Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Are Headers worth it?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Are Headers worth it?

Not looking to fabricate. Looking for true Bolt on. Anyone out there installed headers, and were they worth any increse in power and sound?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have them, but they sound nice. Until you tweak the sensors, you'll get codes, and the power is said to be O.K. to no change at all.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thats what im afraid of. I think I will just start working toward suspension. Liking the power increase from CAI & Exh. Thanks...
Old 02-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
MaGuyver is on a distinguished road

MaGuyver's Tacoma Gallery
They better be! I bought DT short tube headers but have not put them on yet. I hear that they do help but you need to do CAI and maybe exhaust.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
Spyder327 is on a distinguished road

Spyder327's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Spyder327
The short tube headers (either doug thorley or JBA) require welding for the installation and provide what i would call kind of minimal power.

However, the doug thorley long tube headers replace the manifolds and the front set of cats. That being said, they produce a very impressive amount of power and are truly bolt-on. You will get a check engine light from it though until you install an O2 simulator
Old 02-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Enjoying my addiction

Thanks for the info..

Will hold off til I decide to go all out and Super Charge.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:36 PM   #7
95.5taco will become famous soon enough95.5taco will become famous soon enough

95.5taco's Tacoma Gallery
i bought Downey Offroad headers for my first gen taco, i have not installed them but they say it gives 11-15hp just with them, get a better muffler and a free flow/performance cat and you may look at 20hp increase, thats what I am hoping for, especially with the cold air intake and spacer, I am also hoping my mpg will go up if I ain't flying around to make it squeal!!!!!1
Old 02-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Big Guns is on a distinguished road
Big Guns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95.5taco View Post
i bought Downey Offroad headers for my first gen taco, i have not installed them but they say it gives 11-15hp just with them, get a better muffler and a free flow/performance cat and you may look at 20hp increase, thats what I am hoping for, especially with the cold air intake and spacer, I am also hoping my mpg will go up if I ain't flying around to make it squeal!!!!!1
I had discussed this topic with some of the guys over at TTORA, and i was told that even after CAI, Headers, exhaust you are looking at 10-15hp gains, with some torque changes as well. The DT long tubes claimed 30hp+ on FJ's on their website, but i doubt that you will really get that big of a change. Unless a member on here can throw out some dyno sheets or numbers, then i dont really trust what the manufacturer claims. I have done that with CAI's and even exhausts, but all you really get is a nice sound.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Guns View Post
I had discussed this topic with some of the guys over at TTORA, and i was told that even after CAI, Headers, exhaust you are looking at 10-15hp gains, with some torque changes as well. The DT long tubes claimed 30hp+ on FJ's on their website, but i doubt that you will really get that big of a change. Unless a member on here can throw out some dyno sheets or numbers, then i dont really trust what the manufacturer claims. I have done that with CAI's and even exhausts, but all you really get is a nice sound.
This is a bit off topic, but my URD intake decreased my 0-60 time by .4 seconds. I think that makes it well worth it. I am going to install the MAF calibrator tonight and will try to get some new numbers for that. I'm keeping updates at http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nce-tests.html
Old 03-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #10
pumo420 is on a distinguished road

pumo420's Tacoma Gallery
well i just got some doug thorley long tube headers put on today, i tried to do it myself and got the left header on, but couldn;t get the right one on, soo i took to the local muffler shop got it put on. it sounds really good and found some power gain, i yet have to put the o2 simulater on i have it but me and wires do not get along that easily. ill get a video up soon just waiting for my camare to charge,

Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #11
Addicted Mod'r
ToyoComp is on a distinguished road

ToyoComp's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the pictures. What did you pay for the DT long tube headers and did it come with the O2 simulator? Do you also plan to eliminate the second level catalytic converters? I believe URD makes an X pipe that will connect from your new headers to the point in which the two pipes flow into one.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #12
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoComp View Post
Thanks for the pictures. What did you pay for the DT long tube headers and did it come with the O2 simulator? Do you also plan to eliminate the second level catalytic converters? I believe URD makes an X pipe that will connect from your new headers to the point in which the two pipes flow into one.
I've heard that removing all the cats makes it too loud. I don't think that is the route most people go. Only place I know that sells the headers is C2C and URD. C2C often has group buys on the headers. I think they just finished one, so you might have to wait a few months for it to come again.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #13
pumo420 is on a distinguished road

pumo420's Tacoma Gallery
when you order the dt long tubes from urd it comes with an option of getting the o2 sensor for 29.99 more it ran 515 for the headers. but yeah my truck is alot louder i have a nice rumble sounds close to a v8. i have no plans on getting the y pipe. i heard that you would lose power with the headers and y pipe, i think has to do with backpressure dont qoute me on that.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #14
Enjoying my addiction

Exclamation Are Headers worth it?

Well, guess I will let you all know in couple days.... Ironic that this thread popped back up, but yeah I will be installing and completing my exhaust sytem... why not