Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

TRD CAI Question

Old 01-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
erock is on a distinguished road

erock's Tacoma Gallery
TRD CAI Question

I have the TRD Cold Air system installed. Will popping the lid off the box give me more air for the filter or just expose it to more particles? Right now it's entirely sealed in except for the air it draws from the hole in the firewall thaqt seems to come up from the front tire well. I'm looking for maximum efficiency and hp. Thanks for any responses.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
if u take the lid off, ur gonna be exposing it to draw in hot air from inside the engine compartment. so not only dirtier, but hotter as well
Old 01-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Defying Alliances since 2007
TacoTurd will become famous soon enoughTacoTurd will become famous soon enough

TacoTurd's Tacoma Gallery
^ +1 Would defeat the whole purpose.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #4

erock's Tacoma Gallery
But how is that different from other CIA systems that all seem to have an open compartment housing? Like the K & N and Airade which I have seen on many members taco descriptions. That's where I got the question in the first place...It seems that most other CAI's draw from the air coming in from the front. Though I know that the Taco's sits on the side wheel well. Yet theirs must work to some degree.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
Spyder327 is on a distinguished road

Spyder327's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Spyder327
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock View Post
But how is that different from other CIA systems that all seem to have an open compartment housing? Like the K & N and Airade which I have seen on many members taco descriptions. That's where I got the question in the first place...It seems that most other CAI's draw from the air coming in from the front. Though I know that the Taco's sits on the side wheel well. Yet theirs must work to some degree.
what makes you think any air is coming in from the front? If you look at the grill area and what not, it's pretty well blocked off. Just because aftermarket ones are how you described them, doesn't mean they really work to any good degree. No intake will work wonders regardless, but i can guarantee TRD's is like that for a reason. I wouldn't alter how it comes.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
silvertaco408 is on a distinguished road
silvertaco408's Tacoma Gallery
I know that my K&N 77 intake has a tubing around the top of the casing around the filter that seals with the hood. So the filter is enclosed when the hood is shut. The trd one is in the box so it is enclosed all the time... wouldnt take the top off is I was you because it would just expose it more to particles. Just my guess though.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:59 AM   #7

erock's Tacoma Gallery
From my understanding the whole point of the "Cold Air Intake" was to take air in from the front, unless of course there is an alternative access point like the Tacoma's firewall.

That would make more sense to me that the hood seals the top of the other aftermarket filters. So, I guess the lid stays on
Old 01-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
MaGuyver is on a distinguished road

MaGuyver's Tacoma Gallery
Could you put a hole in the side or back and run tubing (of some type) from the front grill to the box? Like a deck plate mod but smaller and with a hose/tube.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
kidthatsirish is on a distinguished road
kidthatsirish's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking something like this as well....either routing a tube to the grill itself, or perhaps getting a hood with a scoop and cutting and making an intake from a functioning hood scoop. That would provide pretty friggin cold air!
Old 01-31-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
MaGuyver is on a distinguished road

MaGuyver's Tacoma Gallery
Beware of vapor lock. Plus a scoop would suck more bugs and dirt. You would have to clean it more. But, I do like a working scoop. If I put a tube to the front I would angle it down so the water, bug, dirt problem would be as bad.