22, 2016 at 10:00 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Adding an intake and just a cat back exhaust might net you 10-20hp tops if you dont tune it. Doing full headers/Y pipe/Exhaust and an intake and getting a tuner can net you quite alot. You are correct that the Toyota ecu is encrypted and can't be "hacked" or "chipped" but there are several different tuners available that basically plug in or get spliced in to the ECU wiring that take the signal going to and from the ECU and feed it 'false' signals so it will do what you want it to

URDUSA.com is your friend here

6. Jun 22, 2016 at 11:25 PM
    Xzyk

Xzyk (bochok)

Member:
    First Name:
    Tiano
    Palm Springs, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma AC 4x4 M/T 2.7L
    Access LE, Pop&Lock, Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX
    So you're saying there is no harm in slapping on an exhaust without doing any tuning after installation? So if I want beastly sound, that's all I'd get and money is all I'll be losing?

7. Jun 23, 2016 at 6:52 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Prertty much, and do your homework, some exhausts will actually cause you to lose a little HP for a 'beastly sound'

8. Jun 23, 2016 at 6:58 AM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre Runner supercharged 4cyl
    TRD supercharger , Doug Thorley header , K&N CAI 265/75-16 Toyo open country mud terrain , 15x8 Method Racing wheels , Rancho 3" lift , 4.88 gears , Detroit Locker
    My 02 double cab has a 4 cylinder with some go fast goodies on it including a TRD Supercharger , K&N CAI , Gibson cat back and a Doug Thorley Tri Y shortie header

9. Jun 23, 2016 at 8:22 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Good for you?

Products Discussed in

To Top