Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

flowmaster 40 success

Old 01-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
flowmaster 40 success

i have been searching for about a month for what kind of muffler to put on my 07 V6. if you look at any recent threads about mufflers, chances are that they were mine, asking some question. just wanted to tell anyone interested in putting a new muffler on their truck, that the flowmaster original 40 is AMAZING!!! i have never done any exhaust work by myself before this, but i can say it was one of the easiest things i have ever done....and not to mention that my truck now sounds meaner than every v8 i pass. just wanted to say that i highly recommend the 40 series. and anything that tacomaman06 says...listen, he really knows what he's talking about. thanks for the help.

p.s. anyone who is worried about the muffler being too loud and obnoxious inside the cab...i have found myself turning off the stereo just so i can listen to the engine. and my engine is consistently running at about 500 RPMs lower than stock which is great for mileage.

last thing...i can definitely feel a bit of hp increase and better throttle response. does anyone have a general idea of how much extra hp you get out of a muffler like this?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
hey colin....thanks for the kind words!!!

on a serious note, im glad you like the sound and small performance increase you found for ride. i've always liked the flowmaster sound, and the original 40, imo, is one of the sweetest sounding mufflers i have ever heard.

as far a hp gains, that will be very minimal, although "butt dyno" will seem like alot more..........and i can guarantee that you getting on the throttle with joy now just to hear it growl will lessen your mileage just a bit, not too bad though!!

as always.....really just glad that i could help!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

haha, I'm trying to stay off the gas as much as i can. not only for the sake of saving gas...but if the speedway blue wasn't enough to get the police's attention, now they can hear me coming too.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
haha, I'm trying to stay off the gas as much as i can. not only for the sake of saving gas...but if the speedway blue wasn't enough to get the police's attention, now they can hear me coming too.

hahaha.......yeah, and if you are anything like me, you may try and stay outta the throttle, but it wont last long, especially when the 40 starts breaking in and getting deeper, then you'll really be getting in it!!!

officer-"sir, do you know why i stopped you??"

colin-"was i speeding?? im sorry, i got carried away listening to the sound my flowmaster makes!!!"
Old 01-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
dabighi has a little shameless behaviour in the past
dabighi's Tacoma Gallery
first day i threw that exhaust on i got a speeding ticket. love that sound
Old 01-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
Where Can I Get This Flowmaster 40? You Guys Talked Me Into It Lol. I Live In Dallas Texas So Surely There Is A Store I Can Go To And Pick It Up? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
eltacoloco is on a distinguished road

eltacoloco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah you guys have me sold as well donde el diablo puedo compra una ( where the hell can I buy one)
Old 01-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #8

to both eltacoloco and jasonh......try pepboys or advance auto parts, and maybe o'reilly's if you have one of those places locally.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
Cburt is on a distinguished road
Cburt's Tacoma Gallery
This thread is interesting, because I have been thinking of getting a Flowmaster myself.
One thing that I noticed was your comment that it caused your Tacoma to run at 500 RPM lower than stock.
How.............does that work?
I might believe it will seems to feel like it is running at a lower RPM, but in reality, it can't.
Still like to see some hard figures on how it affects gas milage, power, and of course I would love to hear one in person before I spend the bucks.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
eltacoloco is on a distinguished road

eltacoloco's Tacoma Gallery
thanks tacoman06 now is this a bolt on exhaust system or just a muffler??? and if it is just a muffler what inlet and outlet size do our taco's take and what size pipe do i run...
Old 01-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #11

it actually does, the rpm needle shows that the engine is fairly consistently runs at about 500 rpm lower. I'm not a pro, but what i would assume that the explanation for this is that the flowmaster is a MUCH higher flow muffler than stock with less back pressure, which means that the engine doesn't have to do as much work to keep running. less back pressure=less resistance for the engine to push against.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #12

eltacoloco,
flowmaster makes a bolt on kit, but it comes with the 50 series muffler that is a fair deal quieter. the 40 series is just the muffler. i got the 2.5 in/out. it was not a perfect fit, but for $2 at advanced autoparts, i was able to buy some metal tubing that is used as a shim to bridge the small space. it was a very easy install (this was my first time installing a muffler)
Old 01-15-2008, 06:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltacoloco View Post
thanks tacoman06 now is this a bolt on exhaust system or just a muffler??? and if it is just a muffler what inlet and outlet size do our taco's take and what size pipe do i run...

you can get a bolt on flowmaster kit for the tacoma, but it comes with a 50 series muffler instead of the 40 series(its a quieter muffler) and its rather expensive for the kit also. just get a shop to weld on a flowmaster original 40 muffler in the location of the stock muffler(and add a stainless tip for looks)
the size of the muffler inlet/outlet doesnt really matter so much especially if you get a shop to do it...or even if you are weldind it yourself, the gap would be bridged anyway. its probably easier to get a 2.5 in/out, but not necessary.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:42 PM   #14
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
it actually does, the rpm needle shows that the engine is fairly consistently runs at about 500 rpm lower. I'm not a pro, but what i would assume that the explanation for this is that the flowmaster is a MUCH higher flow muffler than stock with less back pressure, which means that the engine doesn't have to do as much work to keep running. less back pressure=less resistance for the engine to push against.
Hmmm, that doesn't make sense to me. Since it's a mechanical link that has nothing to do with the exhaust, the engine should turn at the same RPM unless you change gearing (TRD Off-Road models run at a higher RPM because the rear-end differential is different). Your engine might work less to turn a crank (use less gas) but it shouldn't change how many revolutions are required to turn your wheels. You can see the same thing when you tow. The RPMs required to get to 70mph are still the same, but it takes more power to get it there (uses more gas).
Old 01-16-2008, 01:14 AM   #15
Leer has a spectacular aura aboutLeer has a spectacular aura aboutLeer has a spectacular aura about
Name: Lee
Leer's Tacoma Gallery
So does Flowmaster make only one size 40 series muffler with a 2.5 i/o? I mean are there different lengths and what not, or will they give me the right one if I just ask for a 40 series with a 2.5 i/o.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:15 AM   #16
Cburt is on a distinguished road
Cburt's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, thats right robr I agree. He might feel like it's running at a lower rpm with a louder exhaust, but it isn't, and physicaly (mechanicaly) it's impossible.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leer View Post
So does Flowmaster make only one size 40 series muffler with a 2.5 i/o? I mean are there different lengths and what not, or will they give me the right one if I just ask for a 40 series with a 2.5 i/o.
there are different ins/outs on the flowmaster 40 mufflers.....but the 2.5 in/out will work ok.......most of them will work, just depends on how you have the muffler sitting when you weld it in, and how you sleeve or bridge the gap when you install it. here is a link to the different original 40 mufflers flowmaster offers.

http://flowmastermufflers.com/40_orig.html