1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No secondary air filter benefits

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by BIGLuke, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Feb 6, 2008 at 5:46 PM
    BIGLuke

BIGLuke [OP] I'm a TW addict!

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 tacoma SR5 Double Cab Shortbed Speedwy
    Just a question to all of you out there. I was wondering how many of you have remover the secondary air filter, and also did it do any good for you, maybe something bad happened because of it. What about the gas milage did it improve or get worse. I'm mainly concerned if buy removing the filter anything bad happened. All responses are welcome, and thanks in advace.

2. Feb 6, 2008 at 5:56 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i removed the sec. air filter on my 06 prerunner with the 4.0 v6, and it didnt make that much of a difference as far as mileage, maybe throttle response is a tad better, and it definitely made it a little louder also(well, i have an airaid intake too). 007tacoma(mark) did a write up about it, and his is a 4 banger,and he and others with the 4banger say there is a big difference by removing the sec filter.

check out this thread......

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/2012-diy-secondary-air-filter-removal.html

3. Feb 6, 2008 at 5:57 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I removed mine because I was installing my URD intake. It is definitely louder now.

4. Feb 6, 2008 at 9:00 PM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I doubt it. It looks like a piece of cloth that is stretched over the intake. I bet it doesn't effect emissions in any way. And I bet most people wouldn't even notice if it was gone.

5. Feb 6, 2008 at 9:01 PM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    but, I'd probably leave it in tact and just install a CAI. Return to stock when it's time for emissions tests.

6. Feb 7, 2008 at 3:28 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I took mine out...and haven't really noticed any difference. Maybe a little better throttle response. Nothing has happened to force me to put it back in.

7. Feb 7, 2008 at 7:12 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    I'll confirm the slightly better throttle response, and I add to that about a half mile per gallon improvement in fuel mileage. (I was obsessively tracking my mileage in preperation for the ECO System test when I did it.) 4.0L v6 6 speed manual 4x4 access cab.

8. Feb 7, 2008 at 12:27 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    The secondary filter is there to absorb hydrocarbons from any unburned fuel from escaping out of the engine thru the airbox and into the atmosphere when the engine is turned off.

IMHO It won't have any effect on exhaust emmissions because

a) Unless you were running the truck in a NBC like contaminated area there is nothing a carbon filter could do to change what exits the tail pipe.

b) The airflow into the running engine is too great for such a thin layer of charcoal to have time to remove anything harmful. That would take a complex (and extreemly restrictive) filteration system, something like a giant paint respirator which would have to be changed after a set number of hours of operation.

9. Feb 7, 2008 at 12:41 PM
    1killerkaw

1killerkaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver DC LB SR5 4x4 Tow Pkg.
    Pop-N-Lock, AFE OE Replacement Pro Dry S, 20% tint all the way around, 6000k Bi-Xenon HIDs, 3" Dynomax super turbo muffler, ATC LED Limited campershell, Bedrug, Suspension TSB.
  10. Feb 7, 2008 at 1:58 PM
    1killerkaw

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pop-N-Lock, AFE OE Replacement Pro Dry S, 20% tint all the way around, 6000k Bi-Xenon HIDs, 3" Dynomax super turbo muffler, ATC LED Limited campershell, Bedrug, Suspension TSB.
    I wish the members of TN agreed with you. It turned into a flame fest.

11. Feb 7, 2008 at 2:17 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    Based on that link, it really makes me wonder why the filter is in-line all the time. Seems to me it would make more sense to have some sort of valve to direct air through it or not just based upon when it's needed, which seems to be while the engine is off (to capture emissions) and the first couple of minutes of running (to emit captured emissions into engine for burning). After that, switch it out of the airflow with some sort of valve so you have a better breathing engine.

12. Feb 7, 2008 at 2:39 PM
    Roland

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Flame fest?? There's been no flaming here... If you want to see flames you should check out the "How did the war start?" thread. :)

I like Sawdust's idea but I don't see the auto makers spending the money to do something that fancy(expensive).

13. Feb 7, 2008 at 2:55 PM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    you mean the war between redneck texans, dumb carolinians, and SOB canadians?

14. Feb 7, 2008 at 2:57 PM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    so long secondary air filter thread...

15. Feb 7, 2008 at 3:05 PM
    Roland

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    I just realized I never answered the original question. Sorry about that.

I had posted on that other thread when I removed secondary filter that I noticed better throttle response and the truck has an easier time maintaining speed climbing hills on cruise control.

I am obsessive about tracking my gas use and compared the average of the two tanks used before removing the secondary filter to the two tanks used after removal. It gave me an increase of about .9 mpg.

No negative side effects after about 1000 miles. Since these engines did not have that filter in the years before 2005 I don't expect any. Some people mention their truck sounds louder after removing the filter but I didn't notice any real change in the sound.

Hope that helps!

16. Feb 7, 2008 at 4:10 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    come on man, get it right..............dumb texans,redneck carolinians, and then sob canadians!!! i thought you knew better man:rolleyes:!!

17. Feb 7, 2008 at 4:48 PM
    BIGLuke

BIGLuke [OP] I'm a TW addict!

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 tacoma SR5 Double Cab Shortbed Speedwy
    wow guys thanks for all the responses greatly apreciated. so i'm about to go to take that filter off cant wait to see what happens. buy the way for those of you that wanted to know where i live, i'm in IL. thanks again

18. Feb 7, 2008 at 5:22 PM
    1killerkaw

Member:
    Vehicle:
    This would not only be expensive as mentioned, but more moving parts that would either need servicing or they would have operating problems as they got older. I know on my 7.3l Ford Diesel I removed the exhaust back pressure valve out of the turbine housing because it does fail and you won't know it until it gets horrible mileage or a loss in power and its a pita to deal with because you have to take the turbo off.

19. Feb 14, 2008 at 10:00 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    I started to drill mine out tonight. Got to looking and it seems that removing it with even the AFE oil free drop in, made out of rubber on the edges, there would be some slop in the fit allowing stuff to bypass the filter into the engine. Those that have removed the secondary have you just cut it out leaving the outer edge or what has been used as a spacer? Thanks :confused:

20. Feb 15, 2008 at 5:54 AM
    Roland

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    I removed the secondary filter intact and could reinstall it if needed for some reason in the future. If you look at the airbox assembly the secondary filter is nowhere close to the drop in filter and won't have any effect on how well closing the airbox seals the drop in's edges

Products Discussed in

To Top