Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Which CAI??? or Stock????

Old 01-14-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
nrmedic2008 is on a distinguished road
nrmedic2008's Tacoma Gallery
Which CAI??? or Stock????

I have been debating on ordering a CAI for my 06 double cab 4x4 TRD Sport for a few months now.

I have looked at many forums and have seen that CAI's have no effect, a lot of positive outcomes and some with negitive outcomes. Everyone posts something different.

I want a CAI that will give me a little bit more HP and Torque at the 2500-3000 RPM range, and possibly a few more MPG's. IF this is possible. If stock is no different let me know. Right now with the winter mixture i'm running anywhere from 15-16.5 mpg. I would like to some improvements somewhere.

I have been looking at the AFE stage II type Si, and the TRD intake, which is the same as the AFE.

I would please like some input about the CAI's. Will I enjoy the benefits of installing a CAI, or am I wasting time and money??? Let me know....
Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 AM   #2
Zebra is on a distinguished road

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
the volant has everything i want for my 2.7 tacoma

i don't have one yet but after my tax refund i will be going with the volant cold air intake, volant ram air scoop, and the volant dry filter.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nce-tests.html
Old 01-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
I've thought about an intake, bet it would sound great with teh exhaust, but decided to stay stock. There may be a slight increase in power at certain rpms, but after 3 yrs of surfing these forums, I'm not sold on mpg increases with one in these modern engines.

Since you want more at higher rpms, maybe an exhaust?

From my experience with the TRD exhaust I can say it did not increase my mileage. BUT it did change the mileage at certain rpms. For exmaple, gained 1 mpg higher in rpm range, (like 2500 rpm @70 mph), but cruising at 1500-1700 going to work on country roads(trying to get good mileage) I lost at least 1 mpg vs stock. So I usually cruise a couple hundred rpm higher with exhaust, like 1900-2100. I avg 19.5 all summer, 17 in winter (remember mines broken in, full syn thoughout, and little stop and go). Also slight bump in power in higher rpms, sounds good, looks good, doesnt rust.

No science other than 3 yrs of ownership, 1 yr stock, 2 w/ exhaust and checking my mpg each tank.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
the volant has everything i want for my 2.7 tacoma

i don't have one yet but after my tax refund i will be going with the volant cold air intake, volant ram air scoop, and the volant dry filter.
ditto...except for my 4.0
Old 01-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #7

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
ditto...except for my 4.0
http://www.autoanything.com/ has all the aforementioned volant items reasonably priced. i have never ordered from them so i do not know if they are a good company to order from. Can anyone enlighten me?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
http://www.autoanything.com/ has all the aforementioned volant items reasonably priced. i have never ordered from them so i do not know if they are a good company to order from. Can anyone enlighten me?
i was searching ebay yesterday and including shipping i can get the intake for the 4.0 and the 2.7/4.0 scoop for under $450
Old 01-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^If you're going to spend that much, you really should consider the URD intake in the link I posted.

Autoanything is a very good company. I've made 3 purchases from them without a hitch and all 3 with free shipping.

Check this out: http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide...id--26153.html
Old 01-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #10

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
^If you're going to spend that much, you really should consider the URD intake in the link I posted.
there are not as many options for the 2.7 as the 4.0. as for my decision i've always wanted a ram air scoop volant just so happens to offer one for my 4-banger. just kinda seemed like fate.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^To be honest, I wouldn't buy the URD myself. I just suggest it as an alternative because of all the great reports I've seen from forum folks. Besides, I like to support the "little guy". I would probably go with the Volant like you are and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #12

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
^To be honest, I wouldn't buy the URD myself. I just suggest it as an alternative because of all the great reports I've seen from forum folks. Besides, I like to support the "little guy". I would probably go with the Volant like you are and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
no URD CAI available for the 2.7
Old 01-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #13
Kylie's dad

I know, that's why I'm saying you'll enjoy the Volant.