1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wanting to kick it up a notch... beyond the same ol' URD and TRD stuff.

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by AxxSxxB, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Oct 27, 2009 at 4:20 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Are you planning on keeping the truck at stock height? Man it would have been sweet if it was an x-runner.

2. Oct 27, 2009 at 4:57 PM
    jaxchrisfla

jaxchrisfla Well-Known Member

Member:
    flooriduh
    lots
    i know of a guy who dropped the whole 2j setup in the truck, and had a tranny behind it, but never finished the swap.

youll need to go single turbo
    run the r154 tranny
    make your own mounts
    new radiator with electric push fans
    full stand alone

and a lot more.

3. Oct 27, 2009 at 9:32 PM
    Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    '20 Grey TRD Off-Road 6spd
    TC +2 LT, Kings, BAMF Armor, 35s, gears
  4. Nov 1, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    xsvtoyz

xsvtoyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    03 Pre-Runner Inprogress
    HID (ACA)/ Web cams/ Header/Full Custom exhaust/ K&N FIPK II/SuperCharger
    wow the BS meter is pegged. Whats the point of building power if you know nothing? The point of building your own is its yours! If you are just going to spend money for power just get an old lightning and upgrade a few things. We cant explain what you need to know by typing a few lines of text, if you know zip then start at the Barnes & Noble or the library and work up from there.

5. Nov 4, 2009 at 3:27 PM
    matt z

matt z Active Member

Member:
    Madison WI
    Vehicle:
    '06 BSP 4x4 access cab 4.0
    Sweat thread. I hate to be the dick who rains on the parade. But as far as i know, (at least in Wisconsin) its not legal to swap in an engine that was never intended for that vehicle. Im not sure what the laws are where you are.

On the plus side. the only way you could get caught is if you bring the tacoma in for an emissions test.

what i would do: Supercharger, 7th injector, cold air intake, Nos, aluminum pistons, new crank shaft (increase compression), cams, new calibrated computer, and run the highest octane gas you can find.
    that combo may blow the engine apart as soon as you hit the Nos button.... but it would be AWESOME

Good luck, Keep us posted

6. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:22 AM
    ggerdsen

ggerdsen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 4 cyl PreRunner
    Bwaahahahahahahahaahhaha

7. Nov 8, 2009 at 10:33 AM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    I'm assuming your new to the modding world, and don't have much mechanical experience, so I'll try to be gentle...

You should really reconsider your proposed mod list, and do some research before pursuing the items in your list.

8. Nov 8, 2009 at 5:51 PM
    matt z

matt z Active Member

Member:
    Madison WI
    Vehicle:
    no need to be gentle. Ive been a diesel mech. the last 5 summers. So if there is something you need explained feel free to ask if you are confused.

9. Nov 8, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    XrunnIT

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    What do you think the stock pistons are made of that makes aluminum such an upgrade? The stock pistons are eutectic.

using the crankshaft to increase compression... why would you use the crankshaft to increase CR??

You want to run boost, nitrous AND up the compression? You can't ask for a better recipe for disaster. What may work on diesels, may or may not work on a gas motor, and the 1GR to be more specific.

10. Nov 9, 2009 at 5:03 AM
    matt z

matt z Active Member

Member:
    Madison WI
    Vehicle:
    ok thanks, my mistake about the pistons.

a crankshaft with a greater off set journals would increase the stroke on the pistons. and then therefore increase compression at tdc.

as for that combo being a recipe for disaster.... I said that exact same thing in my first post.

The engines i work on have over 20:1 compression and are running turbos. high compression + boost = power.

sorry for the confusion,
    matt

11. Nov 9, 2009 at 7:18 AM
    XrunnIT

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Stock CR is 10:1, even if you wanted to up that to an 12:1 (max I'd recommend N/A, and would never recommend raising it with boost), simply replacing the pistons would be much simpler, as there are already 2 or 3 different brand of pistons available for our motors, and no aftermarket cranks.

High compression + boost = a TON of heat. Gas motors aren't built like diesel, so unfortunately we can't get away with that. But damn, i bet that would be a kick in the pants for sure!!

*EDIT*
    Another thing, increasing the stroke is also going to increase the piston speed. it would be much more reliable to keep the stroke and bore relatively equal. Doing that will give you great power + keep the OEM reliability.

The stock stroke is at 95mm already, that paired with our 5500-6200rpm redline will lead to a high piston speed. I wouldn't want to raise that any more.

12. Nov 9, 2009 at 8:13 AM
    matt z

matt z Active Member

Member:
    Madison WI
    Vehicle:
    good point....

Personally I would be happy with a TRD supercharger kit and leave it at that. Whoever it was that started this thread said he wanted 400+ hp, and had 30k to spend on it. Im thinking OEM reliability is not that high on his priority list.

When i first wrote that i was just thinking of the craziest things we have ever thought up (or tried) at work. But i think we can both agree: It would be EXTREMELY fun (for a short time), but NOT a good idea.

13. Nov 9, 2009 at 1:09 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Don't forget diesel engines are compression ignition, you would have a very tough time I would think getting a diesel to even fire with 10:1 compression? Also very very different built methods, think a STOCK VW 3.0L TDI has 33psi boost!

14. Nov 13, 2009 at 11:09 AM
    dtr_duck

dtr_duck Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    Haughton ,LA
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    with an alluminum block you would think it would just be a pile of molton aluminum

15. Nov 14, 2009 at 11:09 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Most modern engine blocks are made of aluminum! Including the one in my Toyota V6!

16. Nov 23, 2009 at 1:41 PM
    Jotun

Jotun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Rucker, AL
    Vehicle:
    DBL cab LB TRD Sport PreRunner
    I would drop compression to 8.5-9.0:1 go turbo and all associated mods with that to include forged internals, balance and blueprint, deck the head Titanium valve springs, cams, valve work, Meth injection, Stand alone AEM comp, and much much more that I have not listed.....even then you will have to be careful and raise boost at intervals because I have not seen what these motors can do under high boost setups and for all I know could grenade=wasted money....

Products Discussed in

To Top