Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Difference in CAI vs. drop in filters

Old 01-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Difference in CAI vs. drop in filters

Waiting on a 08 with the 4.0 V6.
Have a oem K&N in my '99 3.4 V6 now.
On the '99 I didn't really notice that much more power over stock along with some increase in sound. I opened up the front of the stock air box by drilling 1/2" holes between the little molded squares. I feel if nothing else I saved on the cost of paper filters over the last 9 years with modest power increase. My Question is two fold. #1 Does the new oil free oem filters by AFE filter enough and is any power gained comparable to the K&N? I never had a problem with the oil messing with the sensor on the '99. #2 Does the full change out to a CAI add that much over the drop in's. Thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post
Waiting on a 08 with the 4.0 V6.
Have a oem K&N in my '99 3.4 V6 now.
On the '99 I didn't really notice that much more power over stock along with some increase in sound. I opened up the front of the stock air box by drilling 1/2" holes between the little molded squares. I feel if nothing else I saved on the cost of paper filters over the last 9 years with modest power increase. My Question is two fold. #1 Does the new oil free oem filters by AFE filter enough and is any power gained comparable to the K&N? I never had a problem with the oil messing with the sensor on the '99. #2 Does the full change out to a CAI add that much over the drop in's. Thanks
The dry type AFE is rated to filter as well as or better than the K&N with no risk of damage to your MAF sensor.

I "feel" that there was more power gained with the AFE filter in my 4.0L 07 than with a K&N in my 2.7L 04. However, I know that is not an apples to apples comparison, so I don't have a completely sound oppinion here, just sharing my personal observations.

As afr as drop-in vs CAI. To my eye, the stock air box assmebly does not look to be that restrictive, so realistically I don't see how there could be that much gained from an in the engine bay NQRTCAI "not quite really that cold air intake" Again, just my opinion, and that opinion does not extend to the URD True Cold Air Intake, as I can easilly see how that one is able to make more power.

Just my $0.02 Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Same thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
The dry type AFE is rated to filter as well as or better than the K&N with no risk of damage to your MAF sensor.

I "feel" that there was more power gained with the AFE filter in my 4.0L 07 than with a K&N in my 2.7L 04. However, I know that is not an apples to apples comparison, so I don't have a completely sound oppinion here, just sharing my personal observations.

As afr as drop-in vs CAI. To my eye, the stock air box assmebly does not look to be that restrictive, so realistically I don't see how there could be that much gained from an in the engine bay NQRTCAI "not quite really that cold air intake" Again, just my opinion, and that opinion does not extend to the URD True Cold Air Intake, as I can easilly see how that one is able to make more power.

Just my $0.02 Your mileage may vary.
Thanks,
AFE's web sight is kind of shy on spec's. Like I thought and you agreed awhile back that AFE made the TRD drop-in in the oil version. I am getting wary of the oil version's reading these posts. As stated I had no trouble on the '99. The oil free version sounds to good to be true! Simply tap, vacume, or wash with soap and water depending how dirty for the life of the truck. I may have to just drive it stock for awhile anyway just to feel the difference 46 more HP and about the same in TQ is going to be over the '99 while I decide.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
FJ FTW!
southern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

southern_x's Tacoma Gallery
afe intake FTW!! i just put mine on today boy is it hard not to step on the gas the sound is amazing and on the butt dyno feels more aggressive lol, oh yea i put in some bi zenon hid's also oh yea!!
Old 01-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #5

Hi S-X,
Which one exactly did you put on? AFE's sight says metal housing but as stated above the tech. said that #51-11352 is now composite. Thats why I'm asking. K&N shows almost a .5 hp loss with the metal 77 vs. the 63 composite do to heat transfer I guess. As above let us know how the mileage acts and are you going with exhaust as well? Later
Old 01-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
FJ FTW!
southern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

southern_x's Tacoma Gallery
i have the afe dry filter system, the intake tube(part from the filter to the throttle body) is not metal its composite or something or another, the heat shield is metal but its coated with something i just got back from a 1.5 hr off road adventure and the tube is rather cool and the heat shield doesn't seem to be that hot, how ever on my civic si an hour long drive on the highway and the intake (metal tube) is pretty hot. i do plan on changing out the exhaust system when i get some more $$ to spare
Old 02-26-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
If you haven't already bought one, you should look into the intake from URD. www.urdusa.com I have one and love it. The sound and power are both great from this.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #8

Thanks for the imput. I went with the drop in oil free AFE and removed the secondary as well. Throatier sound and seems more responsive all the way around.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Blue05tacoma is on a distinguished road

Blue05tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
If you haven't already bought one, you should look into the intake from URD. www.urdusa.com I have one and love it. The sound and power are both great from this.

How hard was the URD to install? From the pictures on their website, it looks as though you have to remove your factory grille just to make it fit.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue05tacoma View Post
How hard was the URD to install? From the pictures on their website, it looks as though you have to remove your factory grille just to make it fit.
Not too hard. The grill comes off easy. It is the cutting of the metal that made me nervous. You need to cut the sheet metal next to the headlight. You will also have to extend the MAF wires to reach the front of the truck.

I'd rather install another intake than another MAF calibrator.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #11
Blue05tacoma is on a distinguished road

Blue05tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
That is what i was afraid of with that system. Thanks for the info because i really dont want to have to do any cutting if at all possible.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #12
08_TACO_offroad is on a distinguished road

Name: Jacob
08_TACO_offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 08_TACO_offroad
I just put in a TRD CAI, and it was very easy to install, no cutting like with the URD, no problems what so ever. The TRD also sounds great and some great kick to go with it!