Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Thermostat upgrade

Old 02-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
kidthatsirish is on a distinguished road
kidthatsirish's Tacoma Gallery
Thermostat upgrade

Just a question....

On some vehicles it has been shown that you can gain some horsepower by using a lower temp thermostat than normal (makes the engine think its cooler than it should be and makes it run richer).

I have seen it work on some vehicles, I just wonder if it would work on a tacoma or if anyone has ever tried it.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
not sure...i had a 180* thermostat instead of the 210* stock one and it ran better....not sure about the taco
Old 02-04-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
Leer has a spectacular aura aboutLeer has a spectacular aura aboutLeer has a spectacular aura about
Name: Lee
Leer's Tacoma Gallery
running a lower t-stat is more for heat soak than making the engine run richer. Engines will always run more efficient in a higher heat range, but will have more actual power with a slightly lower heat range.

Have you ever notice that sometimes when you are in stop and go traffic, your car seems like it has lost some power, and with that, have you ever noticed thate when you first start you car up (espicially in the mornings) and drive it, it feel like it has more power than normal?

This is due to heat-soak. All engines suffer from it, some just more than others. I know it really affects v-8's, but this is my first experience with a toyota v-6 so I can't tell you how much of a difference you will feel.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:17 AM   #4
Obama can suck-it
TSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the rough
TSUNAMI*22's Tacoma Gallery
As long as it doesn't screw up the ECU I'd run a lower t-stat. Heat is the enemy of engines. Especially the oil.

There's an optimum heat range that engines like. Too much heat and you'll get preignition and detonation. Basically that's like taking a sledge hammer and hitting the top of your piston on every stroke.

Rich mixture is good for start-ups, but not for normal operation. It just wastes fuel and creates a lot of carbon depositing.

Leaner is bad at start-ups but better during normal and high altitude operations.

Tacoma's, from what I've read, are rich overall and could stand some leaning to gain horsepower (better fuel/air ratio). Unfortunately, a really lean burning engine creates more heat as well, so a lower t-stat would help (maybe).

Richening the mixture actually cools the combustion process and reduces horsepower unless you match the increased fuel weight by also increasing the air volume during the intake.

Rich=cool burn
lean=hot burn
too lean=bad news=motor go big bada boom.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSUNAMI*22 View Post
Tacoma's, from what I've read, are rich overall and could stand some leaning to gain horsepower (better fuel/air ratio). Unfortunately, a really lean burning engine creates more heat as well, so a lower t-stat would help (maybe).
Good observation, that makes sense. If i ever get a MAFC i'll look into getting a low temp tstat to compensate.