LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Just Installed my TRD Cold Air Intake

Old 09-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Just Installed my TRD Cold Air Intake

AND I FREAKIN LOVE IT!

I just purchased the intake today for $260, and it only had like 50 miles on it. Upon checking out the components I concluded that it would be REALLY tough to tell the difference between the one I had and a brand new one, it was in pristine condition. Im pretty car retarded so it took me a little over an hour to install the intake but it generally went smooth. Instructions are pretty clear and straight forward.

Im not sure if I gained any HP, Chris4x4 has dyno'd the TRD intake and the results were a 3HP gain (though TRD claims 11). I don't feel any power gain and Im not sure if I feel the increased throttle response that many claim but one thing I do feel/hear is the increased roar of the engine. I know most people like their mods and money to increase performance and so do I, but in this case, I think the money I spent is worth the aesthetics of the CAI. The engine roars at ~3k RPM and screams (manly scream tho, lol) when I floor it. I absolutely love the intake.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
TacomaTim is on a distinguished road
TacomaTim's Tacoma Gallery
trd intake

So how tough is it to install? Does the part come with instrux or did you get them somewhere else. I'm very car retarded but can usually figure out mechanical things. Do you think I could handle it?

Looks very cool and the sound must be great.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Thanks.

I havent really looked at the pictures until now, I just kind of posted them asap. But man my bay is pretty dirty. Kinda bothering me now. lol
Old 09-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good!!! Now you have started down the dark road of truck mods, from now on you'll be on this site like a crack head lookin' for a fix.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaTim View Post
So how tough is it to install? Does the part come with instrux or did you get them somewhere else. I'm very car retarded but can usually figure out mechanical things. Do you think I could handle it?

Looks very cool and the sound must be great.
Yea I would strongly recommend you do it on your own. Im just now learning to work on my truck (I barely learned to change oil like 1.5 months ago) and the install was pretty simple. The instructions are very clear (perhaps some of the clearest Ive had) and the entire install can be completed with a basic socket set and a couple screw drivers. Really easy. Do it yourself. Plus, youll learn something about your truck, gain experience, and save money!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of

Quote:
Dude I'm the "King of the Mechanically Challenged' and I did this mod. You can do it!!! It's not that hard, just make sure you take you time, read the instructions BEFORE you start and before long you'll be tackling the heavy mods.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty's Taco View Post
Looks good!!! Now you have started down the dark road of truck mods, from now on you'll be on this site like a crack head lookin' for a fix.
I caught the mod bug the day before I bought my Tacoma. Lol. Ive only had it for 3 months and have (IMO) modded the shit out of it given the relatively short time. I just purchased some sliders too which should arrive in 2 weeks and I get my new Total Chaos Control Arms on tomorrow morning. lol.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
Thanks.

I havent really looked at the pictures until now, I just kind of posted them asap. But man my bay is pretty dirty. Kinda bothering me now. lol
Are you kidding? I was going to make a comment on how you should go mudding and get your new intake dirty but I didn't want to veer off topic.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
Are you kidding? I was going to make a comment on how you should go mudding and get your new intake dirty but I didn't want to veer off topic.
lol.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #13
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Will that be smog legal in California?
no. thats the only worry I have. Anybody know how long California gives until you have to smog a car? I have an 09, purchased in June.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #14
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
Padilla1880's Tacoma Gallery
5 years to smog on new vehicles in CA. I'm due March next year!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #15
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone else notice that it sounds different in hot weather?

When it's above 90F degrees outside, my TRD CAI sounds completely different (louder) and is much more noticable at lower RPM than it is for cooler weather.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Check out the smoked plexiglass cover that coupe posted 8-31-09 not sure how to give you the link for it, the title was just installed my trd cai.
I got one from him and really like it. $90 if you want one like this.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #18
mas32259 will become famous soon enoughmas32259 will become famous soon enough

Navy: MM
Name: Mike
mas32259's Tacoma Gallery
Intake

I am going to hold off on the intake for my 2010 and working on the interior for now. Just did the speakers Infinity Reference 6020cs 6-1/2"/6-3/4" 2-way (93db@1w) 2 ohms so I can get the most out of stock head unit, From Crutchfield with mount rings and harness free. Trim (carbon fiber and chrome) custom order, From carid.com...... Ipod interface, got free from dealer.... Shifter, and pedals from OBX.....The intake has not been aproved yet. How is your mileage after the intake? There are so many posts on that subject. I just want the #s from dyno tests and gas mileage, not opinions. It looks so cool I will get it and the cat back exhaust.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #19
Hi
I haven't really calculated mpg with it bc I've only had it for two days but Ive heard 1-2MPG gain. I'm not really expecting much since I got a kick @as deal on it.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #20
ggerdsen is on a distinguished road

ggerdsen's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you all find those TRD plexiglass covers??

Products Discussed in this Thread