Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

No secondary air filter benefits

Old 02-15-2008, 06:20 AM   #21
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
I removed the secondary filter intact and could reinstall it if needed for some reason in the future. If you look at the airbox assembly the secondary filter is nowhere close to the drop in filter and won't have any effect on how well closing the airbox seals the drop in's edges
I don't know about the '06. I have read some changes were made in 07 as far as engine? All I can tell you is that on my 08 with the V6 the drop in AFE is almost touching the secondary filter when installed. Also its placement seems to act as a spacer for the primary filter when you snap the fasteners.

Anybody on this. I am just assuming the next white looking filter, with aprox. 6 plastic rivets holding it, in the airbox right by the primary filter is indeed the secondary we are talking about.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:53 AM   #22
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post
I don't know about the '06. I have read some changes were made in 07 as far as engine? All I can tell you is that on my 08 with the V6 the drop in AFE is almost touching the secondary filter when installed. Also its placement seems to act as a spacer for the primary filter when you snap the fasteners.

Anybody on this. I am just assuming the next white looking filter, with aprox. 6 plastic rivets holding it, in the airbox right by the primary filter is indeed the secondary we are talking about.
I am not sure I am following you here.

The AFE filter is not quite half as short front to back as the stock paper filter is. How could the afe filter be almost hitting if the stock filter doesn't. I had no problem installing mine, and everything fit correctly. A buddy has my truck right now as he is moving this weekend, or I'd go take some pictures for you.

Also there have been no engine changes made to the 4.0 from 05 to 08, the only difference has ever been that the octane of the test gas was changed and that is where the lower horsepower and torque numbers come from.

Any yes the white charcoal impregnated filter heald in by 6 plastic rivits is the secondary filter.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:21 AM   #23
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
I am not sure I am following you here.

The AFE filter is not quite half as short front to back as the stock paper filter is. How could the afe filter be almost hitting if the stock filter doesn't. I had no problem installing mine, and everything fit correctly. A buddy has my truck right now as he is moving this weekend, or I'd go take some pictures for you.

Also there have been no engine changes made to the 4.0 from 05 to 08, the only difference has ever been that the octane of the test gas was changed and that is where the lower horsepower and torque numbers come from.

Any yes the white charcoal impregnated filter heald in by 6 plastic rivits is the secondary filter.
I now see that Roland has a I4 with a different air box. I was meaning that they are literally right together in the air box. Hey it must be this age thing or denial that I should really wear the glasses more. I just went out and looked with a flashlight and the readers and the primary does indeed set on a different lip about 1 " from the secondary. Guess that gives me something to do today after I get the rear speakers in. I got the front ones in yesterday. While wearing the glasses I might add.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:19 AM   #24
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
you mean the war between redneck texans, dumb carolinians, and SOB canadians?
we're not dumb, we're just poorly educated and drunk...... and maybe a little dumb....
Old 02-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #25
TimTac is on a distinguished road
TimTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
GOOD LINK 1killerkaw

and it does not affect what goes out the tailpipe agreed
but read above link and realize they do check !
and in the old carb days there was a charcoal canister under the hood and the SMOG folks would check it too !

all i am saying is if you live in calif or a few other states you have been warned about it

new cars do not need smog checks for 5 years but then get it every other year and after a few years it is a "smog only" test performed and a lot more extensive and can not be "fixed" and at $40 a test i want to pass the first time

Hmmm.....this got me thinking..... I got pulled over by the smog patrol in ontario a few years ago I ended up with a $300+ fine for one line having wiggled lose from that charcoal canister. It was an old f150 ford in rough shape which is probably why i was targeted in the first place...... so now i'm thinking they would probably feel the same about that secondary air filter missing....if they caught me.

I don't know anyone else that's been stopped randomly for a smog check in ontario. Anyone know if it's still happening/how common it is?

I'll probably put the filter back just for the E-test and drive on.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #26
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got pulled over by the smog patrol in ontario a few years ago
Wow, thanks for reminding me that California isn't 100% orewellian yet.

I took mine out yesterday (4-cyl). Seems to have a little better power on the freeway, but I did it for improved MPG. How is it that trapping evap. emissions but cutting mileage by 2+mpg is good?

If we do the math 23 mpg vs 25 mpg over 100K is 4348 gallons vs 4000 gallons. I'm saving 348 gallons of fuel every 100k miles with it removed (more or less) but the evap emissions are not that much. It's a small amount and it varies with temp. and environment.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #27

Just took it out, now to replace the rear speakers. I had the shop vac handy after removal and just for grins I put the nozzle against the secondary and turned it on and was truly shocked how you couldn't feel the effect of the vacume through the filter. You can see right through the thing, but damn if it isn't restrictive. Drove it and maybe a little throatier sound and a little better throttle response. Isn't this what days off are for.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #28
bbarian333 is on a distinguished road

bbarian333's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Phantom for the California info , I think i'll leave my secondary in for the next couple years while im still in Cali. Plan on moving to Virginia. There i will get rid of it along with a couple of cats.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #29
Obama can suck-it
TSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the rough
TSUNAMI*22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
Based on that link, it really makes me wonder why the filter is in-line all the time. Seems to me it would make more sense to have some sort of valve to direct air through it or not just based upon when it's needed, which seems to be while the engine is off (to capture emissions) and the first couple of minutes of running (to emit captured emissions into engine for burning). After that, switch it out of the airflow with some sort of valve so you have a better breathing engine.
Valves require moving parts. Moving parts eventually break or cease to funtion properly.

The way it's installed right now is good because it does the job with zero maintenance.

Don't forget to take into consideration the culture that decided how to impliment this product in its application.

They kept it simple.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #30
Obama can suck-it
TSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the rough
TSUNAMI*22's Tacoma Gallery
BTW,

Instead of removing the stupid thing, wouldn't it be easier (even though more expensive) just to by a new top-cover to the air box.

One for having it when it needs to be smogged.

One (with permanent removal of charcoal filter) for after it is smogged.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:31 AM   #31
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
This will be one of the first things I do to my new truck...thanks guys
Old 03-20-2008, 06:38 AM   #32
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
This will be one of the first things I do to my new truck...thanks guys
Any time. Helping people improve their Tacomas is just part of our fun!

Welcome to TacomaWorld.